We need to talk about Olight

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, the recalls are old news, but this thread is "We need to talk about Olight" and the recalls, more importantly the lack of customer service beforehand is very relevant. We need to talk about Olight and part of talking is actually listening and understanding. There's a difference between "wasting anger on others preferences" and raising awareness to others.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, the recalls are old news, but this thread is "We need to talk about Olight" and the recalls, more importantly the lack of customer service beforehand is very relevant. We need to talk about Olight and part of talking is actually listening and understanding. There's a difference between "wasting anger on others preferences" and raising awareness to others.
The recall means they actually listened and made efforts to make it right, sure it wasn't as fast as some of us would have liked but it wasn't something that began messing up fresh out of the box. It was over a month before I got one to accidentally turn on when my keys went over the tailcap.
I work around metal dust which is probably why mine acted up as early as it did.
If the light hadn't been set up to work a pressure switch through the tailcap the problem wouldn't have happened in the first place.

LRJ88

Enlightened
The recall means they actually listened and made efforts to make it right, sure it wasn't as fast as some of us would have liked but it wasn't something that began messing up fresh out of the box. It was over a month before I got one to accidentally turn on when my keys went over the tailcap.
I work around metal dust which is probably why mine acted up as early as it did.
If the light hadn't been set up to work a pressure switch through the tailcap the problem wouldn't have happened in the first place.
No, the recall meant that you had over a hundred reports coming in with issues, and among those several reports in regards to second-degree burns. It wasn't a case of "oh no people have input and we need to listen", it was a case of "we might be in deep poop if we don't pull this NOW". Had Olight been able to let it slide they would have, as is evidenced by the amount of people having been ignored when pointing out issues before and after. There's a massive difference between making sure there's no problem to begin with and to try to cover it over when an avoidable problem gets out of hand, and Olight's been more on the latter than the former side of that for years.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the recall meant that you had over a hundred reports coming in with issues, and among those several reports in regards to second-degree burns. It wasn't a case of "oh no people have input and we need to listen", it was a case of "we might be in deep poop if we don't pull this NOW". Had Olight been able to let it slide they would have, as is evidenced by the amount of people having been ignored when pointing out issues before and after. There's a massive difference between making sure there's no problem to begin with and to try to cover it over when an avoidable problem gets out of hand, and Olight's been more on the latter than the former side of that for years.
Except they weren't ignored and they did the recall, it just you felt ignored because it didn't happen fast enough for your liking? Thats how it looks to me, just because you don't get a reply on an email doesn't mean it never make to the complaint department.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except they weren't ignored and they did the recall, it just you felt ignored because it didn't happen fast enough for your liking? Thats how it looks to me, just because you don't get a reply on an email doesn't mean it never make to the complaint department.
Some people feel slighted and nothing you say can change it. It is what it is. We know that there's been Olight models that have had issues. Like many companies have. It looks like they recalled them. But that's just not enough for some people who feel like they've been personally attacked.
Toyota had that big recall on their brakes. People died. It happens. Apparently having a flashlight come on in your pocket is worse though.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

They were ignored until they couldn't be anymore. It took about 2 years after the first reports of the M2R having problems before the recall happened. Between those 2 years, they released yet another light with the same issue. The reports kept piling up and pictures of Warrior Minis were popping up everywhere with melted optics. That's not smart business. That's not safe business. That's an attempt at damage control.

I got responses from email and chat by the way, but it was brushed off by them. No "I'll connect you with one of our product engineers" to discuss the problem. Contrast that with my experiences with Foursevens. 1 email by 1 person and it was taken seriously, looked into and an email was sent out to everyone who bought the light addressing the situation within a week with multiple solutions for their customers within a week. That was a HUGE setback for them financially, but they did right by their customers because that's the way it should be. That's how they dealt with an issue that was not a dangerous one.

So who is going to trust a company that doesn't listen to their customers when there's a real problem with their lights?

LRJ88

Enlightened
Some people feel slighted and nothing you say can change it. It is what it is. We know that there's been Olight models that have had issues. Like many companies have. It looks like they recalled them. But that's just not enough for some people who feel like they've been personally attacked.
Toyota had that big recall on their brakes. People died. It happens. Apparently having a flashlight come on in your pocket is worse though.
I'd kindly not be misrepresented. Do not mistake me bringing up the recall as someone being just upset over tiny issues.

Olight has had MAJOR issues in many of their models for years. The complaints in regards to potential and common safety issues have been prevalent, and just to make sure i hammer home the point allow me to reframe this in a manner that you'll be less wont to misrepresent:

Imagine you have a car manufacturer, and that car manufacturer has had issues pointed out in their cars for a long time, issues such as the battery discharging itself during the day, the car running poorly, it not starting or it changing gears haphazardly at random times. Maybe the tyres haven't always been properly adjusted so they drift from factoy. Now they release some new models and their seat warmer melts the seats along with the wheels missing a few bolts. A recall is made, and now some people laud the company for doing something when there's been quality issues and ignoring the complaints which compound into the major issues.

As i've already mentioned Olight isn't sorry that this happened, they're sorry they couldn't get away with it since they'd be facing lawsuits. The only did the recall for fear of legal action due to them having manufactured a flashlight which could have lethal consequences should they have let it slide, they issued neither recalls or open warnings in regards to other flashlights which, as shown above, were hazards in their own ways.

