Vintage Kellite 2C (Kel-Lite CPL-2)

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. I believe the lights that Don's selling are new production using some NOS parts. I never did get around to asking him the last time I chatted with him but based on the machining differences I think they're new production.

I do know that Norm nelson ended up with all of the intellectual rights and tooling to produce the lights. When he passed he left all of this to his protege Andy Studer. I had a chance to talk with Andy once and he had no desire to produce the lights so he sold everything to a business that put in a bid on it. That corporation happened to be owned by Don. The only thing Don doesn't currently own is the Kel-Lite name. That is owned by the former investors in the now defunct Nordic Technologies which attempted to produce some lights including a pilot's model in the late 80s after purchasing the rights to the name from Streamlight.

That trademark hasn't been used and I'm no expert but it is due to expire pretty soon where I'm fairly sure Don can claim it because he's been using it.

konifans

Enlightened
A Kel-Lite CPL-3 (3C cell).

2C V.S. 3C

Maglite 2C V.S. Kellite 3C

Got one 3C Kel-Lite! It is smaller and shorter than a Maglite 2C!

I am using it with 2x 18650 Lifepo4 batteries + Maglite 5 cell Xenon PR bulb. It is as bright as a Surefire 6P.

So now I am missing a Kel-Lite 4C... Any one has one for sale please drop me a PM.
:naughty:

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
Very interesting. I believe the lights that Don's selling are new production using some NOS parts. I never did get around to asking him the last time I chatted with him but based on the machining differences I think they're new production.

I do know that Norm nelson ended up with all of the intellectual rights and tooling to produce the lights. When he passed he left all of this to his protege Andy Studer. I had a chance to talk with Andy once and he had no desire to produce the lights so he sold everything to a business that put in a bid on it. That corporation happened to be owned by Don. The only thing Don doesn't currently own is the Kel-Lite name. That is owned by the former investors in the now defunct Nordic Technologies which attempted to produce some lights including a pilot's model in the late 80s after purchasing the rights to the name from Streamlight.

That trademark hasn't been used and I'm no expert but it is due to expire pretty soon where I'm fairly sure Don can claim it because he's been using it.

Did not know that Don Keller finally got his tools back. This is great! But Don is now very old? I do not think that he can start production again, considering that the demand of this old staff is very small. I think he is using NOS parts or refurbish the parts he got from the second hand market like Ebay.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did not know that Don Keller finally got his tools back. This is great! But Don is now very old? I do not think that he can start production again, considering that the demand of this old staff is very small. I think he is using NOS parts or refurbish the parts he got from the second hand market like Ebay.

Don told me he acquired all of the original tooling and plans from Andy however, I don't know for sure what he is producing and what he's using NOS for. I think I recall him saying that barrels, end caps, and bezels are relatively easy to produce through a machine shop. Reflectors, switches and contacts I believe are old stock, some used and some new. I've restored a few lights and he almost never has reflectors or they are very expensive and not new. Other parts he has a ton of and they're inexpensive.

I know Don has a partner that helps him who I believe is in CA and is younger.

I'm experimenting using aircraft stripper and Almost Chrome to restore the reflectors instead of replacing them but I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess around with them lately and no new restorations came in. I only do about a dozen restorations a year and only 1 or 2 Kel-Lites so I haven't had a lot of demand for the reflectors yet.

Also, I'm restoring a 1st gen 4C right now! :grin2::grin2: It had a stuck battery. I'm half way between selling it and holding on to it. I have sooooo many lights and I'm really only supposed to be collecting Maglites.

Have you ever seen the "Baton Lights" from Kel-Lite? I don't have one but would love to one day. They are 5Cs with a spacer that came in 18", 22" and 26" models. 22" is the size of a Mag 7D so they are some long lights! I'd also love to have a 1-SKL (1D) but they are next to impossible to find.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
Don told me he acquired all of the original tooling and plans from Andy however, I don't know for sure what he is producing and what he's using NOS for. I think I recall him saying that barrels, end caps, and bezels are relatively easy to produce through a machine shop. Reflectors, switches and contacts I believe are old stock, some used and some new. I've restored a few lights and he almost never has reflectors or they are very expensive and not new. Other parts he has a ton of and they're inexpensive.

I know Don has a partner that helps him who I believe is in CA and is younger.

I'm experimenting using aircraft stripper and Almost Chrome to restore the reflectors instead of replacing them but I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess around with them lately and no new restorations came in. I only do about a dozen restorations a year and only 1 or 2 Kel-Lites so I haven't had a lot of demand for the reflectors yet.

Also, I'm restoring a 1st gen 4C right now! :grin2::grin2: It had a stuck battery. I'm half way between selling it and holding on to it. I have sooooo many lights and I'm really only supposed to be collecting Maglites.

Have you ever seen the "Baton Lights" from Kel-Lite? I don't have one but would love to one day. They are 5Cs with a spacer that came in 18", 22" and 26" models. 22" is the size of a Mag 7D so they are some long lights! I'd also love to have a 1-SKL (1D) but they are next to impossible to find.

You are right that the aluminum parts are easier to make. All of them are turning parts, even the barrel can be made from a solid aluminum bar, although the original barrel were made from extrusion. No need tooling, but detailed drawings.

But for the reflector, I guess it is a stamping part, which needs a stamping tooling and a stamping machine. And the plastic part need injection tooling and injection machine. Those machines are very very big and expensive. So even if he has those tools / moulds, it could be useless. Also, anodize of the aluminum part and electroplating of the reflector in the US could be very expensive, if the quantity is too small. I guess all of the parts Don is using are from old stock / collection or the second hand market.

As for the reflector, I am thinking, if it is possible to be made from solid stainless steel - by turning - and then polish it. It can be mirror high gloss, just done by polishing. High grade stainless steel lasts forever, even better than chrome plating. The bulb retainer can also be a turning part, and it can also be metal....

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the reflector, I am thinking, if it is possible to be made from solid stainless steel - by turning - and then polish it. It can be mirror high gloss, just done by polishing. High grade stainless steel lasts forever, even better than chrome plating. The bulb retainer can also be a turning part, and it can also be metal....

That's exactly how KAI does their Maglite reflectors except they are aluminum.

konifans

Enlightened
I am not sure, if the reflectors from those vintage Eveready or Rayovac or something like these, can be used in Kel-lite... as they look quite similar and use the same "conduction technique".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Right, that's aluminum + electroplating, the cost is much cheaper with a large production quantity.

Lax enviormental laws and government over sight also plays a roll. In America it's becoming more difficult to even do the process unless your donations to the secret policemans ball are long as train smoke.

I am not sure, if the reflectors from those vintage Eveready or Rayovac or something like these, can be used in Kel-lite... as they look quite similar and use the same "conduction technique".

Correct-uh-mundo.
The silicone ring around the reflector is an improvement over primative cardboard that eventually evolved into a hard plastic contact breaker. The silicone has excellent flexibility and doubles as a wet weather stopper.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The thirst for a 1st gen 3C was quenched tonight. Decent price too. It's got enough scuffs to take it out to play without fear of scratching it. Woohoo!! Thanks for the pix konifans.
The Kel-Lite collection is complete now.

I'll do some 1 amp 18650's and a 6 cell bulb in it and put up pix when it arrives.

konifans

Enlightened
The thirst for a 1st gen 3C was quenched tonight. Decent price too. It's got enough scuffs to take it out to play without fear of scratching it. Woohoo!! Thanks for the pix konifans.
The Kel-Lite collection is complete now.

I'll do some 1 amp 18650's and a 6 cell bulb in it and put up pix when it arrives.

There is one more 3C in Ebay for $40. :D