• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

V54 Monthly Giveaway

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: More giveaways?

... or a coupon of a certain amount off a light, say $150-$200?

If you give a coupon, perhaps you could make it transferable. That way, if the winner could not afford to purchase a light with the coupon, he could give or sell it to someone else.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Re: More giveaways?

Well, I'll kick things off here! I would do a review . . . but my first V54 light isn't here yet since I just won it! Thank you Vinh for your generous heart! My second is also with the first :), so I'll have to just leave you with something interesting.

The same 4x4 that left us stranded on the Salt Desert got more years of service before we sold it. As a matter of fact, after the 3 weeks it took us to recover enough to walk again, we went back to the town of Uyuni. Our 4x4 had been fixed and we wanted to repay some kind friends that had helped us in our time of need. They only let us pay a tiny portion. Amazing people and wonderful friends to this day!!

Here's my interesting bit. We left Uyuni and headed for another city called Cochabamba. To get there you have to cross a big mountain range. Our 4x4 had a built-in altimeter. When it hit 14,500 ft it stopped! I tapped it, pushed buttons, and tried to get it to keep counting. I was very curious how high we would be traveling overland. It didn't matter what I did, it wouldn't work. We kept climbing and climbing and eventually crested and started working our way down. After a while, I noticed that the altimeter started working again and was counting down.

Who knew, built-in dash altimeters apparently have a cap. I'm bummed that I don't know how high we were, but I'm very confident it was over 15,000 ft.

What's the highest you've ever traveled on land?

Thanks again Vinh for the opportunity.

Last edited:

rejsr

Newly Enlightened
My guess is 4354. Of all my VN54 lights, the X60vn is the most WOW overall. The TK61 is also amazing for throw.

Last edited:

SA Condor

Enlightened

So, who knew that there are countries that won't allow people from countries with the death penalty to adopt children from their country?!

We found that out when adopting our littlest child. We've got 2 biological children and then adopted our littlest. Bolivia happens to be one of the countries that will not allow adoptions to people from countries with the death penalty. We are Americans, and the death penalty almost made it so we couldn't adopt here. BUT, because we hold a permanent residency here, we were allowed to adopt as Bolivian nationals!! She's been ours (with her forever family) for just over a year now. We finished up the last of the name change paperwork last year on my birthday 8/27 :) I thought that would be a good number to select!

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light from the Sun takes a little over 8 minutes to reach Earth. If Vinh could mod the Sun it would take less than 5 minutes.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a power failure in 2012 during the week of 4th of July due to terrible storm. It lasted 9 days and the temperature was above 100 degrees on 8 of them. I thought I was prepared but I was wrong. I know have enough batteries and lights efficient enough to last 2 weeks of nights.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

5b3db4dce643294b7d17b8a7e56f573f.jpg

So I've been told the quarry I walk around each night has snapping turtles. Never saw them to tonight. 1 big one and a smaller one. The painted turtle went swimming by the snapping turtle and I thought it was going to lash out at it, but it pretty much ignored it. I couldn't get the 2 snapping turtles in the same picture but it was cool seeing them.

lumentia

Enlightened
My favorite v54 light is the x2vn (now called the sl2vn with Vinh's own SkyLumen branding). It has an early version of his driver vn, XML2 u3 dedome PDTc, McClicky switch, extra solder in the pill, GITD boot, and an orange peel reflector. It always starts on high and puts out out 1300- 1400 OTF Iumens. It's pretty much my go to light because it throws well for a floody light, is super bright, has a nice tint, and fits in my pocket. This particular light is both for utility and tactical (self defense ) use. It's also my EDC. VTC5 makes this thing rock and roll.

My second favorite 54 light is the m43vn. Stupid amount of lumens and has a really nice tint and wide, general purpose beam without a distracting spot/ spill pattern. The Hotspot just fades into a small, dim, spill that works well without being too bright on your feet. I have been showing v54 lights off at work and everybody wants to know where to get them. So you might see some more customers from colorado.

Last edited:

SA Condor

Enlightened

My favorite Vinh light is one that I've never held yet! It's the MaratacVN in copper :D

Here in Bolivia, there are amazingly HORRIBLE flashlights available everywhere, and if you want to shell out some money, you can buy Energizer flashlights and headlamps :faint: SO, when I bust out my lights they always have the wide eyed look! They kind of expect a bright beam from my bigger lights, but is my regular little Maratac that gets them every time. They just can't believe 138 lumens come out of that tiny little light.

For this reason, I CAN'T WAIT for my little MaratacVN to get here. I'm going to give my wife my regular one and I'm going to carry the Vinh one everywhere! The expressions on their faces are going to be priceless!!!!

SA Condor

Enlightened

Most people think that all sign language around the world is 'universal'. Did you know that there are almost as many different sign languages as there are spoken languages in this world?! There is an international sign language, but it is not widely known. In the deaf that I've met from around the world, we've reduced our communication to gestures. It's amazing what can be communicated even though there's a language barrier!

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite V54 is the X60vn. Even though it's on the big side, it's still light enough to not be burden on my nightly walks. It puts out 6500 lumen and 625+ lux. It makes night look light daylight. I'm fortunate to have gotten a Fiat Lux version and the tint and focus is perfect. Its hard to believe that 5 LEDs can be focused into one tight hotspot. Only drawbacks are it gets hot fast. It does cool pretty rapidly but on high I get about 8 minutes before having to step down. The only other negative is the control ring has no standby mode, so the forward clicky on the tail is only way to turn on and off. The build quality is good as I have issues. Vinh recommends not using the inlight charger which I would never use anyway. I use it with sanyo hybrid 3500mah 18650G and with 20 to 30 minutes use, the batteries are usually at 3.9 or just under that. I highly recommend this high lumen ultra thrower.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to Skyline Cavern in Virginia Saturday. It's a tour of a cave featuring stalactites and stalagmites other stuff you would find in a cavern. I've never been but I've been to nearby Luray Cavern. It's known because it has an organ that uses stalactites to make music. The largest cave is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Made a National Park in July of 1941, it's over twice the size of the next largest cave. I'm gonna take my M25C2vnT and my TX25C2vn twins (XPG2 and XM-L2)

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
My favorite light of all my VN lights is also one of the least expensive ones I own, the Mini TN30. Whenever I have someone come to work on my house, especially in the crawlspace, which is very large and dark, I let them use this light, and their reaction is always hilarious! I even caught one guy checking for the model number before handing it back to me. It is really funny when they pull out their little Walmart light and can barely see anything, and I say "here, try this one".

Last edited:

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
My TN32vn is basically a light saber after 10PM. Since I am in a very urban area, I pretty much disturb traffic whenever turning it on...most of the time, people are just wondering why the tops of trees are brighter than the road.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite light of all my VN lights is also one of the least expensive ones I own, the Mini TN30. Whenever I have someone come to work on my house, especially in the crawlspace, which is very large and dark, I let them use this light, and their reaction is always hilarious! I even caught one guy checking for the model number before handing it back to me. It is really funny when they pull out their little Walmart light and can barely see anything, and I say "here, try this one".
Number needs to be less than 5400 [emoji2]

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
I pick 675 as my number, and the reason why will become apparent soon enough.

This was my Triumph Daytona 675 (well, second one actually, but we're not going to talk about that highside). In true can't leave s**t alone fashion I spent the purchase price of the bike modifying it to win the prestigious "Bike of the month" award on a certain forum. I won't go into my obsession fully, but it did manifest itself with the seat. I had the man himself, the famed John Longo, stitch up this beauty. The red psychedelic material was from his private stock that went out of production in the early 80's that he made to look like a snake's head, complete with doll eyes. In it's "mouth" was poisonous armored Amazonian tree frog hides. Soooo.....how many people do you know that have rubbed the boys up against a deadly amphibian?

Last edited by a moderator: