Until HDS comes out with a key chain flashlight, what are you carrying?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ironically, Nitecore Tube.

Not a fan of Nitecore in general. Had a couple of bad experiences. Unreliable lights. Even had the TIP at first that failed miserably on me. But I liked the attachment point on the Tube and its flat design. Including its simplier U.I. compared to the TIP. Bought one, and several months later it has quietly taken up permanent residency on my main keyring.

Often, I would try out a number of various keychain lights. All would not last long, and then my Photon Freedom would quietly find its way back on there until I tried out another potential candidate to replace it. Usually, the new light would last a couple of weeks maybe longer. But soon enough, it was back to the Photon Freedom. I think the reason why the Tube is not going anywhere is because unlike the TIP, Nitecore got the Tube right. Reliable, no stupid B.S. like having an exposed charging port or buttons elevated to the point that after awhile they want to pop out. Plus, the Tube has all the features I like in the Freedom. Flat, very lightweight, drop-dead reliable.

45 lumens on High might not seem like a lot, and it's not. But it's definitely enough for what you'd reasonably expect to put a keychain light through. If I need more, that's what my primary or secondary lights are for.

nbp

Flashaholic
I actually really like the Tube too. I think the UI is fantastic for a small pocket light or any light really. (I think the old EX10 was similar.) On in low, easy ramping, shortcut to high, momentary. I got a few of the Tubes. Gave one to a buddy and he loves it. I think one or two died on me, still have one. But they're cheap enough to buy a handful in case you lose or smush some.

ven

Flashaholic
DQG spy with 219b, super small and always with me when out and about.
s6sWZNGl.jpg

djj

Newly Enlightened
I always have my titanium Muyshondt Maus and black Photon Freedom with me. Love them both.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have my titanium Muyshondt Maus and black Photon Freedom with me. Love them both.

How do you like the Maus? I was considering the Maus but my hands are huge (XXL) and the McGizmo Sapphire seemed to have more tactile gripping surface to operate the light.

Last edited:

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
Muyshondt Aeon!

Superb quality, wonderful Nichia emitter, smaller than anything using AAA (CR2 battery is great compromise between size and power), great UI: choose 1,15, or 160 lumens with half presses. Great battery life with the 1 or 15 lumens--haven't had to replace my battery for at least a year.

One question: why do people keep their "keychain" light on a keychain? My Aeon is just fine being loose in my pocket and keeping it separate from my keys makes finding the right key easier.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Muyshondt Aeon!

Superb quality, wonderful Nichia emitter, smaller than anything using AAA (CR2 battery is great compromise between size and power), great UI: choose 1,15, or 160 lumens with half presses. Great battery life with the 1 or 15 lumens--haven't had to replace my battery for at least a year.

One question: why do people keep their "keychain" light on a keychain? My Aeon is just fine being loose in my pocket and keeping it separate from my keys makes finding the right key easier.

That's because the Aeon is not a keychain flashlight. Yes, there is an attachment point, but it's intended to be a pocket flashlight; there is a clip. Such a cool flashlight if it weren't for the unconventional battery size and warranty.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Muyshondt Aeon!

If your keychain light isn't on a keychain, than it isn't a keychain light. If it's in your pocket, it's a pocket light. No matter how compact it is.
On my keychain I have been carrying a Prometheus Beta QR V1 for about 6 years. The original 2 mode light that used constant current on high and low mode, and used the Swiss style connector. I was using my HAIII light up until less than a year ago when it suddenly quit on me, and I switched it out for the EN version of the same light that's just as old. Someday soon I'll contact Jason at Prometheus Lights and see about sending my old black HAIII light to him to see if he can fix or repair it.
I have introduced other lights to my keychain to "tag along" with the Beta and provide alternative/backup light, but those other lights always end up being removed while the Beta has never been "dethroned" as the ultimate keychain flashlight in my opinion and experience. It's just so darned good. Nowadays they're being made with 3 mode drivers that go low medium high, and run the more compact cantered spring QR from his kappa QR.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a nebo micro. Great UI and a momentary turbo. Green and red led as well

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mate of mine is about to carry a black 2 mode Promrtheus Beta.
I'm seriously impressed, lovely CT and tint plus a silky twisting action.
P

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently rocking the Rovyvon A8. It's very feature-rich: Nichia 219c LED, UV/Red/White secondaries, and USB rechargeable. At under $50, I think it's in-line with what you're getting. I see very few keychain flashlights on the market packing as much in as Rovyvon is. The main disadvantage (and why I would like to see an HDS keychain light) is the lack of durability. The Rovyvon lights lack waterproofing, and the A8's body is polycarbonate. On the other hand though, the weight makes it easily manageable on a keychain.

gkX5mTa.jpg
I5evMHl.jpg

The other keychain flashlight I run is a George Kemene's Omicron in titanium. Such a beautiful, classy keychain flashlight in all respects. It's fully programmable with Guppy Drv., has a Nichia 219c as well, and has tritium in the tail cap for easily locating it at night. My main issue with it is that the light is actuated from the tail cap, so it can be difficult to switch to progress modes. I don't use it as often anymore, but it's still a stellar light that isn't leaving my collection anytime soon. If HDS did make a keychain light, I think I'd want it to be a twisty.

90hEkwT.jpg
yyTaIFz.jpg

kJQlzpt.jpg

djj

Newly Enlightened
How do you like the Maus? I was considering the Maus but my hands are huge (XXL) and the McGizmo Sapphire seemed to have more tactile gripping surface to operate the light.

It's smaller and smoother than the sapphire, and I'm not crazy about twisting back and forth to change levels. But having three levels is very nice and it has a very high quality feel overall. Other than the Photon, which is a totally different kind of flashlight, I haven't found another one that I want to have on me at all times.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other keychain flashlight I run is a George Kemene's Omicron in titanium. Such a beautiful, classy keychain flashlight in all respects...If HDS did make a keychain light, I think I'd want it to be a twisty.

90hEkwT.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I am keeping an eye on George's designs. He likes to keep it small, which is great. Soon, I hope he comes out with a simple AAA format. I would pay $350 for that with tritium. Just now saw his thread on the Balaton Flashlight. Going to look into the Balaton...

I enjoyed reading your review thread on the Omicron in a post dated 9/2/2018.

If anyone wants to see his designs go to the WTS Custom Titanium & Exotic Metal Flashlights and search for "George". Hopefully, soon he will get a place in the CPF Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders section of the website. But, they might charge $$ for that, I do not know.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
A mate of mine is about to carry a black 2 mode Promrtheus Beta.
I'm seriously impressed, lovely CT and tint plus a silky twisting action.
P

The EN light is even smoother. Noticeably smoother. I used the black beta a very long time, and it seemed like the o ring would always end up kinda dry. I figured maybe some kind of capillary action from the HAIII. The EN feels about as smooth as the copper beta.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am keeping an eye on George's designs. He likes to keep it small, which is great. Soon, I hope he comes out with a simple AAA format. I would pay $350 for that with tritium. Just now saw his thread on the Balaton Flashlight. Going to look into the Balaton...

I enjoyed reading your review thread on the Omicron in a post dated 9/2/2018.

If anyone wants to see his designs go to the WTS Custom Titanium & Exotic Metal Flashlights and search for "George". Hopefully, soon he will get a place in the CPF Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders section of the website. But, they might charge $$ for that, I do not know.

Not only does Gyorgy Kemenes make cool little lights, he is a really good guy as well. Pleasure to deal with.