• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TOOLvn- Best IMR10440 Clicky of 2015

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Why putting an IMR10440 in a regular AAA light is bad:

1. LED mounted on aluminum MBPCB/Heat sink. Aluminum sounds good but the LED actually sits on an insulator layer which doesn't relive heat from the LED fast enough when over driven with a IMR10440.

2. Circuit components are typically rated about 2V to boost max efficiency. When you put in 4.2V things goes into direct drive and all sort of things like transistors can overheat and go. Power=Current*Volatge, A linear relation, Upping voltage surpasses the max power handling of all parts and they will inevitable fail.

3. If the components do not fail completely their specs will change over time and thus you can not go back to AAA anymore.

4. LEDs life dramatically reduced due to unrelieved heat

5. LEDs can de-solder itself with heat

6. High heat at the LED = current inefficient flow = lots of heat = brightness loss. Current must flow smoothly to keep heat and thus resistance down.

Those are some reasons that came to mind.

DriverVN2 is user programmable making a AAA size light incredibly comprehensive but flexible. LED mounted on copper gets heat away from LED right away, no bottle necks. The more heat you feel is the less heat the LED have to suffer. Extra copper HS adds heat capacity. DriverVN2 has a great track record. Sold many hundreds with very little issues. And when there are issues its usually just my fault not the circuit.

DriverVN2 & DriverVNX2 are continuously being upgraded with improve parts. Although never officially announced.

Last edited:

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Grrrrr!! My clip broke the day I received my ToolVN and I took the clip from my wife's Maratac and used it until yesterday. I reached down to feel for my ToolVN and it wasn't there :eek: I quickly checked inside my pocket and thankfully the light was there, but no sign of the clip.

The good news out of all this, is that I checked countycomm and they are finally offering the clips for sale. I bought 6. I really would love to see a better clip solution for these lights.

Anybody have any good ideas??

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
575f31fd20225271ce777dddd7fd419e.jpg

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!! I'm still waiting for mine to make it to me! Mine left before yours and will arrive after yours. But, that's the story of my life living in this third world country!
Great little light! I like the copper weight. Size, though long, works well due to small diameter. Missing moonlight which kills me. 219c is very nice tint and output.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Grrrrr!! My clip broke the day I received my ToolVN and I took the clip from my wife's Maratac and used it until yesterday. I reached down to feel for my ToolVN and it wasn't there :eek: I quickly checked inside my pocket and thankfully the light was there, but no sign of the clip.

The good news out of all this, is that I checked countycomm and they are finally offering the clips for sale. I bought 6. I really would love to see a better clip solution for these lights.

Anybody have any good ideas??

I use the streamlight clip for my fenix ld02 and this Toolvn. It's the best clip I know of for these lights. Deep carry option and I can clip it on my hat since it has a two way clip.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Here is it on my Fiat Lux Toolvn. [emoji6]

2d079d9ef02ded9b509ca0d3f26e072c.jpg

3586becaa5745b4cbaa2dc41f8d5723a.jpg

You can see from the light that it gets used a lot. It my EDC and this clip has never failed me. It absolutely will not slip off and it's dual function is great.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Do a google search for Streamlight pocket/hat clip. There are many places to buy it.

Joe

TLI

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first light from Vinh. It is going to be my new edc. Blows my other light out of the water. I think I was lucky enough to get a Fiat Lux on my first light form him. This light is awesome.

Minimoog

Enlightened
What is the recommended LED for this light? 219C?

I think I will be going for one myself and having trouble choosing which LED...

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do enjoy the 219c. I recommend it as a good choice.

TLI

Newly Enlightened
I was mistaken the light I got was not a Fiat Lux but I am really enjoying the light anyway. I got the 6000k color and I really like it. I took it to the fire station to show it to the boys and everyone was completely in blown away by the amount of light it put out. Thanks again to Vinh for a great product.