What is the attraction of multiple-cell AA lights?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: What is the attraction of multiple-AA lights?

I'd say that standardization on one battery type for all the lights one uses is a very attractive option for some. Not for me. But I did standardize all the lights in my BOB to AA models.

braddy

Enlightened

I would feel pretty vulnerable if all I had was 18650 flashlights.

Even in the car, a high quality, single AA light gives me the options of buying additional batteries as used, or taking one out of a toy or my Walkman type radio, or asking another motorist for one, or using an adapter and the AAA out of my keychain light, or even robbing the solar garden lights.

I also keep a test voltage meter in my car that runs off of a single AA.

That option of being able to use the batteries from your, or anyone's garden solar lighting, (and to recharge them during the day) is pretty cool.

AA lights are also smaller and easier to clip onto a hat.

CurrentlyVacant

Newly Enlightened

Granted, I am a complete beginner in buying reasonable quality torches, but the attraction for me in a multi AA unit was inter-operability with other items.
My torch takes NiMh AA, my walking GPS takes NiMh AA, the battery lanterns in my tent take NiMh AA my camera takes NiMh AA, my kid's toys take NiMh AA, hell even the remotes for the TV and Cable box take them. If needed I can buy primaries pretty much 24/7/365 should the need arise.

For me the convenience of knowing that I only have to worry about a single battery type is key.

Yes, if I wanted the brightest torch with the longest runtime and smallest size, I would need to use a different powersource; some people do want those things and there are products for that market.

Comparing the two seems almost like trying to compare a sports car to a people carrier (minivan, I think is the American term:D), yes they are both modes of transport, but while the sports car will do the quarter mile quicker, you sometimes need to take the family + dog + camping gear with you!

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

My D40A will do 266 hrs on a 9V, which was about the only cell available in stores throughout the Hurricane Sandy outage.

Do you mean the 9v battery for the smoke detectors? Also, how did you come up with 266 hrs.? Thanks.

Last edited:

amanichen

Enlightened

I have (2) 1xAA lights, (2) 2xAA lights, and have a 4xAA light on the way. The 1xAA lights are EDC, 2xAA lights are all-purpose indoor/outdoor, and the 4xAA will be for throw outdoors and room lighting during power outages indoors. I prefer Eneloop AAs as a power source for a number of different reasons, and have standardized on them for many of the reasons already mentioned above. Because of this, going to a multiple AA light is generally the only way I can get higher output, longer throw, and more runtime.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

You make a darned good point. 18650's and a charger. Can't argue with good logic!

Reading the full thread i strongly disagree with the logic.18650 and a charger is great till it all goes belly up and then you are screwed.

Even in the car, a high quality, single AA light gives me the options of buying additional batteries as used, or taking one out of a toy or my Walkman type radio, or asking another motorist for one, or using an adapter and the AAA out of my keychain light, or even robbing the solar garden lights.

That option of being able to use the batteries from your, or anyone's garden solar lighting, (and to recharge them during the day) is pretty cool.

I feel better off with AA in being secure i can borrow them out of my radios,scanners clocks etc if urgently needed.

Granted, I am a complete beginner in buying reasonable quality torches, but the attraction for me in a multi AA unit was inter-operability with other items.
My torch takes NiMh AA, my walking GPS takes NiMh AA, the battery lanterns in my tent take NiMh AA my camera takes NiMh AA, my kid's toys take NiMh AA, hell even the remotes for the TV and Cable box take them. If needed I can buy primaries pretty much 24/7/365 should the need arise.

For me the convenience of knowing that I only have to worry about a single battery type is key.

Yes, if I wanted the brightest torch with the longest runtime and smallest size, I would need to use a different powersource; some people do want those things and there are products for that market.

Comparing the two seems almost like trying to compare a sports car to a people carrier (minivan, I think is the American term:D), yes they are both modes of transport, but while the sports car will do the quarter mile quicker, you sometimes need to take the family + dog + camping gear with you!

Well put.

I have (2) 1xAA lights, (2) 2xAA lights, and have a 4xAA light on the way. The 1xAA lights are EDC, 2xAA lights are all-purpose indoor/outdoor, and the 4xAA will be for throw outdoors and room lighting during power outages indoors. I prefer Eneloop AAs as a power source for a number of different reasons, and have standardized on them for many of the reasons already mentioned above. Because of this, going to a multiple AA light is generally the only way I can get higher output, longer throw, and more runtime.

Seems you prefer AA.

Dead Goat

Newly Enlightened

In the UK becoming much easier and National radio at present are advertising a 720 lumen lamp as a xmas gift.

:thumbsup: It's on my list. Just trying to convince the wife to buy it and put it in my stocking. She says "what do you need another man cave trinket for?" I respond "So you won't be buying any more shoes this year?", and she shoots me ....the look...

Poppy

Flashaholic
Re: What is the attraction of multiple Cell -AA lights?

" Originally Posted by davesc You make a darned good point. 18650's and a charger. Can't argue with good logic!"

Reading the full thread i strongly disagree with the logic.18650 and a charger is great till it all goes belly up and then you are screwed.

I feel better off with AA in being secure i can borrow them out of my radios,scanners clocks etc if urgently needed.

braddy, and mcnair55,
No one is arguing whether a single or dual cell AA light has value. If you read my post, I stated that I carry in my car a 18650 charger, AND a AA/AAA charger. I also carry AA and AAA lights.

The OP was referring to AA lights with multiple cells, 4 cells, 6 cells, or 8 cells. He was questioning... why buy them, instead of one or two celled 18650 lights?

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened

Poppy, I also see a discussion on AA batteries versus 18650s , not just 4+ battery flashlights.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are many reasons to take a 4AA light over a 1 18650 light, especially since you can get 700-800+ lumens in a 4AA light now.
1. Availability- You can go into any store and purchase AAs. They are in stores when you need them. They are in other devices when you need to snatch them as well.
2. Variety of uses- You can use alkalines for loan out lights or for backup batteries or emergencies. You can use rechargeables for everyday use. Eneloops get 1800 charges now with a 5 year shelf life, good cold weather performance, and proven improvements still to be soon available (2100 charge Eneloops, 5000 charge Eneloop lites). Lithium cells can be used for long term emergencies, very cold weather (AA and AAA lithiums are rated for colder temps than 123As), and backpacking trips.
3. Compatability with other devices- On a backpacking trip, I can run a flashlight, a headlight, a 4AA Steripen, a digital camera, a couple walkie talkies, and my Sierra Zip Stove all on AAs. Having to carry a light that only takes 18650s means carrying more weight and not being able to salvage batteries from other devices in an emergency.
4. Lower cost, ligher weight, and greater availability of solar charging options- With AAs, I can bring a 4 oz. Powerfilm solar charger backpacking to use for all my devices. For 18650s, I have to get one of the few special lights with a mini-USB charging option and take a larger solar charger that charges USB devices. Many of these lights have a proprietary battery that can't be changed out with a fresh one. For survival in the woods, emergencies, and power outages, the ability to charge the battery by alternative means is essential.

Disciple

Enlightened

Thank you all; I got more answers than I could have hoped for. I shall attempt to reply to as many posts as possible (with apologies if I seem to have overlooked yours) for anyone who wishes to continue the dialog.
First let me address this:

I don't understand the reason for your questions. If you want an 18650 light then get one.

It almost sounds like you don't want other people to have AA powered lights.

You don't know me, so let me explain this to you once ;) : If I ask a question it is because I am sincerely interested in the answer. Other than the obvious figure of speech I do not ask rhetorical or sarcastic questions. I do not "ask" a question as a veiled disparagement or insult. I knew in this case (AA) I must be missing something, and sure enough I was. Contrary to your supposition I expect to be receiving a D40A soon and I was hoping that you all could convince me of its value in using AA cells.

I'm a camper/traveler with a little prepper mixed in and gadgets that used proprietary batteries used to drive to me nuts with the need to pack/carry dedicated chargers and spare cells. I've consolidated all my portable camping/travel/emergency gadgets around Eneloops, pretty much since they were introduced in 2006. A single charger and set spares feeds everything and I have the deep back-ups options of cannibalizing between devices, or buying in any gas station. When I'm away from home, one of the primary functions of my flashlight is to be a battery container from which to cannibalize spare Eneloops (to charge my smartphone for example).

This is probably the big point that I was overlooking. (The elephant in the room, if you will.) For flashlights I de facto standardized on CR123A batteries when I got my first modern one and retired the MagLites. Further, I don't have any devices I can think of that run on AA batteries besides a couple of TV remotes and a wall clock. (It seems like everything is transitioning to battery packs if it has not done so already.) AA batteries may seem as common as salt to other people but I'll have to go out and buy eneloops and charger before I can use an AA flashlight.

Fundamentally AA powered lights open up the entire market as everyone knows and uses AA cells. The humble AA, though outperformed by li-ion, is easy to find, easy to use, cheap, familiar, versatile and safe. No need to invest in a new charger and battery type with AA lights.

Apparently I'm looking from the other side of the mirror because that's exactly what I'll have to do. (See above.)

Though I love the output of 18650 lights, I see them as a niche market with a dedicated user base.
Isn't all of CPF a niche market? That is why I was initially surprised at the popularity of AA power here, but I am learning.

When I travel, I will usually take an 18650 light, but will always have a couple of AA powered lights. Anywhere in the world I will be able to find AAs, in the pound/dollar shops and if necessary salvaged from a remote control.

This is the second big point I shall take from this. My envisioning did not include travel, at least besides travel by automobile. It should have, as I recently learned that people are having trouble sending lithium batteries by air mail because of restrictions. Not being able to take lithium batteries on a trip would be disasterious for a CR123A/18650-only light. I don't know the specifics of the restrictions but I must look into this.

Alternatively think of it like this - Your car runs on petrol/gas, but would be far more powerful if fueled with racing alcohol (90% nitromethane and 10% methanol). I can't understand why you would want to bother using gasoline when you can use racing alcohol.

If it were possible to carry all the fuel needed for every trip a strong case could be made for the racing fuel. I haven't bought flashlight batteries at the store in probably ten years. I can't see myself doing it in the future except perhaps in the case of travel as mentioned above.

I've always assumed it's a safety aspect more than anything, especially if CPF'ers have 'house flashlights' that are available for the family to use, so would prefer to go NiMh.

Li-Ions make some NASTY fumes when they are abused. My NiMHs that I've killed violently (Short circuit, overcharge, reverse charge, overheat) ooze a bit of goo that you don't want in your eyes. Once, I got one to spray its alkaline chemical around, but it only tarnished the inside of a flashlight.

I need someone to describe precisely the scenarios in which 4xAA would be safer than a single protected 18650. I can only think of fire (external, e.g. house fire), mechanical damage, and trickle charging. The last can be simply avoided by using a good charger. Are the first two enough to justify Ni-MH over Li-ion? I have yet to hear about an 18650 flashlight that turned pipe-bomb because someone dropped it down a flight of stairs; is this a realistic concern?

4xAA is easy to get and easy to understand. And AAs give you different shape options. Smaller, thinner, or fatter, without going to oddball lithium cells. And I feel better about AAs in series/parallel than Li-Ions in series/parallel.

How often does this practically result in a superior light? I naievely thought 4xAA would have greater capacity than 1x18650, but since that's not the case there doesn't seem to be much advantage from the shape department. The 18650 is some 18mm longer but otherwise half the size of a 4xAA cluster. As nice as the D40A looks it appears no more and arguably less convenient than many 1x18650 40MM-head flashlights. AA's can be laid out flat with a thickness of about 14.2mm compared to 18.5mm. Can you point to a case where this results in a superior form factor?

I see the AA hosts as an entry point to high end LED torches for most first purchasers. Then one gets power hungry and goes for the LI-Ion and then on to the 186500's. Yep it's pretty much a one way street to 4Sevens XM18 18,000 Lumen two handed daylight maker! Pass the jet fuel please.

That was my original perspective but I'm starting to understand why veteran users might (also) choose AA power.

I can't be bothered with the care and feeding of li-ion cells anymore. Seems like any time I go to use an 18650 light the battery is dead. Doubly-so when the power goes out and I have no way to charge them.
I don't understand this; any of it. Why would 18650 cells be flat? Why wouldn't you use a 12V charger or primary cells (CR123A) when the power is out?

When the snow's blowing and the power's out and I just need to see what the heck I'm doing, I'll take a Costco strip of Duracell's and a Peak El Cap over everything else in my stable.

Given the especially poor performance of alkaline batteries in cold weather I think I'd reach for just about anything else. Seriously, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but this doesn't make sense to me. You have owned a lot more lights than I have so I stand to learn something. Why would you choose this?

Well...if SHTF do you think you could round up some 18650 cells or AA's from the local drug store? Availability is important.
What would you do in a Katrina like situation with your dead odd celled light?

I find it hard to believe that anyone planning for a "Katrina" would plan on running to the store to scrap for batteries, or raiding remote controls and toys for that matter. If you are planning ahead lay in a supply! :ohgeez:

with some knowledge, one can harness electricity from solute rich liquids; and 'solute rich' liquids should be plentiful as long as you're alive :)
Pardon me if I'm reading this wrong, but did you just describe a urine-cell? :huh:

Lastly, I kinda like the fact that in a real pinch, a AA light can also run common household cells like AAAs and AAAAs (from a 9V) with just a piece of McGyver tinfoil. My D40A will do 266 hrs on a 9V, which was about the only cell available in stores throughout the Hurricane Sandy outage.

If we're getting into tinfoil MacGyvering you could run an 18650 light on 3xAAAA as well, or take the head off and run it on any 3-series source. (Stick it all in a Zip-Loc to keep the rain out!) I plan to avoid such dire measures with a stock of primary cells and a 12V charger.

IMO, the argument that AAs are available everywhere, is a nonsense argument. ...

If I am not at home, I have my car. In my car I have two chargers in the glove box, a cheap 18650 charger, that can also be used as a mobile power source (such as for charging a cell phone, or just to carry a spare battery), and a cheap 2*AA/AAA charger. A car battery can be considered an almost endless supply of energy for lighting purposes. I estimate that 10% car battery capacity will charge 20* 18650's, or 70* eneloops. At that point, there will be NO AA batteries available for sale.

If I am in some unseen scenario where I can walk into a gas station and BUY AA batteries, I'd have to assume that the station still has electricity ...

I see I'm not alone in failing to accept the advantage of AA "availability" in an emergency. I don't want to be part of the unprepared stampede clearing the shelves. (I thought people here generally shook their heads at those rushing out to buy a flashlight before a hurricane; why would needing to rush out to buy batteries before one be any smarter?) If I am not allowed to take a box of CR123A cells on an airplane then AA's clearly would be an advantage, but I'd still either bring my own supply or buy one after landing, before an emergency.

I specifically said multiple-AA lights because I already agreed that single AA lights have nice qualities.
If you are raiding your own toys etc. for batteries that seems like a failure to plan. In other scenarios car batteries seem like a far better source of power. I must say however I've never considered garden lights. :) What kind of cell do these usually contain?

My torch takes NiMh AA, my walking GPS takes NiMh AA, the battery lanterns in my tent take NiMh AA my camera takes NiMh AA ... For me the convenience of knowing that I only have to worry about a single battery type is key.

As acknowledged a common battery for all devices is a powerful incentive. I am apparently the oddball not owning AA devices. (Don't most cameras have Lithium Polymer packs now?)

No one is arguing whether a single or dual cell AA light has value. If you read my post, I stated that I carry in my car a 18650 charger, AND a AA/AAA charger. I also carry AA and AAA lights.

The OP was referring to AA lights with multiple cells, 4 cells, 6 cells, or 8 cells. He was questioning... why buy them, instead of one or two celled 18650 lights?

Thank you for comprehending the subtlety of my question. :)

Umm, did you not just recently order a D40Avn, a 4AA light?

Yes siree! :devil: (vn54 has a singular way of separating people from their money and leaving them happy.) I wanted CPF to tell me why I had made the right choice. :naughty:

Poppy, I also see a discussion on AA batteries versus 18650s , not just 4+ battery flashlights.

That is inevitable as I did ask for strengths of LSD-NiMH cells but I wanted to focus on high-power multi-AA lights.

(AA and AAA lithiums are rated for colder temps than 123As)
That is news to me. I thought the only types that topped CR123As were some Saft military cells.

