What did you use your flashlight for today?

Wdr270

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I used my Surefire EDC1-DFT to light the way to an island some friends and I were duck hunting behind on the ICW. It out performed or matched the Stanley Fatmax spotlights we've used for years. I also used a Fenix HP25r 2.0 to place decoys and anchor the boat. Between those two lights I can cover most situations I encounter on the water.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Dropped a sewing needle on the carpeted floor. My wife often goes barefoot so I used my Lumintop Tool AA to find it.
Some years ago a I was visiting a friend when his teenage daughter dropped a small needle on the carpet. While looking for it (in bare feet) she unknowingly flicked it up with her foot, and it entered a vein in the side of her ankle. (That's potentially lethal, FWIW)

She felt it go in, but then couldn't feel it and thought it had come out again. We quickly realised it wasn't back on the floor, and my friend, who happens to be a most excellent doctor, immediately took charge. He pinched one of the main veins in the area to reduce blood flow, and we picked her up and put her on the kitchen table, and he called out "light, scalpel" to one of his other children. I can't recal if it was my maglight or someone else's light, but his son appeared seconds later with the kit bag, and in another few seconds my friend was feeling along the vein from the entry site. The needle had travelled around 50mm if I remember rightly, and there was quite a lot of blood as he cut it out. The needle kept trying to move further up her leg, so he had to make a couple of incisions, and withdraw it with a small set of forceps.

Quite the drama, and a bit of careful dressing and painkillers afterward, but it avoided a potentially lethal situation.

Another reminder that carrying good tools (incluing a good torch!) and knowing how to use them, can be very important indeed. (y)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Some years ago a I was visiting a friend when his teenage daughter dropped a small needle on the carpet. While looking for it (in bare feet) she unknowingly flicked it up with her foot, and it entered a vein in the side of her ankle. (That's potentially lethal, FWIW)

She felt it go in, but then couldn't feel it and thought it had come out again. We quickly realised it wasn't back on the floor, and my friend, who happens to be a most excellent doctor, immediately took charge. He pinched one of the main veins in the area to reduce blood flow, and we picked her up and put her on the kitchen table, and he called out "light, scalpel" to one of his other children. I can't recal if it was my maglight or someone else's light, but his son appeared seconds later with the kit bag, and in another few seconds my friend was feeling along the vein from the entry site. The needle had travelled around 50mm if I remember rightly, and there was quite a lot of blood as he cut it out. The needle kept trying to move further up her leg, so he had to make a couple of incisions, and withdraw it with a small set of forceps.

Quite the drama, and a bit of careful dressing and painkillers afterward, but it avoided a potentially lethal situation.

Another reminder that carrying good tools (incluing a good torch!) and knowing how to use them, can be very important indeed. (y)
Wow. 50mm is a lot of movement!

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Wow. 50mm is a lot of movement!
Tough read Fuzzy. Glad she made it.
Yeah, in the moment I knew it could be serious, but it was only talking afterwards with my friend, whose hands were shaking, that I realised just what a close thing it was. I had no idea that needles could even traverse veins without getting stuck. I haven't kept in very good touch with them, but I understand that she is happily married now.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grilled tonight in the SE PA cold. 28 degrees F.

KZ6xggu.jpg

anFXeho.jpg

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened

New fear unlocked. :faint:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

View attachment 55980

View attachment 55981
Outside grillers (my son included) must be some of the nuttiest people alive. They have a perfectly good stove/oven in a climate controlled room, but they choose to go all pre-historic caveman and cook outside in the seasonal weather. Okay, I've had my days of camping with the Boy Scouts, but I count that as different. Grillers live in another world. Spend hundreds of dollars on grills and stand outside in all kinds of weather to do what they could do inside in comfort...gotta be some kind of mental aberration there. My son does it, and I just shake my head. I just don't understand it.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I plugged the oil heater into an outlet where I had a lot going on. Popped the breaker and I had to wander out to the garage to stare at the 1950s era fuse panel to figure out which one went off. I used a (I know its surprising for even me to say) Protact HL-X with a factory 18650 battery in it.

ghostguy6

Enlightened

Somewhere on my old hard drive I have a picture of me standing waist deep in snow BBQ'ing while holding up a thermometer. It reads - 56*c (-63*C with wind chill) It was so cold I had to bring the propane tank inside for several hours to warm up before I could light the grill. I had to finish the steak inside on the stove because the tank froze faster than the steak could cook.