We need to talk about Olight

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
agree.. fwiw, 47s are made by Olight

which is why your sales ad may interest some of the people in this thread

I am not a shill.. LOL
Got to say, that link wasted my time with so much extraneous blather. Perhaps slider can point out a more efficient way for the earnest members of CPF to get a flashlight from McBob…

Maybe buying a modified (reliably) Olight, will yield a more assured product?

And for those less versed in the kingdom of flashlights, it's 4Sevens I believe.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
agree.. fwiw, 47s are made by Olight

I know they were during the David Chow era, but unsure about the current era. Regardless, I don't think Olights are poorly made lights, just poorly designed in a lot of instances.

And for those less versed in the kingdom of flashlights, it's 4Sevens I believe.

It's currently Foursevens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I own like one flashlight from back in the day. Does anyone know if David is still actually involved with Foursevens or not?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own like one flashlight from back in the day. Does anyone know if David is still actually involved with Foursevens or not?

No. I did recently read David is considering getting back into flashlights, but he wouldn't give anything more than that.

tango44

Enlightened
The ultra rare quadruple post!

Every brand has their problems and issues. If you find something you like and it sticks and works for ya then more power to you. Don't let a bunch of people on a forum decide for ya. Try out some lights off your own DD and go from there.
A bunch of people includes you! This is why you and others participate in this great forum isn't it?

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
They are the only company besides Surefire with a two stage tailcap switch and that switch is the main reason I chose a Warrior X Pro instead of any other offering. It's a pleasure to use. That particular model has warm tint too. I don't like the idea of the proprietary battery but do I really have a choice? A rubber flap on a USB port is infuriating no matter how much cheaper or universal the flashlight is. And don't get me on UI - it's always that terrible, easy to produce, but contra intuitive multi click system or a dual switch design that somehow still doesn't have proper shortcuts to max output.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They are the only company besides Surefire with a two stage tailcap switch and that switch is the main reason I chose a Warrior X Pro instead of any other offering. It's a pleasure to use. That particular model has warm tint too. I don't like the idea of the proprietary battery but do I really have a choice?
Yes, outside of Olight. But if that switch is the most important thing to you, then it's a different story.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I should also add that I don't prefer all the lumens anymore because 1: its useless in my job, there is nothing worse than trying to search and having the beam blind you from a white wall reflection, 2: higher lumens means the light doesn't last long which is not helpful, 3: ever try looking under the seat of a car with 3k lumens and then looking around you in the dark? Its awful and finally 4: Higher lumens equals high heat and then that means the electronics and batteries burn out faster. This is all things I don't like and what you want may be different. However this is mostly the reason I don't care for many light brands that push over 1k lumens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I should also add that I don't prefer all the lumens anymore because 1: its useless in my job, there is nothing worse than trying to search and having the beam blind you from a white wall reflection, 2: higher lumens means the light doesn't last long which is not helpful, 3: ever try looking under the seat of a car with 3k lumens and then looking around you in the dark? Its awful and finally 4: Higher lumens equals high heat and then that means the electronics and batteries burn out faster. This is all things I don't like and what you want may be different. However this is mostly the reason I don't care for many light brands that push over 1k lumens.
With perhaps literally one exception, all of the insane lumens lights out there come with much dimmer modes that can be selected. Turbo is just there mainly for emergency use, and to help sell the lights to consumers.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
With perhaps literally one exception, all of the insane lumens lights out there come with much dimmer modes that can be selected. Turbo is just there mainly for emergency use, and to help sell the lights to consumers.
But not surefires. Generally they have a 5 lumen low, which isn't useful for anything but reading a book, and over 1000. So no useful mode that saves battery

Monocrom

Flashaholic
But not surefires. Generally they have a 5 lumen low, which isn't useful for anything but reading a book, and over 1000. So no useful mode that saves battery
It's just understood that SureFire produces specialty lights, for specific tasks. Anyone wanting general purpose lights that can be pressed into service for certain tasks, are better off looking at other brands. That's what I've been wanting for, for awhile now. Bought two lights just today. Neither one a SureFire. (Nitecore MH12 Pro, and Skilhunt EC300 RGB.)

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Got to say, that link wasted my time with so much extraneous blather. Perhaps slider can point out a more efficient way for the earnest members of CPF to get a flashlight from McBob…
You can PM me here if you like. I mostly mod Zebralights, but I do a decent number of Olights and Armyteks as well. I can't promise any special reliability upgrades since I don't usually touch the drivers, but I've never had any major issues with Olights in general. They are certainly nicer with better LEDs.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Honestly it really is specific lights with specific modes fit peoples needs. Someone who works as a park ranger or a deputy in a remote area might need a search light. I need a high low set up. Which is why I dont buy the handheld Streamlights, their 10 tap modes dont work for my needs. Its not specific branding, its just what ever fits your needs.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the only company besides Surefire with a two stage tailcap switch and that switch is the main reason I chose a Warrior X Pro instead of any other offering. It's a pleasure to use. That particular model has warm tint too. I don't like the idea of the proprietary battery but do I really have a choice? A rubber flap on a USB port is infuriating no matter how much cheaper or universal the flashlight is. And don't get me on UI - it's always that terrible, easy to produce, but contra intuitive multi click system or a dual switch design that somehow still doesn't have proper shortcuts to max output.

That's the same switch the M2R Pro had and once you got accustomed to it, yeah, it was very nice to use. Wish they'd use something similar on another light that doesn't also have the magnetic charging/magnetic remote switch feature.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just understood that SureFire produces specialty lights, for specific tasks. Anyone wanting general purpose lights that can be pressed into service for certain tasks, are better off looking at other brands. That's what I've been wanting for, for awhile now. Bought two lights just today. Neither one a SureFire. (Nitecore MH12 Pro, and Skilhunt EC300 RGB.)
Oh I get that. I was directly responding to a post that too many lumens is too much. Sure fire is one of the only brands where that's a problem. Them and Malkoff. Almost everyone else has lower modes so it can't be what rwolfenstein was talking about

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure fire is one of the only brands where that's a problem
Surefire is his avatar photo, he is a LEO, but hes branching out.. he just bought a 4 mode HDS clicky w a Low CRI, Cool White, 6200K XP-G2

the 4 modes are:
from off
press hold gives momentary maximum of 250 lumens
1 clic turns on at 110 lumens

from on
press hold gives momentary maximum of 250 lumens
2 clic gives low mode 9 lumens
3 clic gives Strobe

134 meters throw
4500 Candela
18 candela per lumen

Last edited:

the_real_chud

Newly Enlightened
Are they hard to get a hold of ? Man I sure hope not since my wife bought me 1. Says it has a 5 year warranty
Olight has switched to a lifetime warranty on all lights sold in the US retroactive to 1/1/2023. They seem to have learned from their mistakes. I have had nothing but good experiences with their CS including when they released the Baton 3 pro and some lights showed issues with the proximity sensor being too touchy. They contacted me within a week of the release offering a replacement or my money back and an open ended offer of replacement if I didn't want to act then,