3. Compatibility with other devices- On a backpacking trip, I can run a flashlight, a headlight, a 4AA Steripen, a digital camera, a couple walkie talkies, and my Sierra Zip Stove all on AAs. Having to carry a light that only takes 18650s means carrying more weight and not being able to salvage batteries from other devices in an emergency.

Thank you for yet another voice confirming the primary AA advantage in my mind. My camera takes a Li-Poly pack. A flashlight and headlight can be CR123A or 18650. I have image-stabilized binoculars that take a CR123A as well. However I don't have a Steripen or 2-way radios. Things to think about...

4. Lower cost, lighter weight, and greater availability of solar charging options- With AAs, I can bring a 4 oz. Powerfilm solar charger backpacking to use for all my devices. For 18650s, I have to get one of the few special lights with a mini-USB charging option and take a larger solar charger that charges USB devices. Many of these lights have a proprietary battery that can't be changed out with a fresh one. For survival in the woods, emergencies, and power outages, the ability to charge the battery by alternative means is essential.

More interesting things to consider. Assuming for a moment it were possible to get all 18650-powered devices, is there some reason these cells cannot be (easily) charged with solar power? Do the devices simply not exist? (Yet?)

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened

If you are raiding your own toys etc. for batteries that seem like a failure to plan. In other scenarios car batteries seem like a far better source of power. I must say however I've never considered garden lights. What kind of cell do these usually contain?

OHhhh, don't worry, I plan, but the more that something is free and scattered around for the taking, the better in a prepper situation, that is why I bought the 9 volt Pak-lite, because it is a basic part of the scavenging battery niche, redundacy.

Most of the garden lights take one or two rechargeable AAs, just as those batteries are interchangeable with your flashlight AAs, your alkaline batteries can power the solar lights.

Those cheap little single led solar lights that are pretty much useless in your garden, make nice little lights inside of your house during blackouts, with an alkaline in it.
Some of those lights can run for a few hundred hours on a fresh alkaline, and are super battery vampires.

I EDC two lights, one Fenix LD01 that uses an AAA battery, and a PD35 that uses a 18650, I do like the five year shelf life of eneloops, and the fact that they charge faster and easier than 18650s, and that if I needed to, I could raid a solar charger from countless yards in America.

Disciple

Enlightened

I do like the five year shelf life of eneloops, and the fact that they charge faster and easier than 18650s, and that if I needed to, I could raid a solar charger from countless yards in America.

It is also news to me that eneloops can charge faster. What is the recommended and maximum charge rate for eneloops?

I have to admit the free solar charger idea is kinda cool. How many hours of full sun would it take to charge an eneloop to 95% in one of these?

braddy

Enlightened

My eneloops charge faster than my 18650s, especially my AAAs, as far as the garden solar chargers, it would depend, but in a situation where you are using those, a full charge wouldn't be much of an issue.

You charge your battery during the day and use it at night, then finish it the next day if needed, I also keep lots of the AAA to AA adapters, which in effect, makes any AAA that falls into my hands, usable as a AA battery, and of course they would fit into the garden light as well.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think I understand the desirability of AA-cell lights.

The average person who wants a good light will buy something AA, AAA or D powered. They do not want to bother with the expense of li-ion cells and a specialised charger. Flashlight making companies cannot make just 18650 lights and stay in business (custom makers exempt).

Fenix makes about twice as many AAA, AA and D cell lights as they do CR123 and 18650 lights. They are just one of many manufacturers that know what sells, and at the moment the bulk of it is not lithium/li-ion based lights. And consider Fenix is not even widely known about compared to makers like Maglite, Energizer, Duracell, Dorcy etc.

I can go into any hardware store, super market, service station and buy a flashlight and AA batteries. There's only a handful of stores in my state (only two I can think of) that even know what an 18650 is, let alone sell a lot of them.

I love my 18650 lights, but if I had to choose between AA and li-ion, AA wins hands down.

greeny1

Newly Enlightened

I don't agree with your original assertion that 18650 are cheaper than AA Nimh. In the UK this certainly is not the case. A decent 18650 (3400 mah Eagetec) is £14 each in the UK. 4 AA eneloops can be bought for £7.99 (sometimes cheaper). Good quality 7dayshop staycharged AA can be had for as little as £3.99 for 4. In addition many people already have an AA charger, whereas a decent LiIon charger is £20+.

So I bought a LD41 for my sister last year and gave her a pack of 7dayshop AA's to go with it (she already has charger). To buy a 18650 light I would have added approx £30 to the cost!!

I agree for the ultimate in performance 18650 is the way to go, But the power available from AA lights is more that sufficient for 95% of typical uses. Most of the other AA advantages have been covered by other responses.

For a flashlight newbie I would definitely recommend AA over 18650s

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need someone to describe precisely the scenarios in which 4xAA would be safer than a single protected 18650. I can only think of fire (external, e.g. house fire), mechanical damage, and trickle charging. The last can be simply avoided by using a good charger. Are the first two enough to justify Ni-MH over Li-ion? I have yet to hear about an 18650 flashlight that turned pipe-bomb because someone dropped it down a flight of stairs; is this a realistic concern?

Not all battery fires are bad batteries, chargers, or abuse. But gladly accepting a new failure mode into my life (New ways to burn the house down) is something I want to go into with Both Eyes Open. Several posts in that subforum are things that should have gone right and didn't. The same high energy density in Li-Ion cells makes them more dangerous when something does go wrong. Many failure modes are common between NiMH and Li-Ion chemistries failing. More chemical energy (And worse fumes) makes the Li-Ion more troubling to me.

How often does this practically result in a superior light? I naievely thought 4xAA would have greater capacity than 1x18650, but since that's not the case there doesn't seem to be much advantage from the shape department. The 18650 is some 18mm longer but otherwise half the size of a 4xAA cluster. As nice as the D40A looks it appears no more and arguably less convenient than many 1x18650 40MM-head flashlights. AA's can be laid out flat with a thickness of about 14.2mm compared to 18.5mm. Can you point to a case where this results in a superior form factor?
The 18650 is much larger than a single AA. My L3 L10 gives me days of light or an hour of plenty of light on one AA. That's convenience and a superior form factor for small-pocket carry than even a bare 18650 cell. Demanding that all lights have the most possible available power has me asking, "Where is your generator in the Radio Flyer wagon?"

More interesting things to consider. Assuming for a moment it were possible to get all 18650-powered devices, is there some reason these cells cannot be (easily) charged with solar power? Do the devices simply not exist? (Yet?)

You can charge anything with solar power. But your solar charger needs a charge controller and a simple 'float' battery to keep it from resetting when a cloud passes overhead. I like AAs because I don't have any problems keeping 20 or 30 around the house in various places. My toddler won't damage things with them (Unless she pitches them at the cat) or damage the battery by using a flashlight. AAs allow small and big lights, and are common enough and unlikely to become unavailable after several more plane fires.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened

When I walk out of the house at night on the farm an 18650 is the way to go. But when I have to travel, (my job has me heading from state to state often) along the interstate system, I want AA lights in the car. I edc a 14500 light on these trips, and have a 4xAA PA-40 in the vehicle, along with a 8 pack of lithium energizers I could pack 18650's and charger but its so much easier to just run lithium AA's or 14500 and have the security of knowing that every gas station and supermarket along the route has AA's cheep if I ever run dry.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't agree with your original assertion that 18650 are cheaper than AA Nimh. In the UK this certainly is not the case. A decent 18650 (3400 mah Eagetec) is £14 each in the UK. 4 AA eneloops can be bought for £7.99 (sometimes cheaper). Good quality 7dayshop staycharged AA can be had for as little as £3.99 for 4. In addition many people already have an AA charger, whereas a decent LiIon charger is £20+.

So I bought a LD41 for my sister last year and gave her a pack of 7dayshop AA's to go with it (she already has charger). To buy a 18650 light I would have added approx £30 to the cost!!

I agree for the ultimate in performance 18650 is the way to go, But the power available from AA lights is more that sufficient for 95% of typical uses. Most of the other AA advantages have been covered by other responses.

For a flashlight newbie I would definitely recommend AA over 18650s

As a long time user of Eneloop type the 7day shop brand are not bad for the price but to be honest will not be buying anymore as i find the brand Instants far better. Maplins have a very good deal at the moment with an 18650 light with 2 batteries and mains /car charger for £29.99