What are the farthest throwing EDC flashlights?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only things that I know (and I don't think there's much more available publicly) is:
* 40 kcd, no battery specified, so probably 18650
* XP-L HI
* same UI as that of D4 (superb!)
* 18650, 18500, 18350 tubes. Interchangeable with those from D4
* coming soon
* pictures:

I'd like to read about this Eagletac. Looks like a competitor for D1. :)

https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-dx30b-mr-rechargeable-clicky

All the cool kids are calling them Eagtac now :) Anyway, my general impression of Eagtac is that they are higher quality and more refined design than the budget Chinese lights, and for that matter, than many of the namebrand Chinese lights like Olight and Nitecore and Klarus (that latter two of which have definitely had lots and lots of quality discussion here).

Agpp

Enlightened

All the cool kids are calling them Eagtac now :) Anyway, my general impression of Eagtac is that they are higher quality and more refined design than the budget Chinese lights, and for that matter, than many of the namebrand Chinese lights like Olight and Nitecore and Klarus (that latter two of which have definitely had lots and lots of quality discussion here).

Interesting...looks slimmer, but longer (D1 looks like ~29 mm head and ~72 mm length). Would be cool to see a direct comparison.

dhvl1357

Newly Enlightened
I was in need of exactly this kind of a light last year and sadly, being on the budget end of finances, I went for an Eagle Eye X6R XP-L HI neutral white. I don't have numbers, but throw is just a little less than a Convoy C8 XP-L HI cool white, while still being pocket friendly; though the clip is not so great as it keeps spinning around.

Scourie

Enlightened
I've got a P60 host with a Skylumens dedomed XPG2 module. Rated at 55kcd and throws further than I can :D

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
for non-modded lights, here are possible EDC lights you can easily buy depending on your budget and preference:

1. Convoy C8 XPL Hi 2.8A CW 6500-7000k 95k lux (~ 20USD)
2. Nitecore P30 XPL Hi CW 95k lux (~60USD)
3. Olight M2X-UT XPL Hi CW 160k lux (~85USD)
4. Manker U21/Utorch UT02 XPL Hi CW 130k lux (~80USD)

I can vouch for those four, I own each. :)

When you go for throwers, don't just look at the lumens, lux (or cd) is what you check out. :)

For modded lights, sky's the limit (translation Skylumens ha ha)

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I just ordered a tx25c2vn. I wanted a light that is not much larger than the sc600. With the high CD I am excited. I am just hoping it's not too big for me :/ I just received the D4 in the mail and I am anxiously awaiting to hear about the throw of the D1 but I feel the V54 tx25c2 will still out perform it.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Emisar lights are anything but "budget Chinese lights". They are very well designed and solidly built with an exceptional driver designed by flashlight enthusiasts from BLF. The Emisar D4 is the best light I've purchased in years. FAR better than any of my Eagletacs or Zebralights.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar lights are anything but "budget Chinese lights". They are very well designed and solidly built with an exceptional driver designed by flashlight enthusiasts from BLF. The Emisar D4 is the best light I've purchased in years. FAR better than any of my Eagletacs or Zebralights.
I wouldn't say it's better than Zebralights. Most people I've seen praise the D4, but say that they don't carry it due to how easily it activated in the pocket. Hopefully a V2 would fix this issue. Still, the D4 isn't fully regulated like the Zebralights. Obviously it can't be and hit the numbers it does, but I'd be happy if it were regulated to about 500-600 lumens at least.

Agpp

Enlightened
I wouldn't say it's better than Zebralights. Most people I've seen praise the D4, but say that they don't carry it due to how easily it activated in the pocket. Hopefully a V2 would fix this issue. Still, the D4 isn't fully regulated like the Zebralights. Obviously it can't be and hit the numbers it does, but I'd be happy if it were regulated to about 500-600 lumens at least.
I'm not sure what do you mean, as far as I know V2 is what everyone sells now and it has solved the problem
There were very few V1 lights sold, and all by RMM; that version was never offered by intl-outdoor.
BTW, I had 3 accidental activations EDCing it since it's available and had no problems with that. Thermal calibration restrains the light and all I see is a shining spot on the pocket. In fact, while the light gets hot in hand, in all 3 activations light was what I noticed, not heat.

So far I've been locking it out by untwisting slightly, doesn't work well it seems. I'm untwisting it more now, will see how is it. If it still doesn't work, there's always software-lockout.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. The D4 uses a FET+1 driver. Regulated output is only used for low modes below around 160 lumens where the single 7135 regulator chip kicks in. Above that you get unregulated output using a FET. The upcoming FW3a has a better solution using a FET+7+1 driver. That setup allows fully regulated output up to 3 amps (using eight 7135 regulator chips), while still having a FET for max possible output.

