TSA On The Lookout For "Tactical" Flashlights

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily none of my light have strike bezels, though on a hunch I looked up maximum carry on luggage weight and my 1000 Ultra Mod surpass it:laughing:!

On a second note: A little fun fact that the BMI air lines allow any carry on weight that quoted: 'You must be able to lift it yourself' so I guess strongest man competition guys can bring on 300 pound solid bricks of steel if they want:rolleyes::whistle:.

jchoo

Enlightened
This must be recent... I just flew from Virginia to California in October (and back in November) with both my E2DL and Olight M20 Warrior as carry-on. the E2DL was clipped to my pocket, and I removed it to the bin with my shoes and keys. The Olight remained in my bag when I sent that through the x-ray. Both of them were picked up and fondled by the TSA agent (he even blinded himself and another agent with the Surefire), but other than that they drew no ill attention.

Illum

Flashaholic
Until we have more reports in other airports, I think its a safe assumption to say that the incident is a regional case and not consistent all through the continental US.

Regarding to possible vandalism, I think it would be best for users here who carry their surefire or surefires to write down the serial numbers [body and heads] somewhere. In the event that they were confiscated it may be posted here on a dedicated thread so that if they turned up on ebay like the last incident of a TSA guy stealing lights we would have concrete evidence both for prosecution and tracking TSA rule consistency.

Personally I keep a up-to-date list of all my surefires, which heads goes to which, and the expiration date on the batteries...just thought it would be a good idea.

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened
Hello. First post.

I think this most likely has something to do with the new TSA rules about lithium (li-ion?) batteries.

Maybe they started to single out certain items like flashlights because I think I read that there was a small fire on a plane where a checked flashlight overheated inside a toolbox. Also happened with a toy doll.

Praxis

Enlightened
Yes, I'd like to hear if anyone else gets extra attention from the TSA for tactical-style lights. Like I said in the OP, I was skeptical about TSA looking for tactical lights until my SO ran into problems. I'd like to know if this is a problem that is isolated to Washington-Dulles, or is more widespread.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out soon they'll start taking lights apart and prying domes off crees looking for WMD's :poke:

Illum

Flashaholic
Watch out soon they'll start taking lights apart and prying domes off crees looking for WMD's :poke:

well..phosphor could be reactive in air
batteries gives off vapor
solder contacts contains lead
flashlight bodies are slightly radioactive

suddenly flashlight toting American citizens will get associated with towelheads and we'll have to surrender everything but our socks, which will be collected for as we get on the plane for sanitary purposes:shrug:

I hope that day does not come...:ohgeez:

jchoo

Enlightened
well..phosphor could be reactive in air
batteries gives off vapor
solder contacts contains lead
flashlight bodies are slightly radioactive

suddenly flashlight toting American citizens will get associated with towelheads and we'll have to surrender everything but our socks, which will be collected for as we get on the plane for sanitary purposes:shrug:

I hope that day does not come...:ohgeez:

With the work that I do, I am more radioactive than any flashlight body...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Worth noting!

Regarding to possible vandalism, I think it would be best for users here who carry their surefire or surefires to write down the serial numbers [body and heads] somewhere. In the event that they were confiscated it may be posted here on a dedicated thread so that if they turned up on ebay like the last incident of a TSA guy stealing lights we would have concrete evidence both for prosecution and tracking TSA rule consistency.

A truly excellent idea! :twothumbs

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Interesting.

For the first time ever a security guy in Australia picked up and looked at the front end of my A2 when getting on a flight to the USA two weeks ago. The TSA in San Francisco though didn't even notice it.

Also it's about time those morons enforced some existing rules on lithium batteries. From what I've seen, TSA employees either are clueless about hazardous materials or existing regulations or ignore them while they're trying to figure out if your shoes are going to explode. The problem with lithium batteries is if there is a lithium battery fire, existing fire suppression systems on board aircraft will not put it out. Airplane + fire = bad, check images here for a sample and read a little near the end of the article http://upsfire.com/philfire.htm As far as I can remember though they don't know exactly what caused that one because the cargo list was burned with the aircraft.

Last edited:

unique

Enlightened
Well, this had got me worried now :(
After starting that "carrying lights in checked luggage" thread and people saying its a-okay, now saying its not. Bummer!!

How will a TK10 go through security with the tactical ring?

Praxis

Enlightened
Well, this had got me worried now :(
After starting that "carrying lights in checked luggage" thread and people saying its a-okay, now saying its not. Bummer!!

How will a TK10 go through security with the tactical ring?

Unique, lights in your checked bags still seem to be just fine, just like knives. The focus of this thread is lights in carry-on bags you take through the TSA checkpoints.

I don't think you would have any problems with a TK10. No "sharp" points on the tactical ring right?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understand the rules correctly you can't check a light with Lithium or Lithium-Ion cells in it though.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to able to check in those items, they wouldn't stop a business man with a laptop filled with no less than 8x18650's. But they'll stop a light with 2 piddly protected RCR-123 or one protected 18650. Laptop cells are not individually protected. They should specifically ban sony laptops because they're more likely to go :poof: than a protected cell flashlight and would be more of a hazard because of the amount of batteries in them.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to able to check in those items, they wouldn't stop a business man with a laptop filled with no less than 8x18650's. But they'll stop a light with 2 piddly protected RCR-123 or one protected 18650. Laptop cells are not individually protected. They should specifically ban sony laptops because they're more likely to go :poof: than a protected cell flashlight and would be more of a hazard because of the amount of batteries in them.
You aren't allowed to check spare lithium batteries though (laptop batteries included). You can only check lithium batteries installed in device.

balou

Enlightened
They should specifically ban sony laptops because they're more likely to go :poof: than a protected cell flashlight and would be more of a hazard because of the amount of batteries in them.

problem is, maybe 60% of all laptops contain sony batteries (all macbooks e.g., dell, hp...)