Travel and camping lights of choice

ronniepudding

Enlightened
When I go camping, it's an excuse to use my lights... so I don't usually pack minimally :)

For camping, I want to cover headlamp, flashlight, and lantern use cases... when I try to save space or weight I'll choose one battery type, and pick lights accordingly, along these lines:

AA = Zebralight H52W, plus Eagletac D25A or a Xeno E03 with diffuser cone.

CR123 = Foursevens Atom AL/ALF headlamp, plus a Mini ML, and/or Olight S10 with diffuser cone.

AAA (one nighters) = Fenix HL10 headlamp, plus Lumintop Tool or Worm or Maratac AAA Nichia with diffuser.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Last week I came back from a camping trip in PA. I took my Zebralight H600F MKIII and Malkoff HD Super. I think I was the only guy out of a few hundred campers to have the most brightest setup there. I couldn't even play round with my lights on high for too long as to not to disturb others. Zebra floody was the most overall used and useful light. I think any primary camping backpacking light should be a floody. I definitely wanted to have a lantern to light up the cooking area all night, so I might consider investing in a Coleman liquid fuel lantern with mantels.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm slowly putting together a big box of Birthday gifts for a young Dutch artist whose work I enjoy. In the last box, I included some survival items. She mentioned she loves it when I get her such gear as she simply does not have much at all in that regard. So this time, I'm focusing more on such gear.

Among the items is a small but powerful mini headlamp that runs off of a couple of AAA batteries. Being a woman who enjoys hiking, but not multi-day hikes, she's more likely to carry stuff that is small and very light-weight. So that's what I'm going for. Last time, one of the items I got her was a purple Fenix E01. She loves it! Besides a giant novelty (but fully functional) coffee mug that she uses for tea, that Fenix is among the gifts she uses daily.

The Netherlands, according to her, has no wild predatory animals. Except in zoos. So the following won't be needed. But in other parts of the world, I'd say toting around a big heavy lumens monster geared towards throw, would be a very good idea while camping. At the very least, everyone at the campsite should have their own headlamp.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I try and get away at least once a year to somewhere really remote (usually Africa, Oman or maybe somewhere in the Pacific), always fishing, frequently camping. We're normally trying to cram a ridiculous amount of fishing gear into a tiny luggage allowance so I have to be smart about flashlight/battery choices.

I've now settled on an AA setup, Zebralight H52fw and an SC52W (iirc), Nitecore LA10 as an area light and, if we're really remote, a Nitecore EA45S. I can get most of that in my jacket/hand luggage without raising too many eyebrows at security. I carry a few spare Eneloop/Fujitsu pros but the EA45S is basically the spare carrier.

That lot covers me for a few weeks in a really remote spot (Assuming there's either some area lighting from the ground operator or we're so shattered after a day on the water that late night partying isn't on the agenda..).

HTH

Dave

mbw_151

Enlightened
If I'm backpacking I take two Surefire Titan-As and a light heads trap to allow one to be used as a headlamp. Maybe throw in a couple extra AAAs at most. If we're just packing in and day hiking from there I'll take slightly heavier gear, a Surefire Minimus MV and HDS EDC and a couple spare 123s. When we camp next to the car, I'll take all kinds of toys but the light I use the most is still Titan-A. So light, so compact and so capable.

WDR65

Enlightened
What I take when traveling is subject to how I'm traveling. If in my truck then there all sorts of lights. In my wife's car on a trip last weekend I took a Surefire EDCL-2T and an yellow green Aviator along with some spare batteries. There is a already a G2x Pro and a G3 FYL in the car. On my person I had an Olight S1 mini and an I3T. I didn't this time but I usually wear a Surefire Titan A or B on a neck lanyard.

I've also got a small kit packed in my duffel bag that includes a Surefire E2L-A and an Olight H1 with spare batteries. I also usually throw in another kit bag with a Surefire EB2, Fenix CL-09 and Olight S1. ( On a recent road trip to Colorado I had the second kit plus an Aviator and EDCL-2T with me, no trouble with the TSA on the flight back.)

I haven't been camping in a while, two trips last year were cut short for family emergencies. Most of the time I'm either truck or kayak camping so weight is not a huge issue. I usually carry a Princeton Tec Apex of some model and some type of larger thrower, either a Maglite ML300 or Streamlight HL-3, sometimes a Olight M2X. Lantern wise I bring a pair of Streamlight Seige's, one AA and D cell. That's usually in addition to a couple of the above mentioned Surefire's.

I tend to overdo it but its a hobby and I like to cover my bases. In all honesty I could get by with the Aviator and the Olight H1 for 99% for of what I do camping.

Last edited:

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
For backpacking I carry three lights.. my old school Princeton Tec EOS 80L headlamp.. it just wont die and does everything I need. I actually had a black diamond spot that got wet and failed and I went back to the EOS. I carry a surefire.. usually my EB2 500L... because it is bulletproof, trustworthy, and simple, and can put a beam out there, and I carry an olight I3s EOS.

I will do a headlamp upgrade soon, i want lighter with longer run-time... and same or better brightness with a good all around beam shape. Some day i will swap out my surefire for an 18650 light of some flavor, but have not settled yet... olight, eagletac, thrunite maybe.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I've really liked my Armytek Wizard for general travelling. Mainly because of the super low 0.15 lumen and 1.5 lumen modes. They are perfect for night adjusted eyes. You don't have to worry about blinding yourself, or anyone else in the room that may still be sleeping. The broad floody beam is also useful indoors and out.
If needed it can also light up an entire room so it's got a lot of range.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've really liked my Armytek Wizard for general travelling. Mainly because of the super low 0.15 lumen and 1.5 lumen modes. They are perfect for night adjusted eyes. You don't have to worry about blinding yourself, or anyone else in the room that may still be sleeping. The broad floody beam is also useful indoors and out.
If needed it can also light up an entire room so it's got a lot of range.

One of the endearing qualities of my TH20. Long press of the switch is direct to moonlight at an advertised of something like 0.1lm (although I think it's closer to a full 1lm). Double click for high/turbo depending on battery used.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
Even keeping it light, a D4 and a Fenix tko9 are minimal for me, maybe my tk32 with rgb and more throw instead of tk09.

But who am I kidding, I never would go out without my T21vn. Single 18650 if need be.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get out nearly as much as I should, but I like to mess with the heavier end of ultralight, with extra weight allowed for important tools, a bit more insulation than absolutely necessary, some non dehydrated food, recreational beverages, etc.
But I keep things light and pack out trash to replace my lost food and beverage weight.
My light, lighter, pocketknife, notebook, phone, are carried every day, there's no light weight substitution there, I just bring them along same as always, basically EDC plus a shelter package, sensible clothing, food and cook bag, water bags and filter, a few tools, compass and duct tape, mini pliers, needle and thread, etc.
Ti3 on a necklace so I can find my H600w, or or shortened toothbrush or whatever in the dark while half asleep.
I bring an extra 18650 battery and a AAA Energizer Lithium in case of accidental adventure, but I've never used up the first battery in either light on a 3 night trip, more like down to 60-80%

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a bare minimum, I would take a Peak Eiger #4 high CRI with a pocket clip so it can be used as a headlamp on the bill of a cap.

More likely, I would take a Zebralight H52FW paired with a Quark AA tactical XP-E neutral. Below are the reasons why:

• two is one and one is none
  • shared cells with all chemistry options available (NiMh, Lithimum primary, 14500, alkaline)
  • headlamp for close-up work, hand-held for throw
  • versatile UIs that aren't obtrusive
  • tactical operation (Quark)
  • neutral tint
  • compact carry

It might be an even better idea to take a H52W (non-flood) with DC-fix so that it can be used as a more functional backup to the Quark. Supplementing the above combo with a 18650 light for runtime wouldn't be a bad idea, but not necessary.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
For traveling, I usually bring FourSevens Mini 2AA XP-G2. It's compact, takes AA, twisty (no room for tailcap failure), 3 modes + hidden.

Sometimes I will bring my Quark 2AA w/ 18650 body along only during rainy season when power outages are frequent.

Don't revoke my flashaholic card but sometimes bringing too many lights kill the fun. 80-90% of today lights are pretty much have the same in features.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have many lights, so I would bring my Thrunite Archer, TH20 and since I always EDC the TiS it would be there too. If I was going to be in a place that required a lot of light (I know a relative term here but for me it is more than I usually ever use) the TN4A would come out.

For my uses all I had to do is look at any convenience store to determine what kinds of batteries would fuel my lights. Hence all my lights are 1AA, 1AAA...(maglite not included) I don't have to worry about ever not having a battery when I need it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
So topic of the day for me is what light or lights to bring for general purpose travel and camping for a minimal pack. I'm not real specific on the trip itself I just know that I normally over pack on all type of gear... being CPF I also over pack lights. If I'm trying to trim all the fat, so to speak, what light or light combinations would you pick?

Myself, I always have my 1xAAA light on my keychain, currently a lumentop worm as. In addition to that I think my thrunite th20 headlamp would offer a good combination of utility and output vs runtime. Although its hard to leave something with the nice beam of my nichia 219 modded fenix L2T or 6p... or m31w C3....

What would be your minimum packing travel light?

Not really a camper, but I was driving through Texas and Oklahoma for 11 days in the back half of July and had my Emisar D4 and EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky with me, along with an Xtar XP1 and MC1+ charger.

They were fine and didn't take up too much luggage space.

For out in the wilderness, for more than a few days, I'd have to think about it.

Chris

markr6

Flashaholic
Zebralight H600w (with frosted tape) gets a lot of use. Sometimes I'll add my SC600w IV HI for a little extra throw. Both put out anything from .01 lumens to well over 1000. I can see a lot, I can see far, and I can run them for days or weeks on low to conserve power if necessary.

Plus, I can share power. If I know I'll have juice left over, I can pull the cell from one or both lights and put them in my Xtar PB2 to charge my iPhone. By the way, that is a nice, small, lightweight travel charger since it uses USB and up to 2A charge rate.

If I were one of those crazy people playing zombie attack, I would add a small AA light. But I'm not worried about it.

AlphaCanis

Newly Enlightened
My packs have had fenix tk lights in them for the past few years. All cr123 lights.

Ill also bring along whatever is on my person, usually a smaller cr123 Olight. The packs all have extra batteries in them.

Can probably be updated but I've never felt like I didn't have enough light.

Lanterns can be really nice too if you're doing a big pack out.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going camping this weekend for two nights and contemplating an all E01 outing. One stock, one sanded with yellow diffuser for low in tent lighting, and maybe one backup in the pack.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
These plans changed and I took a handful of lights to test/ see what I like better for camping. Hands down the SC53w was the all around favorite and most useful. Super low .01 was left on all night in the mesh pocket of my tent so I could find it easy for late night trip to the nearest tree. Once I grabbed it a double click got me to another low output that allowed my night adapted eyes to see easily while not disturbing others in the tent. Neutral output made for pleasant and natural colors also. Can't see a lick of tint shift when out and about in the woods. Used mainly sub lumens and prob 10 or so tops. Stuffed it in a stretchy bandana type thing as well for a makeshift headlamp. The stock E01 was really bright and harsh with night adapted eyes so didn't get much use. The Maglite was fun to play with and blast through the woods for a few minutes but not tor any extended use. My son ran around with a stylus pro but it was overall too bright for that setting. Biggest take away for me was the neutral tint and low output was key for around camp and even when out walking. The brighter lights and settings in a weird way made it harder to see overall because it takes away your night vision and lights up the area you're pointing it at so much, that everything else is even harder to see ruining the overall experience. This trip made me more of a low output and sub lumen can thsn I already was. Actually the best part was when there was NO flashlights or lanterns turned on and the stars and campfire did the work. 👍🏼 Edit: also made me see how useful a dedicated headlamp would be.
Going camping this weekend for two nights and contemplating an all E01 outing. One stock, one sanded with yellow diffuser for low in tent lighting, and maybe one backup in the pack.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
These plans changed and I took a handful of lights to test/ see what I like better for camping. Hands down the SC53w was the all around favorite and most useful. Super low .01 was left on all night in the mesh pocket of my tent so I could find it easy for late night trip to the nearest tree. Once I grabbed it a double click got me to another low output that allowed my night adapted eyes to see easily while not disturbing others in the tent. Neutral output made for pleasant and natural colors also. Can't see a lick of tint shift when out and about in the woods. Used mainly sub lumens and prob 10 or so tops. Stuffed it in a stretchy bandana type thing as well for a makeshift headlamp. The stock E01 was really bright and harsh with night adapted eyes so didn't get much use. The Maglite was fun to play with and blast through the woods for a few minutes but not tor any extended use. My son ran around with a stylus pro but it was overall too bright for that setting. Biggest take away for me was the neutral tint and low output was key for around camp and even when out walking. The brighter lights and settings in a weird way made it harder to see overall because it takes away your night vision and lights up the area you're pointing it at so much, that everything else is even harder to see ruining the overall experience. This trip made me more of a low output and sub lumen can thsn I already was. Actually the best part was when there was NO flashlights or lanterns turned on and the stars and campfire did the work.  Edit: also made me see how useful a dedicated headlamp would be.

My experience has always been that cool white really washes out details in a rural/wooded environment. Neutral/warm led lights work much better and don't need to be nearly as bright to be effective. Pak-lite now has a neutral warm model that I would take camping but sadly I haven't been for a while now.Not sure what else I would take probably a couple Malkoff powered neutrals and maybe the Hound Dog Neutral for fun/emergency as well as a few other small lights.Among the small lights would be the Streamlight Sidewinders that I added LEE filters to so I can see how they work out. Reading your post makes those warm Yuji modded EO1's from Vinh at Sky Lumen seem a bit more enticing.

Last edited: