Toughest EDC Folder?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I thought it was pretty clear I was exaggerating on the weight to make a point. Still, I think that's a bit more knife than is really fitting for EDC. That's all I really have to say on that.
That's one of the difficult things about picking a best, since we all have such differing life styles and needs.
For me it's an excellent EDC, both for size and comfort of carry, but the Sebenza is obviously a better choice for many as well and one reason why I really like to encourage people to try as many different lights/knives or whatever so that they can pick their favorite and not mine.

raiderkilo

Newly Enlightened
Crusader Forge Metro or Medford Praetorian

Sent from my* Sony Xperia™ smartphone

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bite. Best hard use folders IMO... Kershaw Shallot for budget option, Hogue EX-01 for more expensive option. The Kershaw runs @ $60 if you shop, the Hogue @ $150. I have used both extremely hard for a long time, and neither had an issue. My Hogue is the 4" Gimascus, and has shiny spots in the handle from the use it has had, the tip has been broken twice doing really stupid things, base of the handle is slightly flat from driving it into wood with a steel hammer... and it still locks up like the day it was made.

That being said, there are times when I carry something slimmer and lighter, as tougher isn't always better. The Shallot was a bit better compromise in that way.

This must be one of those diff'rent strokes things.

I picked up a used Shallot for cheap because of the blade length - wanted something 2.5" or less so I could have something to carry on days when I thought i might have to go in/out of Federal buildings so I wouldn't have to always be leaving it in the car etc. I actually feel more comfortable carrying a full sized Grip because the Shallot is so small it doesn't fit my hand nicely and the size actually makes it hard to open/close while keeping my fingers out of the way.

knives are really one of those things you have to try to find out what works for YOU.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
David Boye folder. He literally wrote the book on making custom knives. Spyderco calls the indent on their lockbacks after him to acknowledge his innovation. Mr. Boye now makes a folder (and a fixed blade) with a cast, not forged, cobalt based metal. Corrosion proof, non-magnetic and the casting allows the molecular structure to act as mini serrations. Holds an edge better than any other metal and it will not rust. To top it off, a reasonable price.

gabe.trout

Newly Enlightened
I like Zero Tolerance alot, they're built like tanks look great.
I have the 770
ZT770.jpg

Per-Sev

Enlightened
My thoughts are the ZT0600 is one of the best built knives around factory or custom. I currently carry one as my EDC and have so for several months now. I lock up is rock solid it has a hardened steel insert for over travel and lock wear. The blade is 3/16" thick, you would be hard pressed to find a better knife for the money. Combine it with the new Lenslight KO Titanuim light and, you should never need another knife or light.
7a592196135f6a0654c14af672bcd124_zps9069d242.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
3/16th is good, but how does it work with cardboard? I tried out my 0551, and the thick spine made cutting cardbard very difficult.

Bill

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 0560 is the same, I believe. Cardboard takes a bit of effort, but onions are impossible.

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't consider my 0551 to be a 'slicer'. Now if I need to baton kindling with a folder, I'm happy to have the beefy blade!

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Thanks to the poster in the how many lumens thread for mentioning ZT. I just got a ZT0300ST and love it. It's pretty wide but aside from that, works great as an EDC for my preferences. Nice blade, partially serrated, assisted opening, solid lockup with zero play. Great knife! It's replaced my Kershaw Rake as my EDC.

Max

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
So, nobody has mentioned a really inexpensive alternative, tough, well made and a real beater of a knife.
ENLAN_EL-01_TYPES_zps992568c6.jpg

All of those for less than $100.
My favourite at the moment -
72eaba23-fb3d-4729-9bd1-aa7fbaa33e93_zps71154c46.jpg

Not tough enough?

At least get one for a back-up blade. :)

desmobob

Enlightened
Spyderco Manix, Chinook and Military
Kershaw Tyrade
Zero Tolerance 0200 and 0300 series
Benchmade Rukus and Osborne series

+1 on these choices. I don't think any of them are less than a hundred bucks, though. I think my ZT 0301 is probably the toughest folder I have. Or maybe it's the Spyderco Manix. But folders aren't really tough.... ;-) As some folks are known to say, "Why do you want a knife that's already broken?" That cracks me up! (But I do have over a dozen Busse fixed blades!)

Take it easy,
Bob

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything it can't hold up to, you should be using a fixed blade.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
i have somewhere a benchmade 975 emerson which i carried for like 20 years. dammit but i cant find it now. anyway it is tough and holds an edge and has not gotten loose. it opens very quickly with the thumb stud and carries effortless with the clip. when i bought it i paid like 80 or 90 bucks i think. dont know if theyre still made i need to look into either finding that one or buying another one.

michiganmade

Newly Enlightened
My Microtech amphibian is a beast. Had it for yours. You can't get one anymore, but all their knives are great.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
for less than $100, my recommendation would be for a benchmade griptilian or the mini grip. They are light, carries well and 154CM is more than capable performer.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Some great knives mentioned by others above...

For my EDC I was very very nearly pulling the trigger on a Cold Steel Mini Recon 1 Tanto... but in the end I changed tac completely and got myself the CRKT Pazoda with the combination edge.
Very very reasonably priced, has an extremely deep carry pocket clip (a must for me in the office) and is made from 8Cr14MoV, which is pretty darn hard (58-59) for the price (open to correction, but when I was looking, it's hard to find anything with a better steel [or even similar] anywhere near this price-range).
Can see the knife here with both blade options...
http://www.crkt.com/Pazoda

I've had it about a year now, and use it daily for every sort of little task, and use it for scouting also (cutting ropes, stripping kindling, cutting food etc.), the combination edge is perfect.
The locking mechanism seems very very sturdy and I still see no play in the mechanism at all.
It is a relatively short knife (again something I was looking for) at 2.625" blade length, but again, for what I was looking for, it is now my perfect EDC on a budget.

brtactical

Newly Enlightened
I believe the toughest folders are CS triad lock and Emerson Knives. The CS has a great price and now they are using the XHP steel. I think it is the best deal for us$ 100 for a hard use knife, and a great edc Knife as well. The Code 4 model can be tough, lightweight and pretty at the same time. A good call.