The D4 is very solidly built with plenty of metal. So far none of my three D4s has experienced any failures or defects. This is far better than my record with my Zebralights. I've owned around a dozen Zebralights and 70% either arrived with defects or developed major failures within a couple weeks of very light use. I would not trust a Zebralight to be my EDC... too unreliable.

Also, I consider the D4's UI to be much superior to Zebralight. In my opinion the D4 has the best UI of any flashlight that I've ever tried or heard of. It's much more intuitive than the Zebralight UI and unlike Zebralight there's no risk of accidentally blasting yourself with turbo when you were trying for moonlight (very easy to mess up the timing on a Zebralight especially if you just woke up and are sleepy).

I've been carrying a D4 in my pocket without using any lockout for the last month or so. So far I've had zero accidental activations. Hopefully that will continue.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what do you mean, as far as I know V2 is what everyone sells now and it has solved the problem
There were very few V1 lights sold, and all by RMM; that version was never offered by intl-outdoor.
BTW, I had 3 accidental activations EDCing it since it's available and had no problems with that. Thermal calibration restrains the light and all I see is a shining spot on the pocket. In fact, while the light gets hot in hand, in all 3 activations light was what I noticed, not heat.

So far I've been locking it out by untwisting slightly, doesn't work well it seems. I'm untwisting it more now, will see how is it. If it still doesn't work, there's always software-lockout.
I didn't really think about the V2 of the software when I mentioned that, but I'm talking about a slight physical design change that would prevent accidental activations. Mechanical or software lockouts are not an acceptable fix for accidental activation for me.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. The D4 uses a FET+1 driver. Regulated output is only used for low modes below around 160 lumens where the single 7135 regulator chip kicks in. Above that you get unregulated output using a FET. The upcoming FW3a has a better solution using a FET+7+1 driver. That setup allows fully regulated output up to 3 amps (using eight 7135 regulator chips), while still having a FET for max possible output.
The D4 is from Hank at International Outdoors, and the FW3a is a BLF designed light, correct? I would love it if the D4 was a FET+7+1.

The D4 is very solidly built with plenty of metal. So far none of my three D4s has experienced any failures or defects. This is far better than my record with my Zebralights. I've owned around a dozen Zebralights and 70% either arrived with defects or developed major failures within a couple weeks of very light use. I would not trust a Zebralight to be my EDC... too unreliable.
I've heard of a few issues with Zebralights, yours being one I've heard most often. I've also heard of many horrible abuse stories (like running them over with a lawn mower) and they still worked to the surprise of the owner. I don't consider Zebralight bomb proof by any means, but I do consider them to be much more rugged than the average light. The D4 isn't potted, therefore I wouldn't trust it if I needed a rugged light. It is set up to be an enthusiast light that is easy to mod. That is great since it isn't offered in the LED type and temp of my choice (also the only reason I don't own one yet). This isn't to say it isn't good quality.

Also, I consider the D4's UI to be much superior to Zebralight. In my opinion the D4 has the best UI of any flashlight that I've ever tried or heard of. It's much more intuitive than the Zebralight UI and unlike Zebralight there's no risk of accidentally blasting yourself with turbo when you were trying for moonlight (very easy to mess up the timing on a Zebralight especially if you just woke up and are sleepy).
I have yet to use the D4 UI, but I haven't had accidental blasting of the Zebralights since about the first week of owning one. I can see where it would be a problem for some people, especially if loaned out. Although, if someone else is borrowing your light, anything more than just off and on is confusing for the average person.

ven

Flashaholic
This little light has to be a contender(granted its new)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?438458-FourSevens-Goliath-R

On the D4, vinhs D4vn punches out quite far from the xp-g2 PDT. Its impressive how the light is channelled more narrow(well compared to the 219c). Very noticeable difference in beam. Dont have the xpl HI version to compare.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?437641-Emisar-D4vn-Smallest-18650-Quad-Thrower

On zebralight, these little lights have really impressed me. For 18650 size especially, so compact and nice in hand feel.

For me, both lights are really impressive, the D4 has awesome UI and just crazy output. The ZL has great UI, nice beam pattern and very nice ano. Honestly i would struggle picking just one as a fav, both lights are very good all rounders for me. Both lights are must haves imho.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emisar D1 is now available for sale. I think it's probably the furthest throwing unmodded EDC light. Same tube, tailcap and driver as the D4, but with a slightly larger head with smooth reflector. 43K lux on XPL HI. Sells for $40.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
D1 is available to preorder. But the D1s with an even larger head hasnt appeared on either mtn electronics or intl outdoor yet. Thats the one im waiting for