What did you use your flashlight for today?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, soon after I started. It was disappointing but at least I didn't get too sweaty since I planned on showering there before working that day and driving home would have taken way too much time.
That sucks. I would have been pissed but, at least you weren't too sweaty like you said. I'm glad my gyms owner is cool. And, I am glad I am always prepared with a light. Sometimes it pays to be a flashaholic:).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
TY

And oh yea. I think we got out by midnight. Only thing saving us was there were 2 side roads that bypassed that area the cops could redirect traffic to. The other good thing that came out of it. After that my boss would ALWAYS ask me first what the plan of action was. On EVERYTHING. :)

For 2 days the same contractor was digging a roadside ditch knowing water services were just below finished grade. Me being an inspector usually involves watching others work and making sure things are done correctly. But those 2 days I assisted an un-learn-ed laborer in the fine art of locating the lines with a shovel but being positioned where the operator cannot dig because I'm blocking him.

Tonight I provided light to a fellow tightening bolts for a 12" water main being tied to a 16" main. I had my PK PR-1 on low in my right hand. Being near traffic I had a Mag ML50 on strobe with a traffic wand in my left hand to ensure motorists in 5 pm traffic slowed down as they passed by.

IMG_20171206_214907.jpg

Photo taken before a flashlight was needed.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Well, nothing so far today. But my Nitecore HC90 headlamp came in handy yesterday evening when I was trying to traverse the rather slippery front yard [(snow + sun) + cold = a layer of ice].
...After having turned off all three exteriour lights on the house as I wanted to test the new reversing lights I had fitted on my '08 VW Caddy.

They turned out very well!

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuFMZD__7mN2iGb6G5rSp-elcT99
The light on the upper right is one of the old extra lights I had fitted (bunch of China 5 mm LEDs). The upper-left is the upgrade.
Picture taken from ~8 meters away. Camera on automatic white-balance.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuFMZD__7mN2iGWLuxerKtK0g1SC
Both light upgrades fitted. All illumination are from the reversing lights only. The edge of the road down to the left is about 40 meters away. So decent throw too.

I asked at the local garage today whether so much light when reversing is legal. His response:

"...I have no idea." [sic]

:whistle:

Lights installed are:
2x Odin Lights P21W 28W LED (direct swap with standard reversing bulb).
2x Odin Lights TX 20W.

4280 Lumen output total.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, I need something like that on the truck. can't see a damn thing reversing in the dark. Normally I point a Hound Dog out of the window, that's a much better solution.
Legal? Probably not.
P

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Legal? Probably not.

Great! Just what I wanted then. :devil:

I swapped the front and rear indicator lights too.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuFMZD__7mN2iGexQBRmxX5aes7l
Image is an extract of the video recording I did, hence the quality is rather "meh".

Upgrade on the left, factory on the right.

...Now that I think about it, I haven't yet taken a look at the brightness from a distance in daylight (...in as much "light" as there is during daytime in a Norwegian winter). Or in the dark for that matter.

And best of all, just to point it out: No CAN-BUS errors anywhere (the part that worried me the most - after blowing a fuse or the battery exploding).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night I played lego with my SureFires and a pile of VitalGear stuff that arrived at my house unannounced.

IMG_20171207_184925.jpg

3 complete VG's and some parts.

Well it started out that my first Tana drop-in had arrived. It came programmed lo/hi but I wanted hi/lo. After cycling a bit using the mode change process for a bit, my dogs were erupting at the front door. What-thuh? The UPS guy was dropping off an unexpected delivery. Thinking it was for Mrs. Fixer I noticed my name on the package. And it was from Asia. "What could this be?" went through my mind. Everything was wrapped tightly in bubble wrap, so it took some time to reveal a little at a time a bunch of lego stuff from PK himself. What-a-treat!!!

Little by little a bunch of lego combos were assembled then it was back to the Tana. With that I settled on a 4 setting mode with memory. I now have an E2D that starts on about 25 lumens. Yessssssss!
Beam shots, scouring my backyard on each setting, just gawking at the accumulation of bright lights in small packages, and sitting back in an easy chair contemplating the potential legos upcoming....

Still excited at 4am I found myself meandering through the house using the white LED's of an A2.

C'moooooon sundown...

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 2 days the same contractor was digging a roadside ditch knowing water services were just below finished grade. Me being an inspector usually involves watching others work and making sure things are done correctly. But those 2 days I assisted an un-learn-ed laborer in the fine art of locating the lines with a shovel but being positioned where the operator cannot dig because I'm blocking him.

Tonight I provided light to a fellow tightening bolts for a 12" water main being tied to a 16" main. I had my PK PR-1 on low in my right hand. Being near traffic I had a Mag ML50 on strobe with a traffic wand in my left hand to ensure motorists in 5 pm traffic slowed down as they passed by.

IMG_20171206_214907.jpg

Photo taken before a flashlight was needed.

Don't you require trench walls to prevent engulfment?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The guy is sitting on the pipe about 4 feet deep. Optical illusion makes it look deeper. About mid-way to the right is the tip end of a blunted screwdriver setting on the top that he used to poke a gasket into place.

To answer the question... yes we do.
Edit: unless the trench is deemed to be in solid rock. A device is used to apply sudden pressure to a trench wall and a reading on a dial based on the resistance the probe faced when impacting the wall indicates yay or nay.
End edit.

Last edited:

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
Ended up felling about a 85ft elm tree this afternoon so the well company could finally get their truck in to dig the well. Got started about 1:30 and ended up working on it until about 7 this evening. Needless to say by the end of it I was working by the light of my old PD35 work light shoved between two branches. The beam on the D1VN was a bit to narrow for the task haha and still waiting on a couple D1 quads to arrive to fill in for the PD35 tasks. The D1VN worked great for keeping an eye on a couple widow makers in the surrounding trees though. Almost 6 hours of work and 2 18650's later the job was done and all got the area cleaned. I'll post a pic of the scene with daylight still present and a pic of the scene as I was finishing up this evening.

d2101cc2e3a72030a027c0e5d47835e0.jpg
9955def8eb43f8a37181555ac568d306.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was changing a filter for a neighbors central air unit, in a dimly lit boiler room. started with my Okluma DC1, but changed over to hands free zebralight H600fc.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sc53c and Ti3 have been getting used nightly for dog walks and normal around the house stuff. The 0.01 super low on the Zebra is awesome. Use it a ton. I must've been a jewel thief in a former life. Love the low lows.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yesterday at my work I gave a fellow inspector a FourSevens Knight. Well that was like giving a monkey a machine gun, but entertainment was worth it. Being a non flashaholic who finds zoomies complicated, when he was figuring out the high/low twist/push action and how to swap the smooth vs battle bezel... awe man I felt bad for the guy sitting in the truck next to him as he kept accidently zapping the guys retinas...lol... that guy was probably see-ing stars well into last night as he must've been "tazed" by the 450 cool white lumens at 3 feet away... oh I don't know... 20 times? lol. The passenger put on shades like the 3rd time but at that range only welding glasses woulda helped the poor guy. "STOP ****-in aiming the **** light at my ****-in eyes you moron!!, the guy says to the other guy as he zapped him again...

Then the other inspector says "what flashlight you got in your right jacket pocket, because I know you have at least one in every pocket". I pulled out my Tana'd E2D and said "a Croation SureFire"... he said "alright, left pocket". I pulled out my EB1c and said "bad guy blinder". The poor guy who was see-ing spots says "holy crap dude how many you got with you?" The other guy says "I told you, brutha man's got one in every pocket". Shortly after that the blinded guy was being zapped again by the Knight.

Neither had ever seen a CR123 battery before I gave that fellow the Knight.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bykfixer.......the Unapologetic Flashaholic. Lol
Yesterday at my work I gave a fellow inspector a FourSevens Knight. Well that was like giving a monkey a machine gun, but entertainment was worth it. Being a non flashaholic who finds zoomies complicated, when he was figuring out the high/low twist/push action and how to swap the smooth vs battle bezel... awe man I felt bad for the guy sitting in the truck next to him as he kept accidently zapping the guys retinas...lol... that guy was probably see-ing stars well into last night as he must've been "tazed" by the 450 cool white lumens at 3 feet away... oh I don't know... 20 times? lol. The passenger put on shades like the 3rd time but at that range only welding glasses woulda helped the poor guy. "STOP ****-in aiming the **** light at my ****-in eyes you moron!!, the guy says to the other guy as he zapped him again...

Then the other inspector says "what flashlight you got in your right jacket pocket, because I know you have at least one in every pocket". I pulled out my Tana'd E2D and said "a Croation SureFire"... he said "alright, left pocket". I pulled out my EB1c and said "bad guy blinder". The poor guy who was see-ing spots says "holy crap dude how many you got with you?" The other guy says "I told you, brutha man's got one in every pocket". Shortly after that the blinded guy was being zapped again by the Knight.

Neither had ever seen a CR123 battery before I gave that fellow the Knight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Friends fiance crashed her car the other day (she's fine, just embarrassed) so my friend and I decided to fix it. Sourced a new hood, radiator, crossmember, radiator core support and headlight from a junkyard. So today we put it all back together. Used a nebo workbrite 2 and my c2 with m61nll. Worked out great and made it possible to see in that poorly lit garage. Both got nice and dirty and the surefire picked a some more character marks which im happy about.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome mr fixer, i hate night shifts n stuff, but i want to work one with you...............not work too hard mind, just armed with PK and surefire kind of work:cool:

Some sprockets shot and making a racket which took out a chain. So the 6p with sportac triple 219b on 20% was used to flood a little light on the subject. 2 new 5ft rollers with twin sprockets in place, then new chain fitted. Not much room, by that, imagine trying to knit a jumper inside a tea towel holder........yep not much room. The 6p kind of looked like a burgundy 6p after, with contamination from the rusty worn chain/sprocket swarf. I would have got a pic, but did not want to ruin my phone! What a burger to clean as well.................that stuff sticks like **** to a blanket.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ven, you woulda got a kick out of this evenings use. I'm on a project that was supposed to be completed Nov 6th. The contractor is being charged an $1100 per day penalty for not being finished.
Long days are the norm lately. This evening there was some paving work that was still occuring after dark. The contractor had no lights on equipment so the roller could not see if he had rolled all of the wrinkles out...

Flashlight time again and of course those who know me saying "well?.... you gonna whip out a flashlight?"
My PK PR-1 has a cool beam. The cold temps with hot asphalt caused some steam issues... minor issue until a cool beam hit it. Then it glowed like crazy... hmmmm.
Aha! I had my E2D with the Tana 219B module...

Perfect!! Suddenly the little wrinkles that remained cast shadows and steam was nearly invisible. Before the E2D was acquired my Malkoff'd 6P with a WLL would've been used with good results. But I think the tint of the 219B had enough cool to appear brighter yet enough warm to cut through the steam like it was being blown away by a fan. So it served way better than my WLL probably would have.

My little flashlight came in handy at work yet again.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was called to a immobile persons house. Most of the lights were off, his wife was by the door urging us to go to the hospital already, his medications were in a different room and both of them didn't remember what he takes. His complaint was chronic pain for a few months and his vitals were stable, so out came my PK-PR1, I went and got the meds. Though this was in the afternoon, the house was darkened and very cluttered.