What are you listening to? Volume 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Metallica - Hardwired :rock::rock::rock:

A brand new single from their long awaited upcoming album "Hardwired...To Self Destruct" coming out 11/18/16.

One warning...there is some bad language in this song.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dogma is an Armenian folk-metal fusion band. That's right, folk-metal! All the musicians are red hot. Listen, for instance, to the detail in the vocals by lead singer Zara as she harmonizes note-for-note with the guitar in a series of quick triplets. But watch out! Almost immediately, that nuanced section is followed by Zara's full-throated yell.

Dogma rocks! Relentless, driving rock. Turn it up!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wow! Great stuff there fellas.

For kicks and giggles I just twisted the dial on my radio. Landing on an eclectic station I'd always really enjoyed in my youth, they were playing some old favorites from back then.

It's a station we always had trouble picking up where I live as it's at the beach and I'm way inland. A trip to the beach back then always meant a day of hearing something on the radio besides the same ole crap over and over.

They played lots of Joe Jackson, Iggy Pop, Elvis Costello, and later the Smiths, Tubes, U2 during Bonos skinny pissed off days, the Police, and a whole bunch of bands not heard on the radio for years to come.

Well when the dial landed on what used to be K94 (now BobFM) the tune playing was "Joey" by Concrete Blond.

Very appropriate for stirring up vibes not felt since 1979 or so. So right now I'm sitting under a star lit sky (like when I was kid and all those shopping malls weren't built yet) listening to a bunch of great tunes on this so-called BobFM as "People are People" by Depoche Mode begins playing. Man tears welling up and goose bumps as it's like it's 1981 again. Wow!

Thoughts of chicks you wonder where they are, dudes you rode the surf with, all the smells are coming back along with fond, fond memories of a much simpler time. Then life took over and all this was just the past we didn't have time to think about as father time does his thing. Bon fires and beer. Hot dogs and hoodlums. Single fins and safety pins. And K94 was blasting out great rock & roll.
Now "Party on the Patio" by ZZ Top is playing. That stirs up fond memories of inland adventures.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Metallica - Hardwired :rock::rock::rock:

A brand new single from their long awaited upcoming album "Hardwired...To Self Destruct" coming out 11/18/16.

Glad to hear they've decided against the "just let everything clip and distort" production method this time, nice to actually hear the instruments.

It's a station we always had trouble picking up where I live as it's at the beach and I'm way inland. A trip to the beach back then always meant a day of hearing something on the radio besides the same ole crap over and over.

Come to the Small Portable Radios thread, we'll fix it. And Joey is from the 90's. Also, Apple Music's Classic Rock radio station has many hundreds of songs on it and doesn't have a single repeat over many hours of listening, with no commercials, highly recommended if you just want some nonstop bona fide rock.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Oliver Lieb with some of his old material remastered. Just discovering some of it. If you're inclined to this sort of thing, the Blueprint EP rocks. If anybody else on here is a long time Oliver fan, let me know if there are any "must have" material in your opinion. Generally I think the Hive is my favorite that I have heard. His solo Inside voices has a few killer tracks on it. Have not been able to get into spicelab in quite the same way.

KeepingItLight - Thanks for the Dogma post. That is something I could definitely get into. I don't do itunes. Doesn't look like physical copy or FLAC download is available though. I would buy a copy.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
THYX, Paul Oakenfold, Orbital, Chemical Brothers etc are playing in a compilation of techno type stuff heard in movies or tv comercials.

With a 32gb micro card in a Sansa there's never a shortage of tunes.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to come here and listen to something you might not otherwise have tried. Even when they are not my favorites, I am finding something to like in most of what is posted. Metallica and Oliver Lieb are both examples of that. Metallica showed that they still have some chops, although the "anger" seemed a little posed. Overall, I liked the new song. And Oliver Lieb is someone I am hearing for the first time. Definitely interesting.

When you guys move into my comfort zone, then it is pure delight. Gershwin, Joe Jackson, and Edie Brickell, just to name a few, were great to hear. Okay, with the Joe Jackson, I had to imagine I was hearing it.

Even though I have purchased almost everything I could find by Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, I never found anything up to the very high standards of their breakout single. With that gem in your pocket, you don't really need anything else.

@OneBigDay: The owner of San Mateo's largest CD and Vinyl store looked through his (online) catalogs for Dogma. He never found it. According to the notes at YouTube, the track I posted is from the 2009 album Ethnic-Methnic. Perhaps it is just as well that I can't locate the CD. I have spent considerable time going through the YouTube postings by Dogma. To date, I have not found anything that rocks as hard as Matchmaking. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot to like.

I am getting ready to update my sig-line. Before erasing the songs I have linked there, I want to copy the links for them here.

This is Gershwin's eternal Summertime, performed by Joss Stone and LeAnn Rimes. For the most part, backing comes from the LeAnn Rimes touring band, featuring guitarist Stuart Mathis. His playing is wonderful on this track, both on the intro and the solo. It is easy to overlook the intro; if you are not careful, it will go by before you are focused.

LeAnn and Joss both deliver the goods. I love the way Joss practically falls over in amazement midway through, completely blown away by LeAnn's pyrotechnics. By the end, all she can do is point at LeAnn in disbelief.

Hope you like this.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
All this time I thought Johnnies uncle was Fudd. lol
Turns out it's Bud.

That guy had a lot more influence on rock & roll music than most folks realize. His early rock-a-billy stuff from those Sun Records days carried a lot of unseen momentum through the next couple of decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.