Wanted: Highly efficient EDC flashlight, AA/14500

metalophile

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than $50.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry right around 4 inches long - my cell phone holster has a slot about the size of most AA flashlight diameters.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness) (prefer XM-L for efficiency)

6) Manufacturer:
Either
____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I want to be able to use AA NiMH or 14500 Li-ion interchangeably

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
(perferably also with a low mode ~30-70 lumens)

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

On the floody side. Or (gasp) flood to zoom aspherical - I like these for versatility.
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

60 minutes or more

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
3 -5 modes would also be acceptable.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

I want one of the most efficient flashlights available - my thought would be to have an underdriven Cree XM-L that would exceed 100 lumens/watt of input power. Does any such animal exist that maxes out at 200-300 lumens on high? As I mentioned before, extreme throw is not important to me.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens Quarks and Zebralights are going to be the most efficient lights with the longest runtimes anywhere (~200-300 hrs per AA) on their moonlight modes. However, a light that can accommodate the broad voltage range of <1.0 - 4.2V is not going to be quite as efficient as one dedicated to a narrow voltage range.

That said, the Quark AA XML (a 2xAA light with optional 1xAA tube) and ZL SC80 are probably the most efficient lights with the longest runtimes that will accommodate both AA NiMh and 14500s, but will be over your budget.

The Quark can be lego'd to your exact spec but will be close to $100 - Tactical version (2 programmed modes) + 1xAA body + reverse clicky.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to add another comment on efficiency since the definition can vary - I'm a big fan of AA/14500 "efficiency" in terms of runtime (and maintaining my night vision). I think all decent lights have pretty efficient boost drivers, and on the higher lumen modes, all the lights are going be pretty close in terms of max lumens and minutes runtime on a given emitter and battery. However, the buck drivers, and low lumen mode selection, are what really distinguish the Quarks and ZLs from the rest of the pack in terms of extracting runtime from a small single cell light.

Having the option of using a multi-hundred hour sub-lumen mode, as well as other low single digit AND low double digit lumen modes really stretches runtimes and conserves batteries by being able to always use the lowest possible level to accomplish a given task.

BTW, magnetic infinitely variable rings are a cool idea but have an electrical overhead draw the kills low lumen runtimes.

Last edited:

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
I want one of the most efficient flashlights available - my thought would be to have an underdriven Cree XM-L that would exceed 100 lumens/watt of input power. Does any such animal exist that maxes out at 200-300 lumens on high? As I mentioned before, extreme throw is not important to me.

This is impossible given your runtime of 60 minutes or more. You'll find flashlights with a little more than 100 lumens for more than 60 minutes, but an 14500 won't last long that long when it puts out 200 lumens. The most efficient flashlights will be over $50. The only thing I can think of that's under $50 is Fenix LD10 because it's being phased out for the LD12. In terms of aesthetics, I think the LD10 is the best looking AA light I've seen but that's personal opinion.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on what reppans said.

Spend the money & get a Quark. The quarks are specifically designed to run on all of the battery types (alkaline, lithium, NiMH, and runs best & brightest on a single Li-ion.) I edc the Quark XML head on my Quark AA body with a 14500 battery as well, and love it. It runs best on a 14500, but runs fine on the lower levels (just not max) with an alkaline or a NiMH battery. It is very bright with the 14500 (300+ lumens.) To get this setup, you have to buy either the Quark Pro QP2A-X or the Quark Tactical QT2A-X (depending on which UI you prefer) plus a Quark AA body to get the XML head for the single AA body. I have many many lights, and this quark setup is my favorite. This is more than you wanted to spend though, but worth it.

To save money & still get a Quark you could just buy the Quark single AA light (Quark Pro QPA or Quark Tactical QTA) which comes with the R5 LED. They don't offer the single AA quark with an XML head because the light burns through a single alkaline too quick (which is what the general public would be using.) The R5 is still a great performer running at a little over 200 lumens on a 14500 battery. Runtimes are great on all output levels as well.

If that is still too expensive then I like trevordurden's recommendation to get the Fenix LD10 or the newer LD12. These two lights run great on an alkaline, even better on a NiMH, but not so well on a 14500. These lights are really designed for the NiMH battery. If you run either of them on a 14500 then you loose all lower levels. Only the max output level works when using a 14500. It's a long story why (there's no buck driver & only has a boost driver,) but if you go this route then just stick with NiMH or alkaline in a pinch.

Good Luck

moozooh

Enlightened
ZL SC80 will do 200 lumens for over an hour on a good AA battery (Eneloop XX, Sanyo 2700, Energizer L91 Ultimate Lithium). No idea about 14500; some people have managed to use 17500 cells with it—they should be able to do even better.

metalophile

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the good suggestions so far! My thought was that the XM-L has an efficiency of 160LM/watt for the first watt. So driving it at just 2 watts should get close to 300 lumens out the emitter. I didn't consider the different efficiencies of the driver circuitry.

moozooh

Enlightened
If efficiency is your priority, none can do better than ZebraLights so far. They aren't cheap and they don't throw too far, though; I'd say you could get a second-hand one if you asked around on the Marketplace. Keep in mind that SC51 and SC80 are both XP-G, not XM-L; you could probably upgrade it to XP-G2 at some point down the line (it's more efficient than XM-L on <1 A).

Ezeriel

Enlightened

Assuming you want a light to use at the 100 lumen mark...

The Fenix LD22 is 92 lumens (ansi) for 6 hours, I don't know of any light that is more efficient than that.

The only other light that I know of that comes close to that, and is ansi rated, is the Quark 2 AA models, there are two models that will do 85 lumens for 5 hours

A zebralight SC51 is 100 lumens for 2.4 hrs off 1 AA, but with only 1 battery it's runtime isn't as long if that matters...

**If you are going to use LI-ions, I think Quarks are your only real option**

Edit: oh.. 4 inches... so it is a 1 battery thing

Fenix LD12 is 115 lumens for 2 hours 9 minutes
Zebralight SC51 is 100 lumens for 2.4 hours, and it has a turbo mode at 200 lumens for .9 hours, and it will take a Li-ion

I'm thinking the Zebralight SC51 is the winner!

/golfclap

Last edited: