Toughest EDC Folder?

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two toughest knives are my XM-18 & Shane Sibert Mini Pocket Rocket.
XM-18yellowside2copy.jpg

XM-18yellowopencopy.jpg

XM-18yellowBackspacercopy.jpg

SibertopenMPR1.jpg

SibertMPRopenclipside1.jpg

SibertMPRclipside.jpg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My two toughest knives are my XM-18 & Shane Sibert Mini Pocket Rocket.
XM-18yellowopencopy.jpg

SibertopenMPR1.jpg
Those are the pics that talked me into getting an XM-18 and BM 755. Can't believe anyone would follow these two knives up with a Spyderco Native in a thread about the toughest folder.

These two knives make a Sebenza feel like a lightweight and fragile piece of kitchen cutlery.

Bladedude

Newly Enlightened
Under $100 a cold steel ak-47 is a good way to go, tough as hell, decent Aus-8 steel, and solid lockup. Used mine as a prybar a few times in a pinch, its reliable.

However raw toughness i don't think theres anything better than a custom Sibert MPR or Benchmades 755 MPR modeled after the Sibert original. I have the first production Benchmade run 559 of 1000. Its pricey but this is the only knife I would call a tank and possibly indestructible!:devil:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might have to go just a tad over $100 to get a benchmade mini skirmish, but that would be my choice. It's a fantastic knife for the $$$ and it is built tough. :twothumbs

+1, for mini skirmish, BM635.

Regular skirmish is kind of too big for my taste.

In btw mini skirmish & sebenza in terms of the price, is Bradley Alias.

I once owned all three of them at the same time, and honestly, I do not see a big difference in quality among them. All three built really firm with Titanium handle w/frame lock and S30V blade. :)

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is a good point as any folder will potentially fail in some way

I use knives all the time and also make them,
I've had pocket lint clog a few lockbacks without being aware until I start cutting or have to stop and un-clog when time is of the essence.

Liner locks are generally less trouble and I usually prefer them.
spyderco seem to have the one handed opening lockback perfected if thats what an individual prefers.
I really like the security factor of dual lock mechanisms, this is a valuable feature if you're using a folder in wet/muddy and difficult ergonomic situations,something I find often.
For years I always used the kershaw lockback with the full rubber handle for skinning and gutting fish and game etc...its the only knife I could hold onto reliably.

Above all these choices,a fixed blade would out perform most tasks easily,(IMHO) over a folder... thats is why I make small fixed blades occasionally
as this is such a good compromise... you get an indestructable,dependable un-complicated format with the bonus of pocket carry or neck carry.

a good neck carry fixed blade is a good cheap option... cold steel make an excellent one.
This what I make....

RIMG0001.jpg

IMGP4436.jpg

this format gives good all round ability but is sadly under-rated.
I'm a big fan of folders but when it comes to toughness and tough jobs in most cases its a fixed blade that will win.

+1,

and your little fixed is beautiful ! :thumbsup:

benthiccracker

Enlightened
I gotta say the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I suggest a Non-Coated Non-Cerated blade and I am sure you know they make several blade styles for this folder. I have had one for longer than any of my other BM and put it through a lot. I have sent it back to BM for LifeSharp service (only $5 for return postage) and they sharpened it, fixed some spring inside that I didn't even know was tweaked (it locked, opened, & closed fine) and sent me a brand new clip back with the knife in about a 2 week period after I mailed it. This is one of their least expensive knives. Shows something about customer care!

nbp

Flashaholic
It's back and just in time! This has been a fun thread.

I never got off the Ti framelock kick, though my focus shifted from the Sebbie as the grail to the XM-18. Then I realized those make Sebenzas seem like a good deal. :ohgeez: I basically EDCd my Spydies and SOGs the past couple years, and didn't buy more folders, though I got a couple Landi fixies which are really nice and a steal as well. But still I wanted a reasonably priced, tough Ti framelock. Well, tonight I bought a ZT0551 on the MP, and should have it in a couple days. I'm hoping this ends up being the gnarly tough EDC I have been longing for since this thread began years ago. (I have since finished school and was able to expand my budget a little. ;) ) Looking forward to getting this knife!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
tonight I bought a ZT0551 on the MP, and should have it in a couple days. I'm hoping this ends up being the gnarly tough EDC I have been longing for since this thread began years ago. (I have since finished school and was able to expand my budget a little. ;) ) Looking forward to getting this knife!

You'll like the 0551. I've carried my 0550 for a few months & still enjoy it. Problem is that I just picked up a 0560 flipper & it is now my EDC of choice :nana:

The nicest thing about the 0550/0551 is that they are ready to use right out of the box. The 0560/0561 needs a bit of attention to make it feel comfortable. The complaint most often mentioned is the too sharp jimping that abrades the index finger each time the blade is flipped. Those edges were melted & blended:

Image-9853934-156686949-2-Web_0_27f5dcacda764a091402590690eaaf1c_1

Image-9853934-156694437-2-Web_0_89536656e4e57bc10f880420dad412eb_1

The flipper had serrations that seemed of no use so those were the next thing to go:

Image-9853934-156686951-2-Web_0_0664a17ab16290bce49dc63cd3397482_1

The last mod was to correct the most irritating feature, the thumb studs that I've never used. Look closely at the image above & you can just see how they've been shortened. Here's a better view:

Image-9853934-156686952-2-Web_0_3141d4149877a0801b32390dca0ffcc2_1

These would catch every time the knife went into a pocket & would catch again each time the knife came out. Now they still have 100% function as blade stops but the knife no longer hangs up on clothing.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
CRKT M-16 series, these might qualify as budget knives to some and too expensive to others, but the autolawks safety backing up the liner lock makes it a quick and convenient folder that I trust to not ever close on my fingers. -Seems awkward at first but after practicing a hundred times or so opening and closing one handed, say a half hour of playing around, converting it from a fixed blade back to a folder is slick and smooth, no big deal.

Also there are two beefy steel pins on either side of the base of the blade that sit down into notches in the handle, effectively crossbracing the blade when open, really solid design. Mine is a half serrated tanto blade, it took me a while to warm up to this "ugly" blade profile, but it's incredibly useful. I actually do use it for cutting sheet metal when nothing better is at hand, as well as using it for box cutter functions, and for precise paper cutting... lunch functions, splinter removal, skew chisel functions, solitary bathroom mirror Dirty Harry monologues -lol! It's never ever needed as a weapon... I'd rather have a shovel or a sturdy chair. ;-) The steel is tough, holds an edge well and sharpens easily. I've gradually converted it to a convex grind on one side, keeping the basically flat grind on the flat side, with convex micro bevel, going on 5-6 years of not so gentle use, Highly Recommended.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1,

and your little fixed is beautiful ! :thumbsup:

octaf, nice pics!
I love a three finger grip sheath knife, I made one up from some nice Swedish steel and thought I'd come up with something new (nothing new under the sun) they are perfect for low key carry in back pocket.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

Makes me even happier about selecting my Spyderco Delica4 FFG FRN (orange)

:thumbsup:

Wanted something thin enough to EDC-carry in my back Jeans pocket.

All day long -- every single day.

This little beauty was a Fine Choice !

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah Delicas are super knives. I've got one too that has seen a lot of carry.

Barry, do you own anything you haven't modded in some way? ;)

So far, two weeks in and I am very happy with the 0551. A really nice knife with heavy duty build, very solid lockup, good hand feel. It carries smaller than it is, which I didn't expect. That 0560 didn't quite appeal to me, but the 0551 really seems to fit me well. The only thing is the G10 scale is kinda ugly. There was a member here called The Sun that made wicked scales, anything you can imagine. I'm considering asking him to make me a new scale. Not sure what I want though - different G10, carbon fiber, a Ti slab? I think a carbon/Ti combo would be really nice.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Barry, do you own anything you haven't modded in some way? ;)
LOL, hardly anything mechanical escapes without modding :)

The 0550 is close to unchanged with only a Hawk Grip Clip added. IIRC that clip also fits the 0551.

Image-9853934-153912879-2-Web_0_8b832d3e72416975d1873fe1b873098f_1

The orange lines show possible trit slot locations but these are not yet machined. The 0550 fits into the chest pocket of my work clothing better than the 0560 so it goes with me every day to work.

I am very happy with the 0551. A really nice knife with heavy duty build, very solid lockup, good hand feel. It carries smaller than it is ...
+1

The most surprising feature of these models is how they disappear into a pocket and go unnoticed until they are needed. Not many knives can go along for half a day on the Harley without being a pain (literally). These are big knives with a small footprint.

Last edited: