What did you use your flashlight for today?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm trying to be put this nicely here, as I truly have no disrespect for security guards. It's a job like any other. Better than being a cop. But security guards aren't cool. It just isn't.
The way this post, and some others you've put out, comes across as a guy who really thinks he's tough with his light and his uniform. "I blinded that guy good to show him who the real man is".
Genuinely sorry you got that interpretation. I never once said anything along those lines. Nor do I act like a tough guy in front of those who trespass. Everyone I've kicked out was dealt with professionally. I shine my light into their car windows to determine what I'm dealing with. Practically all the cars in the neighborhood have tinted windows. How else am I supposed to see inside?

I need to determine if the vehicle is empty, if someone is sleeping, or perhaps passed out and needs medical attention. Which, 5 year ago; yeah that was the case. Or, if someone is in the middle of committing suicide and in far more desperate need of help. That's why I use my lights. And no, I'm not going to go into detail about that last one.
As the kids say, that's just cringey AF. Bragging like that.
Wasn't bragging. That was your interpretation. I can't help that.
Not to mention making a drunk drive off is quite irresponsible.
Irresponsible?.... Did I put a gun to his head and force him to drink until he became drunk off his backside? Did I then tell him to drive off or I'd gun him down? That would be a "No" to all of those questions. A young man, clearly above drinking age in America CHOSE to get wasted. CHOSE to get into his vehicle instead of calling a cab or an Uber. CHOSE to drive along the road being a danger to himself and others.

I'm now somehow responsible for this grown adult because he decided to pull into a Private parking lot where I work at before he passed out at the wheel? Yeah, no. I'm not his father. I'm not responsible for him nor for his actions. He CHOSE his actions. As a grown man, he's responsible for his actions. I'm not.

All the years I've worked there, I had one individual tell me honestly that he was too messed up to drive. Asked for my help. I called him a cab, made sure the driver knew where to take him. And assured him that his vehicle would not get towed away. Went inside, called up the tow company that has the contract with the client. Explained the situation. Gave them the Make, Model, and Plate number of the guy's car. Told them not to tow it. Not that night, not any other. Their operator wasn't sure I had the authority to do that. I gave her my full name and told her I was taking responsibility for the No Tow order on that vehicle.

Supervisor found out about what I did. But not the client. Supervisor looked the other way. I have no problem helping anyone who asks for help. But I'm nobody's daddy. I'm not responsible for anyone in this world except myself. A drunk who CHOSE to trespass is responsible for his actions. That doesn't change just because he happens to pull into the lot I work at. Plain and simple.
It's in the delivery. I'd put it something like, "I saw a suspicious car parked in my area it's not supposed to. I used my light and it appeared the guy was sleeping. Maybe drunk. I woke him up and informed him he's on private property and needs to park somewhere else."
That's a much better way to say it. Makes you sound like an intelligent and grounded person.
Thank you. But rest assured, I know how to do my job. And fully aware that it's far from a cool occupation. Every single trespasser I've kicked out, drunk or not, was done in a professional and polite manner. Only a couple of exceptions, both due to how the trespassers chose to behave. For example: Getting aggressive and acting tough. I re-state they are trespassing. Remind them it's a crime. And, tell them to get out. But again, only came to that on a couple of occasions.
But all that said, ya. Next time call the cops instead if you suspect a drunk driver and he's trespassing.
Pps . Shining your light in turbo on someone's face just because they happen to be in your parking lot is a real **** move.
Again, thank you. But I have plenty of experience on how to properly do my job as a security guard. As for that last part, I already explained why I do that.

Obviously I've encountered and responded to your posts before on CPF. Always a pleasant encounter. I give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to chalk this up as an unfortunate misunderstanding between the two of us. A one-off. I hope you feel the same way. If not.... that's genuinely unfortunate.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Genuinely sorry you got that interpretation. I never once said anything along those lines. Nor do I act like a tough guy in front of those who trespass. Everyone I've kicked out was dealt with professionally. I shine my light into their car windows to determine what I'm dealing with. Practically all the cars in the neighborhood have tinted windows. How else am I supposed to see inside?

I need to determine if the vehicle is empty, if someone is sleeping, or perhaps passed out and needs medical attention. Which, 5 year ago; yeah that was the case. Or, if someone is in the middle of committing suicide and in far more desperate need of help. That's why I use my lights. And no, I'm not going to go into detail about that last one.

Wasn't bragging. That was your interpretation. I can't help that.

Irresponsible?.... Did I put a gun to his head and force him to drink until he became drunk off his backside? Did I then tell him to drive off or I'd gun him down? That would be a "No" to all of those questions. A young man, clearly above drinking age in America CHOSE to get wasted. CHOSE to get into his vehicle instead of calling a cab or an Uber. CHOSE to drive along the road being a danger to himself and others.

I'm now somehow responsible for this grown adult because he decided to pull into a Private parking lot where I work at before he passed out at the wheel? Yeah, no. I'm not his father. I'm not responsible for him nor for his actions. He CHOSE his actions. As a grown man, he's responsible for his actions. I'm not.

All the years I've worked there, I had one individual tell me honestly that he was too messed up to drive. Asked for my help. I called him a cab, made sure the driver knew where to take him. And assured him that his vehicle would not get towed away. Went inside, called up the tow company that has the contract with the client. Explained the situation. Gave them the Make, Model, and Plate number of the guy's car. Told them not to tow it. Not that night, not any other. Their operator wasn't sure I had the authority to do that. I gave her my full name and told her I was taking responsibility for the No Tow order on that vehicle.

Supervisor found out about what I did. But not the client. Supervisor looked the other way. I have no problem helping anyone who asks for help. But I'm nobody's daddy. I'm not responsible for anyone in this world except myself. A drunk who CHOSE to trespass is responsible for his actions. That doesn't change just because he happens to pull into the lot I work at. Plain and simple.

Thank you. But rest assured, I know how to do my job. And fully aware that it's far from a cool occupation. Every single trespasser I've kicked out, drunk or not, was done in a professional and polite manner. Only a couple of exceptions, both due to how the trespassers chose to behave. For example: Getting aggressive and acting tough. I re-state they are trespassing. Remind them it's a crime. And, tell them to get out. But again, only came to that on a couple of occasions.

Again, thank you. But I have plenty of experience on how to properly do my job as a security guard. As for that last part, I already explained why I do that.

Obviously I've encountered and responded to your posts before on CPF. Always a pleasant encounter. I give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to chalk this up as an unfortunate misunderstanding between the two of us. A one-off. I hope you feel the same way. If not.... that's genuinely unfortunate.
No problem. Sorry for the trouble and misunderstanding

letschat7

Suspended
I have more of an issue with Mono and his usage of Feit than him acting like a ****.

His typical day at work: I used my Harbour Freight free showerhead light to illuminate the entire parkinglot with one click of a button. Then I spotted some 7th graders that joyrided to my parkinglot in a Ford Econovan. I went over and pulled out my back up Cloud Defence tactical light and illuminated their strip poker game in the back of the van. Ten minutes later I told them to leave. I then went back to my security shack and spent my life savings on a Surefire tactical light on Ebay that will be a shelf queen. Then he thinks to himself man if I only got a job at 7-11 I could use a UV Malkoff to find counterfeit money.

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
I have more of an issue with Mono and his usage of Feit than him acting like a ****.

His typical day at work: I used my Harbour Freight free showerhead light to illuminate the entire parkinglot with one click of a button. Then I spotted some 7th graders that joyrided to my parkinglot in a Ford Econovan. I went over and pulled out my back up Cloud Defence tactical light and illuminated their strip poker game in the back of the van. Ten minutes later I told them to leave. I then went back to my security shack and spent my life savings on a Surefire tactical light on Ebay that will be a shelf queen. Then he thinks to himself man if I only got a job at 7-11 I could use a UV Malkoff to find counterfeit money.
Bruh, start a dm if you've got an issue with him. The thread's getting off topic.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm trying to be put this nicely here, as I truly have no disrespect for security guards. It's a job like any other. Better than being a cop. But security guards aren't cool. It just isn't.
The way this post, and some others you've put out, comes across as a guy who really thinks he's tough with his light and his uniform. "I blinded that guy good to show him who the real man is". As the kids say, that's just cringey AF. Bragging like that. Not to mention making a drunk drive off is quite irresponsible. It's in the delivery. I'd put it something like, "I saw a suspicious car parked in my area it's not supposed to. I used my light and it appeared the guy was sleeping. Maybe drunk. I woke him up and informed him he's on private property and needs to park somewhere else."
That's a much better way to say it. Makes you sound like an intelligent and grounded person.
But all that said, ya. Next time call the cops instead if you suspect a drunk driver and he's trespassing.
Pps . Shining your light in turbo on someone's face just because they happen to be in your parking lot is a real **** move.
Security guards serve an important purpose and use the tools at hand to their best advantage. I appreciate their presence and their work.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Security guards serve an important purpose and use the tools at hand to their best advantage. I appreciate their presence and their work.
I worked security in the latter 80's, it is low reward work, and totally necessary.

Only want to add that a person who parks illegally in an obvious spot likely wants to send a message that they are not looking to make trouble, or hiding out.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So last night I was tasked to go retrieve Kid from the work place, driving Kid's F150. As soon as I got to the end of the driveway and hit the turn signal, I knew there was a problem with the turn signal, because I had experienced that fast blinker clicking before. After I got to Kid's work place, I got out and turned the 4 ways on to check the turn signal lights. Yep, as expected, one of the lights was out. Advised Kid of situation on return to the truck. Kid said to drive to Autozone to get it fixed. Drove to Autozone as direct route as possible, using a rat run across town, with minimal turning required. Got to Autozone, and we advised the employee of situation. Employee came out and used cell phone for light. Employee went back in and got new bulb. While he was inside, I took out my Mini-Mag Pro+ and illuminated the bolts needing to be removed. Bulb was replaced, and we were back 10-8 and returned home. End of story. Sorry, no special prize for reading. Oh wait, here's a prize for reading clear through...

86e3c08168ec25e50a5b2c457a55d1b4-1 1_zpsege0hzbt.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
So last night I was tasked to go retrieve Kid from the work place, driving Kid's F150. As soon as I got to the end of the driveway and hit the turn signal, I knew there was a problem with the turn signal, because I had experienced that fast blinker clicking before. After I got to Kid's work place, I got out and turned the 4 ways on to check the turn signal lights. Yep, as expected, one of the lights was out. Advised Kid of situation on return to the truck. Kid said to drive to Autozone to get fixed. Drove to Autozone as direct route as possible, using a rat run across town, with minimal turning required. Got to Autozone, and we advised the employee of situation. Employee came out and used cell phone for light. Employee went back in and got new bulb. While he was inside, I took out my Mini-Mag Pro+ and illuminated the bolts needing to be removed. Bulb was replaced, and we were back 10-8 and returned home. End of story. Sorry, no special prize for reading. Oh wait, here's a prize for reading clear through...

View attachment 54276
Nice. And I haven't heard 10-8 in a long time. Somebody knows their 10 codes. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Only want to add that a person who parks illegally in an obvious spot likely wants to send a message that they are not looking to make trouble, or hiding out.
Honestly, after a decade of working in that neighborhood; it just means they're too lazy to try and hide their vehicle. Management used to not have a problem with such individuals as long as they didn't enter the central building itself. But then we started getting complaints from those authorized to park in the lots that their catalytic converters were missing.... Yeah, that changed everything.

Barsomn

Newly Enlightened
Lighting the no-go zone in my attic while putting down some temporary flooring. My wife liked me not falling through the ceiling

IMG_4877.jpeg

Last night I had a guy who needed to replace a headlamp in his car, a quick shot of light from my pocket carry and we saw what the retaining clips were caught on in the housing.

Last edited:

Wdr270

Newly Enlightened
Started out using my Surefire Stiletto pro while feeding the dogs. Ended up using a Sofirn Lantern to light the living room as my wife wrapped Christmas gifts. Our power was out due to a wreck during this Nor'easter. She was also using a new warm white Energizer headlamp I bought on a whim. I used a Zebralight HL600f to read a book until power was restored about an hour later.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The other day, noticed that the cover for the window lock feature on my car was missing. Just a tiny, white rectangular post sticking up. Bought my car brand new. It's a 2009 Mazda 6 V6 sSport trim. So yeah, getting on in age. I normally keep that feature turned off (button not pushed down). Used my Nitecore MH12S on medium setting to check inside my car. Found the button right away. Popped it back on. Then pushed it down into the "on" position. Don't have kids. When I do have other adults in the back, I can just switch it off so they can lower their windows if they'd like to.

Rather obvious what happened. Literally countless door slams/vibrations finally worked the button cover lose enough that another slam caused it to pop off completely! Now I just keep it in the on/lower position to make that harder from happening again.

letschat7

Suspended
I got off work early and used a Pila GL4 to check a generator charging a tractor and trailor for a friend.

When I got home I noticed that it was misty so a good as reason as any to play outside with lights. It wasn't that cold either which was nice.

No LEPs just a 90s mag and a Led Lenser TT.

I tried a P7R stainless, Lupine Betty, GL4 and the rest.

Attachments

• 3192FA37-B0BF-426A-8BE7-F8B877971095.jpeg
    3192FA37-B0BF-426A-8BE7-F8B877971095.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 5E57F944-2746-422E-96D3-A99891DCE032.jpeg
    5E57F944-2746-422E-96D3-A99891DCE032.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 34

Mickey Holmes

Newly Enlightened
Used my Acebeam L35 to let my dog out at 3:30 AM Sunday. Love the UI on that light. I used the moonlight mode to navigate the house and the 250ish lumen mode to spot my dog outside. I like having turbo ready to go no matter what other mode I am using.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Acebeam L35 to let my dog out at 3:30 AM Sunday. Love the UI on that light. I used the moonlight mode to navigate the house and the 250ish lumen mode to spot my dog outside. I like having turbo ready to go no matter what other mode I am using.
3:30 AM?! You have almost killed my desire for a K9!