Ultimate dynamo light - make a wish

hamilgs

Newly Enlightened
I sympathize with the desire to innovate & build a better mousetrap, but my solution is off the shelf, and might be worth considering for some folk:

SON hub dyno + 2 each B & M IQ Fly (w/standlight) in series (would prefer Cyo or EDeluxe) + B & M 4D Toplight Senso Multi (standlight + AA batts).

The headlights are not state of the art today, but pretty much were when I got them several years ago. Also two in series works quite well, even at low speed. By having two lights, I can aim them a bit differently to provide a wider pattern. I also run the IQ Flys all the time (think daytime running lights) & have had cyclists wonder what is coming towards them scooter, motorcycle? Anyway the dyno hub is ideal for me.--george

BrianMc

Enlightened
In the better moustrap category, the E3 Supernovas are now available as a hi (round beam) and low German Sv-whatever-it-is standard. They are the better part of $450 the pair from Peter White. The Schmidt is high $200s to low 300s depending on model, and the nice tailight is about $70. So $700-750 plus the wheel build and shipping, or almost $1000 at your door. For those who can afford to go that route, it looks like an excellent setup and a bench mark for any all-out dynamo light setup.

BrianMc

Enlightened
I did convert the 3 XPG light I developed for battery use to dyno a couple of years ago.

I cut the fresnel lens from a plastic halide light and narrowed the beam and got a decent high cut off which the hood trims.

The switchover circuit in place:

The Sturmey Archer 90 mm drum and dyno hub (less drag with light on than off):