UV model needed for scorpion hunting

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender carries a P60 style drop-in with UV. He used to have the Nichia at 365nm, now he only has a different one at 395nm. The Nichia has for some reason become very hard to find.

In any case, if 395nm works for your application, that would be one good solution, you'd need a 6P style host, and genuine Surefire hosts are now available cheaply as Surefire has gone on to new designs (try LA police gear for a gunmetal one at less than $40).

You would be running it with 2x123 batteries, so it would be relatively small and light flashlight. Much better than the fluorescent solutions.

For another soluion -- Don (McGizmo) sells expensive custom flashlights and he carries a UV solution in 365nm. Make sure which wavelength is necessary, since you would be paying quite a lot to get it in a McGizmo flashlight.

Last edited:

Red Green

Newly Enlightened
I use several UV wavelengths in one of my businesses, and living here in the SW I've also use them to search for scorpions (and look at purdy rocks). I've not really noticed a major difference in how bright they appear, the longer wavelengths 'seem' to be a bit brighter but they also show more visible light which cuts contrast a bit making the difference negligible. I've also run across instances where two nearby buds both glowed brighter differently/opposite the other, go figure. BTW I run primarily 365 & 385.

Calibu

Newly Enlightened
Would they run away if you light them up with philips luxeon UV LHUV-0390-0450 (390-395nm, 3.1W, Peak Wall-Plug Efficiency 32%)? What about LHUV-0380-0200 (380-385nm, 3.2W, Peak Wall-Plug Efficiency 15%)? or LEDENGIN - LZ1-00U600 - LED 5W 365NM?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast model PX10 and Led Lenser V2UV version light that makes the florescent dial on my watch glow like a nuclear power plant. It works well for finding both cat pee and the occasional cat yack in the middle of the night.

Both of mine are Led Lenser branded and they work quite well. As mentioned earlier, they also do well for examining drivers licenses for the security feature built it.