What are 14500 Lithium Ion Rechargeable batteries made from

kingofkeys79

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I have been following the forums for a while now. But I have a question that I couldn't google an answer to.

What are the 14500 Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries made from?

For example, I know the the 9V NiMH are made up of six 1.2V NiMH cells. I am trying to build my own AA sized Lithium Ion Rechargeable battery for a project with a custom specification. I always assumed that these packs are made from Lithium Rechargeable Button/Coin cells, but I couldn't find any coin cell for LIR that are of similar diameter to AA batteries (14.5 mm diameter). I saw one with 12.5 diameter (LIR1220 - 15mAh), but they do not combine to give me the regular ~700mAh that you get from a 14500.

Any help or comments would be helpful.

Onthelightside

Enlightened
I woulden't open a Li-ion battery unless you really know what you doing because Lithium is quite dangerous stuff. I work with Li-ion and Li-O2​​ cells in my university lab with precautions taken...

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short, a 14500 Li-ion battery is made from a single Li-ion cell around 14 mm dia, 50 mm long. No coin cells involved. For what's inside said Li-ion cell, Norm's link is quite good.

kingofkeys79

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. That link really helped. I now see the obviously huge mistake I made by assuming that the Li Ion battery was made of several other cells.