Any Sell sights...not ebay? And another related question.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have a few flashlights I'm considering selling. A while back I used ebay to sell things, but they recently changed their policy, requiring a SSN, along with other personal info...for the purpose of taxes or something. But I won't provide that level of personal info to a site which COULD potentially be hacked, then extremely personal data is stolen and used. So I'm wondering if there is another sell sight that is someone effective that doesn't require such level of info?

As a side note, I get why new products require sales tax....but why does me selling my personal items incur sales tax again? To me, that kind of sounds like a "double taxation" thing. I may just not understand the reason for "taxes on personal used items". Anyone have some insight on this?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ agreed,, You are sitting on a great site right here.. There's no phoney tax arrangements, and no outrageous fees.. Other than a 30 day paid subscription, and that cost only 5 bucks.

... Plus you will feel good becoming a supporting member of CPF, and for a few ducats more you can sell for a whole year!

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
How are you expecting to take payment? If you take Paypal, Venmo, or whatever the processor legally is required to report that to your SSN. IRS gets you either way, as if you make sales worth $600 or more you're required to pay tax on it, or show the loss. Best you speak to an accountant for that one.

That said, not sure why you wouldn't consider CPF. I've seen a $1k flashlight sell in less than a day, and we have the best targeted audience right here.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
eB bases sellers fees (13%?) on total sale amount. This including sales tax for each buyers state. eB also adds, to their percentage, shipping costs that comes directly out of sellers pockets. That's not right?
To become a seller on eB a person must agree to that arrangement.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did list them here...but apparently my prices were more than what people were willing to pay. Which is fair.

Which was why I was wondering about another place.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a problem. Again, I think I just want too much. But shipping is kinda high these days.

I did remove a couple of the lights. One I used with my niece, last night, to see if we could find caterpillars on some plants.....which are supposed to fluoresce under a black light. Didn't find any, but I wanted to keep a better thrower.

DRW

Enlightened
There's a lot of businesses who sell new items on eBay. Seems like those transactions should be taxed like the rest of us.
They are. Been selling my products there for over a decade.

Tax collection started a couple years ago, don't remember exactly when.

Last edited:

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
The part about "taxes", had to do with "taxes on used products, no longer new". I don't see how taxes can be acquired on personal items. Seems like "double taxation". Even "triple taxation",...if the used product is again sold.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, in 2023, the only way to avoid potential personal data loss is to not provide data to anyone. My account info was lost to thieves just months ago. They got it from my medical insurance provider, who is one of the largest of them. Nothing is safe now.

I used EB to sell some of my things years ago, and found it an entirely satisfactory method at that time. That said, I'm definitely not up to date on changes to the system since then. I may use it again soon, and will find out how bad it's gotten(?).

I very much prefer to use a system which allows flexible options within the structure of an 'auction' format. I gather that things are listed on this site as (in essense) a 'buy it now' price listing - period, and that's a pretty restrictive method for me. If I could at least list a 'buy it now' price, but could optionally have an 'OBO' added to that, I'd probably go for it. I don't think that option is provided for here(?). I'm aware of the rather laborious serial 'price drop' posts which are apparently used here. I find that a bit tedious.

These are offered as 'as is' opinions:)

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
aznsx, I had sold several things on Ebay, but stopped when they required my SSN. I get that it is for tax purposes,...but that was why I was inquiring about how used items can incur a tax. I know that the sale of used cars and houses have taxes on them,...so I suppose it is supposed to be the same as with a light that is less than $100?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can anyone keep track whether an item is being sold new or used on eBay? People/companies would claim new items are used to dodge the tax other vendors are forced to pay.

But then again eBay is altogether disagreeable to me and we purchase from places like illumn, orbtronic, and (unfortunately) big river for the convenience and relative security in case something goes wrong.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the other political extreme wants to borrow more and more, print more and more paper money so they can luxuriate in a false world of pleasure, power over others and infinite greed.