what do you use all your flashlights for...

batmanacw

Enlightened
I do actually have a use for my lights that is not an average usage.

I work in the wood working industry. Years ago I started using a mini mag to look at the scratch pattern left in the wood after wide belt sanding. Laying the light low on the wood would silhouette the scratches and make them much easier to see.

This is when I realized how badly the mini mag sucked. I started trying different lights like surefires sinc their beam quality was so great, but they cost me a fortune in batteries.

Then I found my first LED. Can't even remember it. Probably a Brinkman or Coast and I never looked back. I have been a LED addict ever since.

I am world famous in my industry. Not just for my skill with machines, but for my cool lights! Its funny to see an italian or german tech at a show and they have to know what light I am carrying now.

strinq

Enlightened
- My pocket EDC for letting ladies think I'm happy to see them

:eek: :twothumbs

Let's see...i only have a measly 6 lights so:
1. Fenix PD30 : In the car with primaries
2. Fenix MC10 : Night running
3. Liteflux LF2XT : Keychain, EDC
4. Eagletac T100C2 : Primary night reading light (with homemade diffuser)
5. Eagletac T20C2: Awaiting camping and hiking trips and the occasional let's shine it at something far away...
6. Eagletac M2XC4 : Same as 5

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my first "quality" light about 20 years ago when I bought a brand new, still in sealed package, Mini-Maglite at the flea market for $5. I just wanted something for general use around the house. Later on I bought a belt holster for that Mini-Mag and used it as my EDC on my job. I set up a lot of CNC cutting tools and the light was handy when checking clearances between the parts and the cutting blades. It also came in handy when the maintenance guys needed a helping hand from me when one of the CNC tools went down.

I still use that Mini-Mag, now upgraded with a Terralux LED bulb and a tailcap clicky switch, and it's still my EDC in a belt holster. I use it for general around the house and automotive use. It's just handy to have some light right there by my side.

I use my Fenix TK40 for emergencies and travel. The power is *always* going out on my block so every winter storm season, I can bet on being without lights for several days. Of course, since I just bought my TK40 the power hasn't gone out, but that may change this weekend since a big storm is here as I type this. The Eneloops are all charged up and the TK40 is ready to go. As silly as it sounded when I was shopping for a new light, the TK40's ability to stand up on end and be used as a candle is one feature that I really like and will definitely make use of when the power goes out.

When I travel, in the past I've needed a flashlight for road side emergencies and that's why I don't leave on a trip without the TK40 in my backpack. I've also been in hotel rooms when the power went out and those places are really dark without a flashlight of some sort by your side. The TK40 is ideal in those emergency situations because it's fairly compact given how much light it puts out, can be used as a candle to light up a hotel room, and can use readily available AA batteries if necessary.

My 4 D cell Maglite with the Terralux drop-in is another general around the house light. At night my house is a minefield with the kids' toys spread out all over the place. Trying to go to the bathroom at night and navigate the hallway littered with toys while half asleep is next to impossible without a flashlight to at least get you to the light switch. I just use my 4 D cell Maglite in those situations.

I don't know what other things I'll be doing with future flashlights because Santa hasn't brought them yet! :)

Newly Enlightened
- Something to throw at intruders (no guns allowed in my country)

Geez, it hurts to read that, I can't imagine what it is like to live it.

My lights are used to brighten up dark areas, which is most often done with a D10 or EX10 as those are the lights I have on me most of the time.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fairly new here ( thanks to Ride:welcome:).
Primary use, is we have a cabin that has not electricity. So we all carry a flash light for everything after dark.
We do have propane lights, but this is in the centre of the main floor & doesn't work for playing cards etc at night.
Until now, we had cheapies, and really only had a Maglight for checking on stuff at night ( critters, boat still there during rough weather etc)
Now we each will have a higher end light.
I've begun carrying one in my pocket. Daily it might be for illuminating my walk from parking to my house, trips to the loo in the middle of the night, getting me down the stairs, across a dark room, and into my office, without turning & leaving on 8 lights for hours.
and for fun. Just lighting stuff up, cuz I can now.

KuKu427

Enlightened
I survived without EDCing a flashlight for years. But now that I carry one. I find more and more uses for it. Just about everything mentioned above. And for impressing the hell out of strangers. :naughty:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I survived without EDCing a flashlight for years. But now that I carry one. I find more and more uses for it. Just about everything mentioned above. And for impressing the hell out of strangers. :naughty:

I carry 5 EDC. I cannot survive with less!

bobo383

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P3D as an EDC light

Mag 3D Malkoff as a spotlight in the driver's door pocket of my truck

Home Depot Husky 2D LED as a backup spotter in the rear driver side door pocket of the truck

Mag 2D Terralux as a guest/loaner light in the passenger door pocket of the truck

12V Spotlight (little one that charges in the lighter plug) and an Advance Auto Parts 12V rechargeable (lighter plug again) in the back of the truck for the kids to use to read and color in the back seat at night, but they're really too bright. Looking for some dimmer lights for that. Any ideas?

Rayovac Sportsman 2AA 3W LED for a tool kit light on my Road King

Stanley Tripod LED for the wife to use cleaning out the pool skimmer

TaskForce 2C LED in the wife's Suburban

12V DeWalt tool battery flashlight with NiteIze 1W PR drop-in as a bedside table lamp - runs for a couple weeks on each battery charge, 2-6 hours per night

Redneck-Modded 2AA plastic flashlight with NiteIze 3-LED minimag drop-in glued into the head, kept by the big screen TV for changing DVDs in the dark without blinding everybody

One 6D mag because every man needs one - need to make it into an ROP

Countless other lights and gas/kerosene lanterns all over the place, just because.:grin2:

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh yeah...when i show them to my friends and tell them how much i paid for this one, that one, they go like this...:eek: and then they do this...:shakehead and when i let them play with em outside they do this...:bow:.
:crackup::crackup:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I used a zebralight to visualize the insides of an iPod touch as I replaced the LCD panel. The very iPod I'm *now* using to view CPF.

Phaselock

Newly Enlightened
One on my keychain for EDC. I use two on mountain hiking trips. I have one at home in case the light goes out, and have one in my car in case of emergency. I also have one I use at work.

Last edited:

ryan162

Banned
for abandoned mines and working on aircraft/deployment. all my maglights have been phased out to glovebox duty :)

enjoy the addiction lol. theres always one more light you'd like to have and the excuses youll come up with to talk yourself into it are always well thought out lol

jdb

Newly Enlightened
flashlight is a infallible way to see if the housework had been well done...

346a102abefbfc4635c2dbb54c815bc6080117e1.jpeg

but I would not recommend you to show that to your wife, or do it on your own responsibility...:hairpull::twak:

Tx Bass Tech

Newly Enlightened
I use my Ra Clicky to make sure the Band I work for can see their way to the stage and keep me from bumping into stuff while walking around backstage. I have used the strobe function to keep drunks from doing something stupid. It is also good for finding stuff on the tour bus while people are sleeping. I love the different power levels.