Toughest EDC Folder?

nbp

Flashaholic
It's funny that when I started this thread 6 years ago, per the OP, I was looking to avoid buying a Sebenza due to the price, but in my heart that is really what I wanted. A variety of knives came and went in the meantime, trying to fill the void. Some were pretty good, especially my Spydies, and they are still with me.

But now, years later, I sit here with small Sebenza in my pocket and large in the mail on its way to me. I guess we don't really forget what we really want, do we? It was a journey, but I have arrived. :)

Seb3_zpsbdtrhsxz.jpg

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbp, you need to change your signature line - McGizmo, Sebenza: Get it, Use it, Love it.

It is a great mantra and I use it many situations. Good gear is important. I even used it once when shopping with my wife for a new handbag.

nbp

Flashaholic
nbp, you need to change your signature line - McGizmo, Sebenza: Get it, Use it, Love it.

It is a great mantra and I use it many situations. Good gear is important. I even used it once when shopping with my wife for a new handbag.

I love it, it shall be done! :) Indeed, there's no shame in spending the money on good gear if it is used and loved. The whole reason it is expensive is because it is a well designed tool that performs excellently!

What I would stuff in my pockets if my house was on fire: haha

IMG_8394_zpsk65rjhaw.jpg

Turns out sebenzas are pretty weak in terms of strength. check out cold steels testing video below, it failed faster than pretty much any knife they tested so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c&sns=em

I will definitely keep that in mind the next time I consider spine whipping a steel plate with my knife! ;)

scout24

Flashaholic
I've got a few Cold Steel fixed blades, an LTC Kukri and an SRK, both made from CarbonV steel. Never have liked the ergos of their folders, I have a friend who swears by them. Tried with the Voyagers, just didn't click for me. They seem to be able to engineer solutions to problems nobody else knew existed... :) Delica flat ground plain edge, Paramilitary II flat/plain, and an XM-18 Spanto are my three pocket rotation knives. Depends in the day... The Spydies are great slicers and solid in hand, I wouldn't pry with either of them. The Hinderer is a shaving sharp bank vault solid prybar, but does not like fine delicate tasks. Different tools for different jobs... :)

Shooter21

Enlightened
Yea it's good to have a super strong lock on your EDC if you had to baton with it in an emergency survival situation. This is the reason why the spine wack test is a valid one.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked at some of those test videos and thought they were interesting. I have a Para2 and the compression lock never seemed 'heavy duty' to me despite all the on line boasts of it being the best lock around. Regardless I don't think I'd trust any folding knife to hold up to anything remotely close to the stresses put on the knives by those tests.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yea it's good to have a super strong lock on your EDC if you had to baton with it in an emergency survival situation. This is the reason why the spine wack test is a valid one.

But even when you're batoning, the edge of the blade is against the piece of wood when you smack the spine so it is unlikely to close up aside from an extremely unlucky bounce. You're simply pounding the blade into the wood, so the wood is actually taking the force, and relatively little force would be exerted on the lockbar itself. In that test they are putting the stress directly on the lockbar to support the weight or the whipping action. It is not the same as batoning really. Frankly, I have never been in any situation where I had to use a knife in such a way that that test accurately represented the forces actuated on the locking mechanism.

This is freakin awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy! My gems!!

Gunther Grey

Newly Enlightened
Per the whack the back test. A good point was brought forward in a rebuttal supporting the Sebenza. The handle was not being tightly gripped as it would have if actually gripped and gripped hard (tensioning the lock bar). Perhaps the result would have been acceptable.

I would like to see the test run on a Lionsteel SR-1 with the roto-lock tightened.

eden123

Newly Enlightened
Chaves / Stout Megalodon 325 is my EDC... super smooth bearings and opens easily onehanded...

Shooter21

Enlightened
Per the whack the back test. A good point was brought forward in a rebuttal supporting the Sebenza. The handle was not being tightly gripped as it would have if actually gripped and gripped hard (tensioning the lock bar). Perhaps the result would have been acceptable.

I would like to see the test run on a Lionsteel SR-1 with the roto-lock tightened.

They also tested a zero tolerance frame lock and it passed that test.

lumosmaxima

Newly Enlightened
I have used my sebenza for splitting wood before with the batoning technique. It held up just fine and it still locks up just as well as it did before. I love my sebenzas

LedTed

Enlightened
Toughest EDC folder? Any large universal compression tester should be able to fold any EDC folding knife. :grin2:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have an SnG again, THAT would be MY toughest knife.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bench 275. Largest Axis lock system in their entire catalog. There is this video on YT on some crazy Russian guy doing everything he could to destroy it including pounding on it with a hammer. The lock still did not fail

Sadden

Enlightened
Toughest thing i can think of is the cold steel rajah 2. Big, thick, extrememly tight lockup, stonewash finish, bd1 steel... And TriAd lock...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
My toughest folder is the XM-24 Gen 4 Spanto w/ beadblasted Ti scale.

Last edited: