• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What Did You Use Your McGizmo For Today?

nbp

Flashaholic
The other night I walked out of the building at work to go to my car to get my supper, and a coworker was popping his hood. I asked if everything was ok, as I have a booster pack and other such helpful items in my trunk. He say's it's all fine, he had just forgotten to add oil earlier in the day and was doing it now on his break. Except as he popped the hood I realized he was going to have a problem as it's dark here at 4:30 and it was about 7:00. He acknowledged that this was going to be tough as he couldn't see anything. It took all of about 3 seconds for me to whip out my Mule and click it up to high and flood the whole engine bay in smooth beautiful XM-L goodness. He was like, HaHa, flashlight guy! I said yup, it might seem nerdy, but you'd be surprised how often people need a flashlight, and then I come in handy. He finished adding the oil and all was well. It was a good thing I walked out when I did or he'd have made quite a mess. :shakehead

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is funny how some people after seeing the importance and goodness of a flashlight when needed, would still continue to live in denial and not get one for themselves. I am not referring to your friend Nick. I was talking about some that I have met personally. They realized that they needed a flashlight there and then and I was there for the rescue. But that's it, no further action or thoughts of buying one for themselves.

nbp

Flashaholic
I agree Andy. And in the moment of need, any flashlight would be better than what they are carrying, which is nothing. I choose to illuminate stuff with McGizmos, but in reality a $12 E01 would do a good job for them, but they don't bother. (I happen to like E01s actually. Probably shouldn't say that in this subforum. I think we can only like Sapphires here, hehe).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. I really like the look of the Sapphire but couldn't bring myself to indulge in one. Maybe not when my neutral white SS Preon ReVO is still serving me well. But I am quite certain the Sapphire would be next should something happen to my ReVO.

nbp

Flashaholic
Where is everyone? I hope your McGizmos aren't all just sitting on shelves. :shakehead

My McGizmos have been getting a lot of use lately. Last week they were on vacation with me in Scottsdale, AZ. We were at the Barrett Jackson and Russo-Steele collector car auctions two days. My dad collects Mopars so he had to ask me multiple times for a flashlight so he could look under cars, in engine compartments, at hard-to-read fender tags and the like. So my Haiku got a fair amount of use at the shows. Also, at a dimly lit restaurant my mom complained that she couldn't read the menu and asked me for a flashlight. The Mule on low was a perfect light for this sort of task. The only problem was that she kept tipping it backwards and the light is so floody it would shine in my eyes. I had to tell her to hold it vertically so it just flooded the table.

At work they get a fair amount of use too, from fun things like lighting up the office with the Mule so I don't have to turn the lights on, to using the Haiku to inspect the inside of large tanks and steel totes in the plant.

These are definitely not shelf queens and they are getting the character marks to prove it. And I am totally ok with that. :) While there is nothing inherently wrong with collecting Queens, I like to think Don is most proud to hear of his creations being put to work and used as he designed them to be. :thumbsup:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got called out for a faulty defect detector. I'm waiting for the truck to warm and the coffee to brew and once I get there my Haiku will get plenty of use until day-break no doubt. I really hate maintaining hot bearing detectors!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good timing that you posted. Today I just returned from a short trip to an island in Indonesia. We were doing some barbecuing so my friend and I volunteered to do the barbecuing for 16 other guys. My friend was complaining that he could not see the food clearly to determine if they are cooked so I whipped out my high CRI Haiku and turned it on. He was immediately surprised by the color rendition this light can bring. During his days in the Special Operations Force, he had the impression that incandescent lights are warm and LEDs are cool, and he has never seen an LED light that produces a neutral tint so pleasing on the eyes. I was of course proud to introduce the high CRI Haiku to him. The entire light was coated with cooking oil, butter, seasoning and whatever sauce one use for cooking.

Later on one of my friend who was fishing came to me asking for a light and I passed him the Haiku. He needed it to shine right through the waters to see if there are any fishes swimming near the surface. I passed the Haiku to him and he had it for almost the rest of the night. I then recall that I have a high CRI Surefire Minimus Vision headlamp in my 3 day pack and ended up using my Minimus Vision for the barbecuing. I must say that I am pretty glad that I was and is still a flashaholic. The night was made more interesting because of both high CRI Haiku and the Minimus Vision.

chaoss

Enlightened
Great story pjandyho.
I used my Hi CRI Haiku for weekly coffee roaster safety inspection and later, utilized the Mule at home to check out the progress on my wifes mini vegetable garden.

nbp

Flashaholic
Fixing trains, cooking meat, inspecting machinery....is there anything a Haiku CAN'T do?

nbp

Flashaholic
Was hanging out watching a movie with three chicks (yeah, I'm that smooth) tonight and used my T on low to illuminate the area to make TV adjustments. I didn't even bother trying to tell them about the T or Haiku in my pocket. When I find the girl that thinks the fact that I have $1250 worth of flashlights in my pocket is cool and not weird, I will be asking her out.

On a related note, one thing I LOVE about the T is the fact that you get Don's amazing clip, but the spot under the clip is basically flat and smooth and it slides on my pocket WAY easier than the Haiku, which has the C-Pak's raised bump there. I assume the PD version is the same. I wish the price to play wasn't so high but I am really thinking I need a PD soon. Shine's PD in the BST is really tempting. :crazy:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my Haiku while I was in Maui in 2010. Well I am back on the island and the haiku is with me. Used it fr a night walk on the beach and mood light in the hotel.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Launch Mini literally meant mood lighting. That's what I do at times with my HCRI Haiku. Turn it on low or medium output and leave it tail standing close to the wall so you see a streak of light running up the wall. It adds mood to the ambience.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story pjandyho.
I used my Hi CRI Haiku for weekly coffee roaster safety inspection and later, utilized the Mule at home to check out the progress on my wifes mini vegetable garden.

Exactly. Softer than the hotel lights.

fyrstormer

Banned
There's something I never thought of. I was actually asking about what kind of mood would be enhanced by cool-white LED lighting, but maybe I don't want to know.

nbp

Flashaholic
jamesmtl514 said:
Bowchickawawow.

I used my Mule to light up a floating ceiling. And strobe a friend..

You mean flash them? :crackup:

Mood lighting.... :naughty:

scout24

Flashaholic
Sent this pic via text to a fellow member about a week ago, with the following narrative: " Titanium, rust, fire, and penetrating oil... Frozen brake line, 2000 Cherokee. Haiku XPG starting to show two years EDC, but still looks great. Still the best!" 'Nuff said. :)

20120215150056-1.jpg