• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Haiku High CRI

Exeter354

Enlightened
Oh boy, bout to take the plunge into another expensive hobby. Thought the $400.- switchblades would be the pinnacle of my titanium, carbon fiber, and trick gadget purchases. Guess it never ends. Getting a Haiku. How many heads should I get?? :thinking::thinking: Two are better then one I guess...

I started with a Haiku, then I added a Mule head and then a Sundrop head so that I could hot-swap for any need that arose. Eventually I had to add a Makai head in case I needed a light saber. You can't beat it for throw and it's just drop dead gorgeous on top of that.

When Don came out with the AA converter, I had to have one just for the sheer convenience of the AA. Of course, the same thing happened...had to get the AA pak along with each type of head. All of these lights have served me well in everything from work to play to power outages. As everyone says here...it's hard to own just one...they creep up on you and next thing you know you have a family of McGizmo's! Not to mention, Don is just about the greatest guy to deal with...period.

So you are absolutely right...two are better than one...but I doubt you'll stop there...

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy, bout to take the plunge into another expensive hobby. Thought the $400.- switchblades would be the pinnacle of my titanium, carbon fiber, and trick gadget purchases. Guess it never ends. Getting a Haiku. How many heads should I get?? :thinking::thinking: Two are better then one I guess...

Hi Qwikster,

You won't regret a Haiku or any McGizmo that's for sure.
I think teckul nailed it for a first purchase with the XPG2, 119V, Haiku and Mule. The 119V is an amazing LED, a must have in Don's offerings, and the XPG2 is perfect in the Haiku. You can always swap the XPG2 and 119V around with the Haiku and Mule as they use the same reflector in a Haiku head. I also think the 123 body is the best choice overall.
I've tried many combo's and have gone pretty Gizmo crazy in the last year or so. If I could only choose one McGizmo it would be a Haiku 123 with a 3S 119V but as you've noticed or been honest with yourself, you'll probably start with more than one or collect more in time.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Getting a Haiku. How many heads should I get?? :thinking::thinking: Two are better then one I guess...
Having made some expensive mistakes I'd opt for caution and start with a standard Haiku alone with the Nichia 219. A few years ago I bought a Sundrop, Haiku XR-E and a Mule then sold them all.

It wasn't until a couple years later that I got a Nichia 119 version that I fell for the Haiku and still have that one. The Sundrop and Mule are both lights you can go for anytime in the future if you decide to get them and Don is one of the fastest ordering/shipping light suppliers you'll ever find.

If money is no matter and it sounds enjoyable enough then go ahead and jump right in, but taking your time has its positive aspects too.

Qwikster

Newly Enlightened
Having made some expensive mistakes I'd opt for caution and start with a standard Haiku alone with the Nichia 219. A few years ago I bought a Sundrop, Haiku XR-E and a Mule then sold them all.

It wasn't until a couple years later that I got a Nichia 119 version that I fell for the Haiku and still have that one. The Sundrop and Mule are both lights you can go for anytime in the future if you decide to get them and Don is one of the fastest ordering/shipping light suppliers you'll ever find.

If money is no matter and it sounds enjoyable enough then go ahead and jump right in, but taking your time has its positive aspects too.
Thanks for the input about the Haiku. Your right about expensive mistakes. I purchased a few too many Microtech switchblades awhile back. Fun yes, but surely costly.
I've decided I'd like the Haiku XPG2 HIVE. I got to have my light levels like my Fexix & Nightcore lights. Don said the HIVE puts out about 3, 30, 100, 240 lumens. Nice climb. The diamond etched clip with the 1/4-20 holes is a given. I may do some anodizing work on it also if I can find the right guy. We'll see..

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've decided I'd like the Haiku XPG2 HIVE. Don said the HIVE puts out about 3, 30, 100, 240 lumens. Nice climb.
I need to find my Haiku now so I can get one of the new HIVE engines for it. Congrats on a great choice and I hope you'll post up with your first impressions when it shows up.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I jumped off the deep end and have ordered a Haiku High CRI with the HIVE converter for my first McGizmo. Hopefully this is also prevents me from needing to buy any more lights for a good while. So far I'm impressed with the speed with which Don has already shipped my order from yesterday, and the manner in which he conducts business.

