What I found on the shelf today in a major auto parts store

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I installed a set of the SYLVANIA ZEVO LED 4114C bulbs in my DRL. They work well

No, actually they don't; those dome-top bulbs are junk. They've almost certainly made your DRLs no longer compliant with the DRL performance requirements contained in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. You should have used these if you wanted to experiment with LED bulbs.

lespaul1021

Newly Enlightened
Yes those sylvania zevo leds with the dome top really do NOT work properly. The light pattern they produce will make whatever they are installed in non-compliant and unsafe. Moreover the ones I tried produce a great deal of E.M.I. and caused problems with the stereo and could potentially mess with other sensitive electronics on your vehicle like electronic stability control systems etc. You should get them out of your vehicle immediately.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't noticed any issues as of yet.

You will if you do photometric testing of the DRLs with that particular version of the Zevo LED. To the eye, it may look like they are functioning properly (they light up! they look bright!) but they won't have the same light distribution a DRL should have.

As far as EMI issues, that's slightly less likely with any Zevo revision compared to the other toy LEDs (like from Pilot or PIAA or other non-brands). The biggest issues will be photometric.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I haven't noticed any issues as of yet.

The issues are not something you can just "notice". Get those things out of there and put proper bulbs in. Your vehicle's exterior lights are life-safety equipment; they need to work correctly.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Their basic question ("Oh yeah?! Well then what about all those new cars that have HID or LED from the factory?!") got answered about five different correct ways by a bunch of different people, to zero apparent effect. It's not that they don't know what the heck they're talking about, though they don't, it's that they don't have any interest in learning. They've made up their mind and don't want to be confused with facts.

sadtimes

Enlightened
Their basic question ("Oh yeah?! Well then what about all those new cars that have HID or LED from the factory?!") got answered about five different correct ways by a bunch of different people, to zero apparent effect. It's not that they don't know what the heck they're talking about, though they don't, it's that they don't have any interest in learning. They've made up their mind and don't want to be confused with facts.

You are half correct, unwillingness to learn is a small part of the problem...Most people, even after the judge fines them 200 plus dollars and they are hit with 2 points, still, still! refuse to fix the lights. That isnt an unwillingness to learn, that is blatant disregard for the law, safety, and others.

Less than an hour ago I stopped a '04 GMC pickup, for speeding and that the headlights and fog lights resembled the light output of stadium lights. When questioned about his lights I received the following statements, "they are LED bulbs", "They are the factory housings, just LED bulbs, how is that illegal?", "Ive had these in for over 2 years", "Ive never been flashed", "How can they sell something that is illegal?"..... I literally have to field every statement and question you just read EVERY SINGLE time I stop someone, every. time. And some people I have to have this conversation with multiple times.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What fun. Can you confiscate illegal equipment? As in, remove the "LED bulbs" or the "HID kit" right on the roadside, place them right behind a tire and order the driver to back up slowly?

sadtimes

Enlightened
What fun. Can you confiscate illegal equipment? As in, remove the "LED bulbs" or the "HID kit" right on the roadside, place them right behind a tire and order the driver to back up slowly?

Here is the funny part, the illegal equipment is actually evidence, evidence that a violation or crime took place. So, technically it is part of the job to preserve the evidence so that it can be presented in court... so if we take the bulbs and tag them into evidence then the car no longer meets the requirements that it have (head, stop, turn, etc) lighting equipment to be driven on the roadways, guess we need to tow it, right? Now this is perfectly acceptable and in all reality is the way it should be done, every time. However since most people consider vehicle light violations to be "petty", it almost never rises to this level. But it can, and it has, there is at least one guy who watched me uninstall the HID kits from his car while he sat in the back of my car waiting to go to jail... and then I tell the tow service not to release the vehicle until it has new headlights, so yes, it can and has happened, although not as often as it should. Now if it became a problem that my observation of the lights was not good enough in the court, and we started losing cases over not physically having the evidence to present to the court, then yes, we will take a lot more bulbs out of cars, and tow a lot more cars.

Think of it like this, you cant drive without plates/tags on your car and you cant drive without insurance on your car, if you get caught without either of these your car gets towed. Make sense?

And if you shoot and kill someone the police are going to take the gun and store it until time for your murder trial, the gun and the lights play the same role, they are evidence.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
Less than an hour ago I stopped a '04 GMC pickup, for speeding and that the headlights and fog lights resembled the light output of stadium lights. When questioned about his lights

Did you ask him 'Do your illegal lighting modifications help you speed more safely at night?'

I literally have to field every statement and question you just read EVERY SINGLE time I stop someone, every. time.

I'm not in your neck of the woods, but I'd like to thank you for trying to make a difference. I wish local law enforcement here would do the same, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Here is the funny part, the illegal equipment is actually evidence, evidence that a violation or crime took place. So, technically it is part of the job to preserve the evidence so that it can be presented in court.

Oh yeah. Good point.

so if we take the bulbs and tag them into evidence then the car no longer meets the requirements that it have (head, stop, turn, etc) lighting equipment to be driven on the roadways, guess we need to tow it, right?

That's pretty much the point I was getting at. Unless the guy has correct/legal lights in his glove compartment or trunk, or there happens to be an auto parts store across the street, the car isn't equipped as required by law and therefore isn't roadworthy ----> tow.

Now if it became a problem that my observation of the lights was not good enough in the court, and we started losing cases over not physically having the evidence to present to the court, then yes, we will take a lot more bulbs out of cars, and tow a lot more cars.

I hope that happens.

jaycee88 said:
thank you for trying to make a difference

Yeah!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...most people consider vehicle light violations to be "petty"...at least one guy who watched me uninstall the HID kits from his car while he sat in the back of my car waiting to go to jail... and then I tell the tow service not to release the vehicle until it has new headlights, so yes, it can and has happened, although not as often as it should.
It's only petty in the eyes of the inconsiderate users, but not petty at all when a car coming down the road has lights brighter than other cars high beams, and when you flash them you realize that those were their low beams.

I wish all offenders cars were immediately towed, bulbs destroyed by the officer and replaced by the offender.

Dangerous inconsideration towards others is not petty in the least bit. Wish there were more cops like you around and that the law would support your cause both in allowing you to do what is necessary, and the manufacturers and vendors of deliberately marketed illegal goods taken to court with an immediate cease and desist order.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"SAE" on the lens is not some kind of magical "get out of jail free" card.

sadtimes

Enlightened
"SAE" on the lens is not some kind of magical "get out of jail free" card.

Virgil can you please link to the thread that explains "self certification"... at least I think there was a thread about that...

I am happy and sad that this thread continues on... It is a love/hate relationship.. =-( I love the info being disseminated... but I hate that there is a reason for it (illegal/unsafe lights being sold)...

Last edited by a moderator:

sadtimes

Enlightened
Virgil can you please link to the thread that explains "self certification"... at least I think there was a thread about that...

Ah...found a little something..

DOT does not approve items of vehicle equipment. There's no such thing as "DOT approved". Under the US system, the manufacturer or importer of vehicle equipment certifies that the equipment complies with the regulations. The "DOT" mark on a headlamp signifies the maker's certification.

Last edited by a moderator: