What do you keep next to your bed?

Dubois

Enlightened
I have a ZL SC600W on my bedside table. I have the low set on very low, and find it great for middle of the night roaming, without upsetting wife and dogs - unless I'm too sleepy and don't hold the switch down for long enough. That generally wakes up a few of us.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AAX tactical set on 0.3 and 3 lms. I find 0.3 to be kinda painful when I wake up and 3 to be searing.

Climb14er

Enlightened
I survived a home invasion and do not want to have a repeat.

In addition to my 2K dollar alarm system, I have a Sig P220 .45ACP loaded with Speer Gold Dot 230gr. JHP with spare mag AND an Olight M-30 Triton 700 lumen light filled with two 2900- 18650 AW cells on the night-stand right next to my bed.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now there's a TK60, TK40, Quark 123 Tactical, Quark AA2 Regular (neutral), 3D Maglite with Malkoff XP-G dropin, Malkoff MD2, LD20, E21, EO5, EO1 and an Electrolumens Decree XP-G.

All are within arms reach while lying in bed.

Due to a recent purchase, there's also now an LD40, PD32, E11 and a Terralux Lightstar 80.

Been eyeing off the new E50, but just not sure yet. Will wait for some reviews.

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Well if you get the drop on a home invader.

Handcuffs to restrain him till the cops arrive.

Noseplugs after the intruder soils himself.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well if you get the drop on a home invader.

Handcuffs to restrain him till the cops arrive.

Bad idea. While you can get a decent set of cuffs as a civilian, it takes proper instruction and training to use them the right way. You never seen a lone police officer holding his gun on a suspect and trying to cuff him with just one hand. There's a reason for that. You never want to close the distance on a potentially dangerous, experienced, criminal. While you're using one hand to try to cuff him, your concentration is on that task. It's not on your gun. Experienced criminals know that. They might let you get one wrist cuffed. But as soon as they hear that ratcheting sound, they could easily turn on you. Average homeowner struggling with a career criminal who has trained himself in firearms disarms and other tactics? Not good. Or, he just goes for his own gun instead.

If you're able to get the drop on an armed home invader, always keep your distance. Keep your weapon pointed on him. If he raises his hands, keep a constant eye on him, call the cops, let them know you're armed and who you are (homeowner), keep your distance, wait for the police to arrive. Let them cuff him.

djdawg

Enlightened
As long as he,s in my house and I think Iam gonna have trouble , I,d just shoot him.
Maybe just in the knee cap , so he cant move around too good ....LOL
When he gets out of jail , he,ll be walkin with a cane.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Oops sorry norm, Lets try thumb nails...

Spent some time with a soldering iron and finally got my tube amp up and running again.

Last edited:

Captainbeaky

Newly Enlightened
I think that there is only one flashlight that you should keep by your bedside...

The 6-D Cell Maglite.

(In the UK - we do not have the right to protect our property - so having anything that can be classified as an offensive weapon is not a good idea. - but a flashlight is a flashlight... not an offensive weapon... )

It's tough, bright and extremely long and heavy...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom
Just tell them to put them on themselves. They will know how.
here in Georgia the criminals fear the homeowner.

Good to know. Still, I'm not trusting a career criminal to actually restrict himself that way.

Last edited:

johnrock

Newly Enlightened
By the bed side, closer then you think is a HDS EDC 170 tactical light and a Glock 17, love the HDS light not to much light so no real worry with wash out on walls. Next would be the Rem 870 W/ surefire 618LM forend. Its all about "layer's" of OPSEC.

cplow78

Newly Enlightened
i know they dont get much love here but i always have a rechargable streamlight strion C4LED.

slystad810

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD31. It has a great low mode that doesn't blind me in the middle of the night. I will soon be upgrading to a Solarforce L2P/nailbender 4000k XP-G2 with moonlight mode.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad idea. While you can get a decent set of cuffs as a civilian, it takes proper instruction and training to use them the right way. You never seen a lone police officer holding his gun on a suspect and trying to cuff him with just one hand. There's a reason for that. You never want to close the distance on a potentially dangerous, experienced, criminal. While you're using one hand to try to cuff him, your concentration is on that task. It's not on your gun. Experienced criminals know that. They might let you get one wrist cuffed. But as soon as they hear that ratcheting sound, they could easily turn on you. Average homeowner struggling with a career criminal who has trained himself in firearms disarms and other tactics? Not good. Or, he just goes for his own gun instead.

If you're able to get the drop on an armed home invader, always keep your distance. Keep your weapon pointed on him. If he raises his hands, keep a constant eye on him, call the cops, let them know you're armed and who you are (homeowner), keep your distance, wait for the police to arrive. Let them cuff him.

Actually the problem is not so much that the criminal is trained, it's more that you are simply dealing with a bad person(s), they're for the most part violent and act completely different from the majority of society. If you put yourself in a position where they think they can get the advantage back, like closing your distance to handcuff them, they will probably seize the opportunity, and grappling over your own weapon with some thug is a situation that can cost you your life. This happened to family friend, awful situation. Your survival trumps the apprehension of the criminal.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thxs, btw I didn't mean to throw off the thread. Had a HDS but that's back for repair/replacement, currently have a old mag-light 3C and a MD2 within reach.