The HIVE converter seems to address my preference for a nice low/moon level mode and a reasonable high as well. Programability is a plus, but the preset modes look to be reasonably spaced, particularly with the 119V in the LE. .8-13-70-172 by Don's measurements.

Happy New Years everyone!

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder what current its pulling with XPG at 240 lumens 1A?.

According to Don's measurements the HIVE converter and XP-G2 produce about 240 lumens at a current of 1000mA. The HIVE converter uses 12, 114, 391, and 1000mA for levels unless rush adjusted the defaults after he revised the driver.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the light today, and so far I am impressed with it. The body and head are well machined with no blemishes, and seem to have rather thick walls, which lends to a heft in hand that is quite nice. The forward clicky is extremely bizarre having only used reverse clickies, but I do like the momentary on ability and will probably get used to it with time. The clip is unbelievably tight, a very nice change to most though having to use two hands to clip it to jeans seems a bit much.
The 119V is gorgeous with a nice neutral white tint with perhaps a very slight rosey warm tint as opposed to my D25A's Nichia, but less of a warm tint than my Copper Tool's Nichia. The setup of the HIVE converter seems to be perfect for my needs, the Moon is dim enough for reading or night use. Low is suited for use indoors, and medium for outdoor walks. The high offers a really nice output when needed as well.

Seems I may have saved myself some money buying one of these to begin with.

TheJLew85

Enlightened
I finally decided to get one of these beauties. Email sent inquiring haiku hi CRI.
I just couldn't hold out anymore after all the good things I've read. My first McGizmo!

Robone

Newly Enlightened
That's awesome. I just ordered my second Haiku yesterday. My first one is with the xm-l2 HV 1x123. I was going back and forth on the xp-g2 and Nichia and decided on the xp-g2 for this one. I decided to split the difference : warmer tint and higher CRI than the xml but higher output than the Nichia. Although in the end the lumen differences are hardly noticeable any way. And lets be honest, my Mcgizmo purchases are far from over as is often the case. Not that you care about my reasoning behind my choices but I'm just sharing the excitement with you !!!!

TheJLew85

Enlightened
I'm just sharing the excitement with you !!!!

Of course!!!

And I was torn between the two myself. I'm already planning to order one with the xp-g2 but I'm going to wait until I receive the first one. I want to make certain that I love these lights. I'm 99.9% sure that I will though. Anyway congrats on your second order!!

jyak

Newly Enlightened
As noted, I am wildly new to posting to CPF, however I need some McGizmo guidance so I am reaching out. I am getting prepared to take the dive on a Haiku and I need a little advice. I have researched some great threads on McGizmo and appreciate the depth of postings and really like Don's work.

With all of that said, I am looking at a 119v, 3v HIVE, 1X123 configuration. The light would replace at Nichia 219 EDC that I have carried for some time as I love the CRI of that LED and prioritize rendering over throw. Even with that said, if I really want to go down the rabbit hole, and double down for a throw option, what is the runtime if were to add that stunning Makai head to my pre-stated Haiku config? I believe, according to the config chart I am within the compatibility realm, but I just do not have a feel for run time. There are some applications where I need some raw but elegant throw and I like the concept of working on a single platform. Thank you for indulging a newbie.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome @jyak .... I am not exactly sure I understand what you are asking ?

The Haiku and the Makai primarily differ in terms of the reflector and size of the bezel, which will not affect the runtime.

jyak

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome @jyak .... I am not exactly sure I understand what you are asking ?

The Haiku and the Makai primarily differ in terms of the reflector and size of the bezel, which will not affect the runtime.

Archimedes, thank you for the guidance. You answered my question perfectly. I had read through Don's compatibility chart and was fairly certain that the two units would work fine, but was also concerned that I might have missed something important from an electrical standpoint as I am not as familiar with the McGizmo product. Additionally, I would have hated to make a very expensive mistake. Better to ask than to be sorry.

I will likely go the Haiku 119v route after all of the posts that I have read; great sounding light. I will then add the Makai head thereafter. I really like the building block approach, or as I have read, the "lego" approach. Thank you again for answer and piece of mind. Great forum and thank you for not dowsing the newbie!

Quoddy

Newly Enlightened
After receiving my 3V 3S 119V Mule two weeks ago I decided to stay small and added a Haiku with XP-G2 and Hive. This will give me options and still have decent CRI.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
See the first post by Don in this thread for ordering information....McGizmo's are great!