I don't care if it got to their complaints department or not, people complained over the same issue for many models with similar issues persisting, which means they either knew and didn't care, or they knew but didn't see it as economically viable until they were strongarmed into it. Either way your representation of how other people have been met by this entire problem that has been Olight has shown that you haven't actually read the posts and understood the issue, i do hope you read now because the misrepresentation of the opinions and history here reeks of strawmanning.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd kindly not be misrepresented. Do not mistake me bringing up the recall as someone being just upset over tiny issues.

Olight has had MAJOR issues in many of their models for years. The complaints in regards to potential and common safety issues have been prevalent, and just to make sure i hammer home the point allow me to reframe this in a manner that you'll be less wont to misrepresent:

Imagine you have a car manufacturer, and that car manufacturer has had issues pointed out in their cars for a long time, issues such as the battery discharging itself during the day, the car running poorly, it not starting or it changing gears haphazardly at random times. Maybe the tyres haven't always been properly adjusted so they drift from factoy. Now they release some new models and their seat warmer melts the seats along with the wheels missing a few bolts. A recall is made, and now some people laud the company for doing something when there's been quality issues and ignoring the complaints which compound into the major issues.

As i've already mentioned Olight isn't sorry that this happened, they're sorry they couldn't get away with it since they'd be facing lawsuits. The only did the recall for fear of legal action due to them having manufactured a flashlight which could have lethal consequences should they have let it slide, they issued neither recalls or open warnings in regards to other flashlights which, as shown above, were hazards in their own ways.

I don't care if it got to their complaints department or not, people complained over the same issue for many models with similar issues persisting, which means they either knew and didn't care, or they knew but didn't see it as economically viable until they were strongarmed into it. Either way your representation of how other people have been met by this entire problem that has been Olight has shown that you haven't actually read the posts and understood the issue, i do hope you read now because the misrepresentation of the opinions and history here reeks of strawmanning.

Over the course of most car companies, from just about every car company they've had recalls and repairs most manufacturers do.
Doesn't mean I'm going to give up driving cars, as long as they make efforts to repair and replace the damaged parts as they become aware of them.

No two companies are the same, and I'm not new to Olight or any other brand that's been talked about on these forums over the course of me being a member.
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from making points, I'm trying to lower the hostility level on this conversation so it doesn't get closed.
I've been collecting flashlights for 25 years, I've seen my fare share of defective products. Setting mineral wool on fire is incredibly easy to do with electricity, that is more handy than scary.
Just keep it civil, and try not to exaggerate.
Have a nice day

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't mean I'm going to give up driving cars, as long as they make efforts to repair and replace the damaged parts as they become aware of them.

Now imagine they don't do that. Imagine taking your car that's under warranty to the dealer that you bought it from with a problem and they completely ignore it. Imagine finding it's not just your car with the problem, nor are you the only one that gets blown off. Imagine 2 years of continual incidents before the company finally decided to do something, because at this point they had to.

Are you going to continue doing business with that dealer or are you going lose all trust in them to do right by their customers?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now imagine they don't do that. Imagine taking your car that's under warranty to the dealer that you bought it from with a problem and they completely ignore it. Imagine finding it's not just your car with the problem, nor are you the only one that gets blown off. Imagine 2 years of continual incidents before the company finally decided to do something, because at this point they had to.

Are you going to continue doing business with that dealer or are you going lose all trust in them to do right by their customers?
Except it wasn't two years for me, even though I'm Canadian and our recall came after usa.

Honestly I think you've all forgotten just how dangerous this hobby is. Sure if you only buy stock lights you're fairly safe unless you abuse or mistreat the batteries.
Every light that pushes the envelope theirs risk.
I've lost more pairs of pants to Zebralight than I have from Olight.
I've had more factory defects from streamlight that went unanswered than any other company I've ever dealt with.
Every double lithium primary we carried back before 2010 was basically a pipe bomb waiting for a little misuse.
I still have modded lights from 2010, that just to get 500 lumens risked it catching fire after 30 to 40 seconds of use.
I know how dangerous flashlights can be and I treat them accordingly, and you all should as well.
If you are charging your batteries on a flammable surface, then I think you should go back to nimh batteries.
I suggest not buying new technology until it's been vetted by forum members for atleast a year, and if someone can't have an open and polite conversation about a product then I won't take biased opinions without a grain of salt.
🤷‍♂️
Play safe, keep your stick on the ice

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a non-fancy 2019 Toyota Tacoma purchased with most all of inheritance money from my parents (still consider it a good decision).

Toyota replaced some radar system component, a fuel pump, and a bed illumination weather seal; all at no cost to me other than my time.

That is good business I think. We never had an issue previous to the repairs.

Goguy08

Newly Enlightened
I just don't buy into the Olight hype, and there was a period when all people talked about was Olight, hypothetically making the Olight flashlight the miracles comparable to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. I am sure they make some great lights, but I disliked the flush switch shrouds on their lights that potentially lead to accidental activation, and they never listened to their customers regarding this concern. If I really wanted to get a side button light, I would go to Emisar instead of Olight.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Well, I own a number of Olight's. Love their side side switch and really love the new Arkfeld Pro. I work in the HVAC trade and can use all 3 lights on it.
I really don't understand why the dislike for Olight. Yes, I have read all of this tread.

scottk2112

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts on Olight batteries. Just ordered a couple of protected 18350s and I'm wondering if I made a good choice.

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Any thoughts on Olight batteries. Just ordered a couple of protected 18350s and I'm wondering if I made a good choice.
If you ordered them to use with an 18350 Olight model, it's exactly what you need. Otherwise they are overpriced, and may not work in some lights due to the extra battery terminal and plastic ring.