Useful Flashlight Lumens and Spread

TLRam1

Newly Enlightened
What are useful light outputs for a utility flashlight and what spreads are too close to be noticeable.

I have never had one of these but just my research I have wondered if you cut the output in half would be a good start, ie: 800 - 400 - 200 - 70 etcs., not exactly but something not too far off.

I am looking at one for myself and one (more of a utility light) for my Dad.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
We perceive brightness in a logarithmic way, so twice the lumen will not appear twice as bright..... it's closer to a square function (4x lumens appears twice as bright). Keep in mind how your eyes also dark-adapt (a fraction of a lumen can be searingly painful when you first wake from sleep). Sub-lumen and single-digit lows (my favorites) can be exceptionally useful, especially for reading and close task work, or indoors with reflective white walls, and they give you massive runtime from small single cell EDC lights.

I like modes steps 5-10x on the low lumen side and 4x on the high lumen end.

TLRam1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks reppans.

Not sure why this thread was moved to Recommend as this was started in General Discussion as a general discussion regarding lumens.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks reppans.

Not sure why this thread was moved to Recommend as this was started in General Discussion as a general discussion regarding lumens.

I would say that your statement about getting a light based on the question made it more like "I am looking for a light for me and my dad..."

:D

Anyway...the lumen numbers above are meaningless w/o beam angle/lux specs to accompany them.

If a light has a floody beam, it takes a LOT more lumens to cover the larger area to the same lux.

If a light has a very tight beam...once the lux reaches your eye's saturation point (Your pupils have stopped down, etc...) you really can't tell if it gets brighter by looking at the spot of light well at all.

Another issue is the perceived brightness, which humans suck at, and the useful brightness, which we won't be typically able to notice unless we are looking for targets with the light, etc.

IE: If I have two versions of the same light, one is a 500 lumen light, and the other is a 1,000 L light, and I shine them at a white wall a few feet away, on different days for example, I might not be able to tell which is which unless they are side by side.

The perceived brightness is not significant.

If I am using the same light to LOOK for something, say what turned over my garbage cans at 3 am...I will see more of what's out there at a time with the 1,000 L light than the 500 L light. I will see things further away, and, off to the sides, etc...as there's simply more LIGHT out there to see by.

So the mantra/dogma about perceived brightness has a context...what you can tell against a white wall/looking at only the beam spot, etc.

In use of a light, even a 5-10% increase in lumens makes a difference in what you can SEE....even if you can't tell that one's brighter, it WILL show more of what's out there.

As to what output and spread, that depends entirely on what its FOR, and, what the beam characteristics are.

So, for example, when I choose a light for a task...I start with the range of interest, and the amount of light I need to be on my target at that range.

If I need to search for a body in a large lake from a boat, I will NOT be considering the same light (regardless of the output levels) to find the bathroom in a strange hotel room in the wee hours of the morning, etc.

If I need a broad view, I go floody. If I need range, and can't carry enough lumens around with me (More output = more battery power/size/weight/shorter runtime, etc...) I go tight...to GET the range given the limits of the form factors.

A tight beam SUCKS for close up tasks...its a teeny circle of light that you need to aim at exactly what you want to see, so on a dark trail, roots, snakes, etc, can go unoticed until its too late.

A floody beam SUCKS for super long distances, as it takes way too much power to throw a flood of light very far.

And so forth.

So, its very rare to need a lot of low levels on a throwy light, because low levels are really for close-up use, and that's the opposite of what a throwy light is good for. Its a lot more useful to have lower levels on a floody light, as, for close work, especially if your eyes are night adjusted, you just don't need a lot of light.

Some people want a light that "does everything" and they do a lot of silk purse with sows ear solutions...throwy lights with diffusers and moonlight modes, etc.....but those don't work as well as dedicated lights.

So, think about the maximum range (in meters for example) that you might want to be able to see things at. Square that number...and that's the MINIMUM cd rating for the light you want. (It gives you 1 lux at that range)

So, if you want to see stuff at 100 meters, square 100 m and get 10,000. That means you want a light with at least 10k cd.

(Ignore the ranges they PUBLISH, as those use throw to only 0.25 lux, which is OK close up, but is useless for most people for details at long ranges - IE: You see there's a spot of light, but not what its shining on, etc.)

If you, or your dad, have poor night vision, you might need as much as 5 lux instead of the 1 lux, so you multiply the cd for 1 lux, by 5, to get the cd needed for 5 lux at that range.

(= 50k cd to get 5 lux at 100 m, 40k cd for 4 lux, etc...)

Then consider how wide a field of view you want at that range...that's going to give you your beam angle.

Most lights don't give you that spec though, so, you just SAY how wide a field of view you want at a given range...and I can do calculations from there if you can't get the data.

TLRam1

Newly Enlightened
I would say that your statement about getting a light based on the question made it more like "I am looking for a light for me and my dad..."

Yes I figured that to be the case and thought about leaving that bit of info but I wanted to give info as to who might be using the light, woman, child, 78 yr old Dad who would use what is a useful lumen output more often and the other outputs less. I have narrowed down the lights I am looking at and now it sorta comes down to what are the useful lumens in general.

I figured if I had a high post count and left out the above it probably would have stayed in General Discussion....but I didn't.

Now let me get back to reading your post.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Most senior folk [who don't live on a farm] will be using their flashlight indoors almost exclusively; this means you'll want something with a broad beam, and insane lumen numbers won't really be necessary. 10,000 lux is a focused Maglite, which is too tight for around the house, look for ~5,000 lux or under for a nice big spot that covers a large area without moving the light around. Older eyes need more lumens, but anything over 500 lumens is overkill indoors. Take into consideration your dad's comfort with technological details - most seniors don't care for modes on a flashlight. If that's the case, you're looking for a single-mode light with a low lux that uses common batteries and is between 50-500 lumens.

TLRam1

Newly Enlightened
Yes my Dad would not like anything too difficult to operate but he is 78 and probably show his friends the cool light and output than switch down to a lower mode most of the time.

Didn't think about the focal lenth of the beam, probably a balanced flood and not a particular thrower, nice formula you have there.

As I plan to buy more than one light what do people use/like for settings regarding lumen output is important.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As I plan to buy more than one light what do people use/like for settings regarding lumen output is important.

You'll find most of your flashlight use will be done at low levels, so a light that can go very low, 1 lumen and below, is very useful. The goal is to use only the amount of light that you need to complete your task - once your eyes are dark-adjusted, ~25 lumens lights an entire room. Using your light efficiently means much better battery life, and you get to keep your night vision once you turn the light off. Bearing that in mind, here are some rough guidelines:

Reading in the dark - <1 lumen
Walk familiar path indoors - <1 lumen
Light immediate area, alone, ceiling bounce - ~2 lumens
Light area, small room, ceiling bounce - ~25 lumens
Walk familiar path outdoors - ~25 lumens
Light area, family/dining room, ceiling bounce - ~100 lumens

..and that covers 99% of how you'll use your flashlight, almost exclusively low modes.

One easy way around all this is to just use a light with infinitely variable output; The Sunwayman V20A is a fine example, as it uses a ring on the body to adjust output from <1 to ~150 lumens, no modes, just dial up the output that suits you.

TLRam1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the useful info, that's what I was looking for. That gives an idea to anyone reading how bright bright is in a given environment.

Latest posts