Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened
I have had an ITP a3 on my necklace for over 1 1/2 years, 24 - 7, shower and bed, and it has held up great. Use it quite often, but not for long and a lot on low so the battery can last 3 months easy.. great light. Going to upgrade someday, is a Peak eiger lug as small? Does the Peak eiger pocket have any attachment point. The pictures on their website are confusing. Does the QTC pill hold up nowadays? Thanks for any input.

Pila

Newly Enlightened
I carried MagLite Solitare AAA for many years (mostly for peeking into computers, connectors and such; its max was walking along the path - carefully and slowly), have had no other option. Hated it: shines like a small lighter and works even worse with rechargable batteries. But, it was in my pocket always. In 2009. I bought Fenix LD01 to replace it. Fenix LD01 still works perfectly and was always with me, free in the pocket and I did not know it was there until I needed it. But, I do not like twisty.

For years, I was looking if something might replace and improve it in my pocket. Ideally, it would be a small AA Clicky. Fenix LD15, E10, E11 - did not like. Bought Nitecore Sens AA - very problematic. Just bought Fenix E12 - excellent. But: when left in a pocket free, it lies horizontally across and over my leg. Quite uncomfortably when seated and I am constantly very aware of it. I made a little holster so all my pocket goodies would stand vertically (5 small compartments). In that configuration, E12 AA seems absolutely acceptable even when seated (I am currently testing it for less than a week).

Few days ago I bought Fenix LD02. AAA Clicky, 100 lumens - 505 lux turbo lights at 30+ meters easily and well, lowest speed is 8 Lumens with very gentle 20 Lux. Without my newly made holster, I would have to say this is an excellent EDC lamp. Actually, it lasts longer and throws more and better light around me than the huge MagLite 2c Incan which I was using for years to shine at any distance longer than few meters away (e.g. searching for our cats in the yard, 5 - 25 m away).

In all cases - eneloops, so run time is free and eternal in both AA and AAA size for me.

But: I am well organized. Now I use lamps heavily, probably 50+ times daily in house and outside (I live in a tourism oriented village on an island). So, whenever I go out, I tend to bring a stronger AA lamp, the Fenix LD10 from 2009. with me, mostly in Fenix AB02 holster. Net result: My EDC AAA is not my most often used light, but it is absolutely always with me! That makes it the most important. If anything should happened, my EDC AAA is with me for sure!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that's about it in the way of forward aaa clickies, the pelican 1910, streamlight microstream? Aside from 2x AAA streamlight & eagletac penlights, but curious to know if there are other of those too with forward clicky.

Nice collection, yoyoman. What's your favorite Clicky?

You mean set... In general, the AAA size is not optimal for clickies and most of them are reverse clickies. I like the new DQG and Lumentop Tool. I don't have the new version of the Pelican 1910 (more output and 2 levels). I like the Peak Turbo from Oveready without QTC and the momentary switch. My favorite and EDC is the Tain Ottavino AAA twisty - tighten to off, loosen to low and keep turning to High. Very easy to use with one hand and easy on the eyes.

hahaha yeah SET. Every AAA flashlight has as specific an individual application as each in a row of wrenches!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know - a few months back I was looking to lighten the load of my workbag and trying to find a replacement for my HDS Clicky as it adds a good chunk of weight to my bag. I saw a 4 Sevens sale and picked up 2xAAA Preon Penlight. I have to say that I was quite impressed when I got it. 3 very usable levels. The high is actually quite bright - I don't see a need for it often as medium would do most work tasks I need it to - but great that it is there in case needed. I carry it around with the other pens in my bag and it works great.

I liked the light so much I grabbed a few more while the sale was on as they will make great gifting items.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Few days ago I bought Fenix LD02. AAA Clicky, 100 lumens - 505 lux turbo lights at 30+ meters easily and well, lowest speed is 8 Lumens with very gentle 20 Lux. Without my newly made holster, I would have to say this is an excellent EDC lamp. Actually, it lasts longer and throws more and better light around me than the huge MagLite 2c Incan which I was using for years to shine at any distance longer than few meters away (e.g. searching for our cats in the yard, 5 - 25 m away).
So that's about it in the way of forward aaa clickies, the pelican 1910, streamlight microstream?
You missed the post just above your own, probably because the information you were after was buried in the middle of a lot of other information.

At any rate, you can add the LD02 to your short list of clicky activated AAA lights.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Having received one of the Preon AO's the other day, I'm once again carrying a AAA light in my watch pocket.

Fantastic little light and anyone with any doubts should check them out.

I am late to the AAA game, my EDC is a Quark123.
I know this is an old post but I'm interested in either the SS Atom A0 or I found a SS Preon P0 CREE XP-E online for sale. Assuming the Atom is just the newer version with a slightly better runtime?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that's about it in the way of forward aaa clickies, the pelican 1910, streamlight microstream? Aside from 2x AAA streamlight & eagletac penlights, but curious to know if there are other of those too with forward clicky.

You missed the post just above your own, probably because the information you were after was buried in the middle of a lot of other information.

At any rate, you can add the LD02 to your short list of clicky activated AAA lights.

Whoa the ld02 has a forward clicky?! I thought I'd read otherwise in a couple early reviews.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I know this is an old post but I'm interested in either the SS Atom A0 or I found a SS Preon P0 CREE XP-E online for sale. Assuming the Atom is just the newer version with a slightly better runtime?
I haven't been paying much attention across the board in a while but just stick around and someone can answer that for you.
Whoa the ld02 has a forward clicky?! I thought I'd read otherwise in a couple early reviews.
I'm planning on getting a couple of the newer AAA lights, this included and figure that even if I don't feel like keeping it I can always gift it away.

markr6

Flashaholic
I didn't have any AAA lights, so I got the new Fenix E05.

- Slightly too large for my keychain
- Too small to operate as easily one-handed like a 1xAA
- Easier to lose
- Size not enough advantage compared to the output/runtime of a slightly larger 1xAA

I knew most of this already, but for $17 I wanted to try it out. The output is impressive for such a small light.

recklesstryg

Newly Enlightened
I have had CR123 based lights (Surefire P60, Fenix P20-P22) and AA based lights (Maglite LED). I tried some penlights in the past (streamlight).

But I just got a 4Sevens Preon 2 and I am in love. It is smooth, small, fits perfectly into my back pocket and Bright. I thought that I would not like the way that the clicker started at low power and you have to press repeatedly to get a brighter beam but i have found that the low setting works for most occasions.
I did modify the tail cap. I didn't like the metal button that stood to proud, so I took it out. Then I couldn't easily press the button so I milled out the shroud. it has been a little banged up since I got it from being in my back pocket.

14711031736_630895bc5c_z_d.jpg

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output is impressive for such a small light.

That's the great thing about pretty much all the current line-up of AAA lights. It's not hard to get around 100 reliable lumens from an AAA with the current LEDs available. An amazing feat really since the just 5 years ago getting 100 lumens off a CR123 light was impressive.

My 2xAAA Preon Penlight can blast 200+ lumens. Pretty impressive for it's size.

I constantly wish these lights were around 30 years ago when I was a kid trying to read comic books under the covers at night using an AA MagLight.

mzil

Enlightened
^That reminds me. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a AAA LED light, I'd like to point out one that often gets overlooked by forums such as ours, probably due to a stigma attached to some of the companies' earlier incandescent designs: the Maglite LED Solitaire. They still make the non-LED version, which is comparatively terrible, so don't accidentally get that.

For not much money, nearly half the price of all the others, you get an impressive design and it even sports some features which are quite rare on most other AAA LED lights, including a variable zoom feature [although it isn't artifact free. It has rings.]

I'm not claiming it's just as good as my numerous Olight, iTP, Maratac, 4Sevens, etc. designs which I collect, but considering its low price and acceptable performance in day to day use, I would say it is one of the better values out there.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They still make the non-LED version, which is comparatively terrible, so don't accidentally get that.

What do you recommend, then, in the single AAA category of incandescent flashlights? I don't know of any other. Because the only reason I was considering it is for the actual photons (incandescent light reveals truer, more accurate color), and not for its performance compared to LED.

mzil

Enlightened
I haven't bought a non-LED AAA light for over a decade. In my use LEDs have no major shortcomings and I don't think you can generically say incandescent lights, especially single AAA versions, have "truer, more accurate color". There are good ones and bad ones of both categories. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that Lumensfactory makes an incandescent drop-in for a single cell light. You can get a very small P60 host from Oveready, and a slightly larger one either Surefire or Solarforce. Personally too big for a keychain, but that is subjective.

If you haven't tried a light with the Nichia 219A, I do recommend it. The CRI of 92, with an unobtrusive color temperature make for very good light quality.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
chillin - I don't think you posted in the wrong place. I think you just got legitimate viewpoints on the Solitaire AAA light. We've probably all owned one of them at some time or another. For me that was about 10-20 years ago and I don't miss it. It was cool in it's time since it was the only thing out there, but now it's so overpowered in brightness by 2032 based 5mm fauxtons that it just doesn't have a practical use. Even with a fresh AAA battery it starts or ridiculously dim and then gets dimmer from there.

If it floats your boat that's totally cool and enjoy it. I'd rather have a HiCRI XP-G2 which is around 2700K and will give you much more brightness and runtime off an AAA cell.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that Lumensfactory makes an incandescent drop-in for a single cell light. You can get a very small P60 host from Oveready, and a slightly larger one either Surefire or Solarforce. Personally too big for a keychain, but that is subjective.

If you haven't tried a light with the Nichia 219A, I do recommend it. The CRI of 92, with an unobtrusive color temperature make for very good light quality.

thanks jabe1
I do have a Nichia, but its a NSPU510CS (375nm UV). As for your first paragraph... idk what you just posted LOL. You flashlight guys have your own language LOL! What is a P60? The little number-letter combinations (assuming they're model numbers) I read in threads here make me curious, and I google (because some threads are ancient), but I can never be sure if I'm looking at what was mentioned.

I've posted over on the incan side of the forums,
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...escent-mini-flashlights&p=4479438#post4479438

so as to not hijack this thread any more than I have. Mea culpa.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What do you recommend, then, in the single AAA category of incandescent flashlights? I don't know of any other. Because the only reason I was considering it is for the actual photons (incandescent light reveals truer, more accurate color), and not for its performance compared to LED.
Absolutely not.

For a AAA incan I would suggest building one, but not using the historically pathetic example of the Solitaire for your template.

Okay, enough of the OT, but poor information like this should not be left to stand unanswered.

Thinking about AAA, and also having been playing with my HDS Clicky today, I'd sure love to have a AAA version of it as well! Of course Henry doesn't want to do a AA, so the AAA Clicky is even more of a farfetched pipe-dream!

mzil

Enlightened
I found my LED Solitaire and was playing around with it. I was shocked to discover it actually has a better throw, when focused tightly, than my Preon P1! Not bad for being close to a third of the price.

Another cool feature it has, I forgot to mention in my other post, is "candle mode". You screw the head off and get an illuminated, bare LED which shines in all directions, like a candle or a glowing point-source orb, and with the flat bottom the light can tail stand to illuminate the whole room, ~ 360 degrees horizontally and vertically, much more evenly than any other 1xAAA LED light I own (or know of).

Am I the only one here who owns one of these? Peeps, they are so cheap, online, it's worth getting it just to see what I'm talking about. :) [To people who think some precise color temperature value and completely artifact free illumination fields are what matter most in keychain lights: don't bother. This light isn't for you.]

Last edited: