What do you think the best folding knife

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the little opinel no 6 or 8 in either carbon or stainless. Super thin sharp blade. I use knives for cutting things, not splitting wood or carving bricks so I don't like thick tough knives

Reactions: xxo

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all the gear I carry the knife actually gets used least. Apart from opening packaging I only use it to sharpen short wooden sticks for cleaning clock movements and sometimes for cutting paper. A slipjoint is fine for that and legal to carry in DE. I really like the Lionsteel thrill its an insane knife. I mean, a titanium integral slipjoint in M390 on bearings with a retractable pocket clip! And all that for under 200€ made in italy. They even put a hardened steel insert in the back spring so the blade wont wear-down the Titanium (kinda like a lock-bar insert). The clip glides in a factory greased bronze bearing. Rounded spine, intricate milling. Only downside is no finger choil (for protection from accidental closing) and no one-handed opening option.

Nothing else like it, just 100% on execution, even compared to say CRK. If you like a modern slipjoint its THE knife to get!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all the gear I carry the knife actually gets used least. Apart from opening packaging I only use it to sharpen short wooden sticks for cleaning clock movements and sometimes for cutting paper. A slipjoint is fine for that and legal to carry in DE. I really like the Lionsteel thrill its an insane knife. I mean, a titanium integral slipjoint in M390 on bearings with a retractable pocket clip! And all that for under 200€ made in italy. They even put a hardened steel insert in the back spring so the blade wont wear-down the Titanium (kinda like a lock-bar insert). The clip glides in a factory greased bronze bearing. Rounded spine, intricate milling. Only downside is no finger choil (for protection from accidental closing) and no one-handed opening option.

Nothing else like it, just 100% on execution, even compared to say CRK. If you like a modern slipjoint its THE knife to get!
That thing sounds awesome!

slickwatts

Newly Enlightened
Folder - Strider SNG or SMF
Fixed - Carothers EDC2 (I've carried this knife every day for a number of years)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No such thing as "best", but the Delica 4 ruined other folders for me. Sold off the customs, large and small Sebenzas, Benchmades(though I wouldn't mind having my blue 940s and 940Ti back), other Spydercos, everything.
Crappy pic, but it's good as new after however many years. I originally bought the FFG green micarta version when it first came out, then a black FRN one that disappeared from my work bag, and was immediately replaced with the FFG gray FRN.
Since I don't have a lot of heavy knife use any more, the Delica is an ideal EDC.
Just disassembled and cleaned it for the first time in quite a while today. With some metal polish and elbow grease, even what I thought was permanent discoloration of the blade came out.
View attachment 15437

I like the Paramilitary, too, and am thinking about a PM2. When the original PM came out, I griped about the tip-down only clip(which I came to prefer), and used a Dremel tool to reshape the scales. Also ground that needle tip at an angle so it'd be more robust.
Posted that stuff on Bladeforums and/or Spyderco's forum back then. Who knew Spyderco would make my PM with the recontoured handles and a 4 way clip(PM2), and give the Delica and Endura my tip treatment?!? Always thought that was pretty cool.

My original PM had more lockbar movement/wear than I wanted, and got torture tested, which left me well impressed with the knife as a whole and the reliability of the lock, so the PM2 is an almost automatic choice for me if I do decide to get something more robust than the Delica.
Kinda liking that brown one with S35VN...
The FFG Delicas/Enduras are great knives, though I prefer the FRN Stretch and Calypso JR as they fit my hands a little better. I also like the serrated Atlantic Salt....it's hard to beat the FRN Spydercos for value and utility.

Geodie84

Newly Enlightened
I am collecting various folding knife. Can you recommend some good knives. Thank you.👋👋👋👋👋👋
Depends on your budget the high end Japanese knives over 1000 dollars are one of the best, but for the money the Sanrenmu of Allie Express are unbelievable for what you pay, check them out they have a shop on Allie.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I really like that Lion steel knife, especially the retractable clip.
Fortunately, for my wallet, it is not offered in a locking version.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Yea I wish they made a locking version of the Thrill. They make the ROK which is even crazier & has the same clip if you like the more "aggressive" tactical look.

I found the ROK. I really like it...it looks like the only negative comments I read about it were that the anodized titanium is a bit too slick/slippery. I haven't held one, so I can't personally conform it.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the ROK. I really like it...it looks like the only negative comments I read about it were that the anodized titanium is a bit too slick/slippery. I haven't held one, so I can't personally conform it.
Its quite slick yeah. On my thrill I havent found it to be a problem, its very comfortable. With the whole clip and integral thing, these knives are ergonomically more comparable to fixed blades then folding knives. remove the pocket clip from any folding knife & youll see just how much better it feels.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Chris Reeve Mnandi ( Carbon fiber version )

Small light modern 2 hand opening sub 3 inch doesn't scare children liberals or other idiots warrantied for life tough as nails and too small/expensive to have to worry about listening to the constant it needs this or doesn't do that super steel bearing flipper crap /rant

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am definitely not a knife guy and I have just one which was recommend to me - it's the Benchmade Bugout 535 and it's exactly what I was looking for. A very lightweight, thin and non-obtrusive knife made of quality S30V steel.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the constant it needs this or doesn't do that super steel bearing flipper crap /rant
I chased super steels for a couple of years, but the art of stropping taught me to appreciate more balanced steels. I also realized that I don't need supersonic deployment or drop shut action. No disrespect to the guys who value those things but they are no longer important to me. What's more practical for me is the ability to disassemble and maintain a knife without fighting thread locker, stripped screws and blade centering. For me, the best folder is the large Sebenza 21 or perhaps also the 31. Also, you can't beat a hollow grind.

Last edited:

MuGSiDe

Newly Enlightened
Kershaw Leek 1660. All black version. I also liked the Ontario Rat2 n the Spyderco Lady Bug was great for what I needed it for.

mpetry912

Newly Enlightened
I have a number of Allen Elishewitz folders. They are prolly too nice for EDC. Benchmade has licensed a number of Elishwitz designs.

folder_collMar19.jpg