Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Since this took off, I changed the title. It used to say I'm back after a while, and wondered where our weapon light forum went. So, on to my specific question (I ended up ordering a Streamlight TL-7A Flex) and a lot of other good discussion:

Well, the thread title says it all. Glad to see some familiar names around still. Buying my first weapon light (Glock 19) and pretty sure I want a Streamlight TL-7A Flex, but thought hey, let's see what the CPF folks are exited about. I tried a search, and looking in the LED forum, but it seems perhaps the topic has fallen prey to political correctness. Let me know if I missed something.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Last year picked up an Olight PL-3 Valkyrie in the Limited Edition grey

Compact & runs off two cr123 in series. Do like the optic, good balance of beam profile. Uses a xhp35 hi emitter, that's important
Can't remember what I paid, but sure I got a good deal on it.
Have it on a 10mm carbine

note: the high & low beam output are close enough to just use the lower output,, it's not weak.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Tough to go wrong with any Streamlight or SureFire model for that job.
Inova's older offerings for pistols is a personal favorite.
Due to the excellent U.I. But nowadays, they don't even come up on a Google Search.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys! Seems I was correct, the forum is gone, assuming my memory is fair and there was one ~10 years back.

I looked at the Olight PL-3 Valkyrie and it does seem nice, I wouldn't mind the choice of levels. Since we are discussing it here, I would add I am looking for something smaller like the Streamlight TL-7A, one CR123, although RCR123/18350 capability would be a plus. I do want to keep the light flush to the slide, even if a protruding bezel can act as a feature to prevent out-of-battery in a muzzle contact situation. I think if I were putting it on a carbine like orbital instead of a compact pistol, something like the PL-3 would make a lot of sense.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has their relatively new turbo series of lights that have high candela. I don't know how the pistol light would look on your G19, but you might take a look at it and maybe it will work, I don't know. Good luck with the G19. :) (y)

Galane

Newly Enlightened
I want a left hand OWB holster for a Taurus PT11G2 with an Olight Baldr S mounted under the barrel.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend the TLR-7A. Been on my Glock 23 for a couple years now. Simple, small, sits flush with muzzle, and bright.

Lots of holster options for this model of light as well

Love Surefire but can't stand having the light stick out past the muzzle, almost makes my compact pistol turn into a full size pistol

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine if you had a subcompact, I tried few, but they all make it too bulky, I do not like how anything looks on my glock 36, it is either makes it longer or wider, or has parts that stick out and catch on lining of my pistol safe. Not to mention using it as a search light could be a crime, pointing a loaded weapon at someone, even if you just want to use its light is a felony in some states

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Hondo how about renaming this thread Weaponlights
you'll have readers.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys! Seems I was correct, the forum is gone, assuming my memory is fair and there was one ~10 years back.

I looked at the Olight PL-3 Valkyrie and it does seem nice, I wouldn't mind the choice of levels. Since we are discussing it here, I would add I am looking for something smaller like the Streamlight TL-7A, one CR123, although RCR123/18350 capability would be a plus. I do want to keep the light flush to the slide, even if a protruding bezel can act as a feature to prevent out-of-battery in a muzzle contact situation. I think if I were putting it on a carbine like orbital instead of a compact pistol, something like the PL-3 would make a lot of sense.
+

The Baldr S is smaller with built-in LiPo cell, two modes + laser
100lm
800lm

1701294889010.jpeg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

That's an opinion & that's fine.
to insinuate the Olight would fail and the others would not is just plain wrong.

No, I'm not some big Olight fan

anyway, 45,000 recoil rounds isn't nothing

1701297339365.jpeg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not put anything on a civilian carry gun, unlike police, civilians can not draw unless you are justified to shoot, and when that happens, you wont have time to fiddle with your light, the distance most likely would be less than 10 feet, you wont have time to aim. the only need 3 things, training training, and training. draw, point , fire, needs to be installed into your subconscious, and muscle memory. But yea, if you want to brag how good your gun looks, go ahead, anything will do.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

That's an opinion & that's fine.
to insinuate the Olight would fail and the others would not is just plain wrong.

No, I'm not some big Olight fan

anyway, 45,000 recoil rounds isn't nothing

View attachment 53407
I'm sure they would be fine and work as intended. I just also prefer a WML that runs on a CR123 because you're pretty much never gonna need it as a civilian. Been carrying a pistol for over 15 years and not once did I need it. I would rather see someone invest in some high grade tritium night sights such as Trijicon HDs and spend their time training to accurately hit the target successfully

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys...let's bring it down a bit.

Personal defense items are just that...personal. I used to be on a CCW forum with one gentleman that carried a revolver. Another guy criticized him for carrying it. They argued back and forth, and wasted lots of electrons. Lets not get into doing that. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, and what works for one may not work for another--just like lighting instruments. It's all individual preference. What one person carries is no one else's business, at least they are carrying, and that is what is most important. Yeah, if someone was carrying a little derringer as their only carry piece, I'd want to give them a little instruction, but at least they have something, and maybe that would be all they need, they know their situation better than me.

So please, let's not get into arguing equipment selection, it goes round and round, and only makes for bad feelings.