What is the least important/most disliked feature for you in flashlights?

BobGarrett

Newly Enlightened
I share the dislikes many have mentioned like strobes in particular. But I think I'd say proprietary batteries that can't be removed and recharged in a standard li ion charger. Battery technology has advanced so far, just use the same battery format the rest of the world does without packaging it in a way that prevents easy replacement and recharging.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Have you considered putting the magnetized key cards in protective sheaths? I do that with my frequently carried credit cards. It helps protect them from RFID scanning, plus minimized scratching. They're paper thin sleeves with a foil coating inside.

Yes, I have, and I do, but that does not necessarily protect them adequately, and one is also my work ID card, which has to be shown to a guard and visible on me all day, so encasing it in a protective sleeve is awkward.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Its funny, I would have said strobe is my number one disliked feature or unnecessary feature. I was glad none of my flashlights had it. Then not long ago I had search and rescue training and we worked with helicopter pilots from the national guard and they said the best way to alert them to our location at night is strobe. They apparently use this on missions when they are deployed, and it cues them into the fact that our light is signaling to them in what can be a bunch of lights in their night vision that they aren't as easily able to distinguish which one is us, which one is a signal and not just another light, etc. Now I'm wishing my favorite lights have that feature lol. Guess I will have to do it manually.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have, and I do, but that does not necessarily protect them adequately, and one is also my work ID card, which has to be shown to a guard and visible on me all day, so encasing it in a protective sleeve is awkward.
You could use a clear plastic sleeve. Tons of those available, even with slots for a clip loop. I used to use one attached to a clip-on reel for easy showing.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its funny, I would have said strobe is my number one disliked feature or unnecessary feature. I was glad none of my flashlights had it. Then not long ago I had search and rescue training and we worked with helicopter pilots from the national guard and they said the best way to alert them to our location at night is strobe. They apparently use this on missions when they are deployed, and it cues them into the fact that our light is signaling to them in what can be a bunch of lights in their night vision that they aren't as easily able to distinguish which one is us, which one is a signal and not just another light, etc. Now I'm wishing my favorite lights have that feature lol. Guess I will have to do it manually.
If the light has momentary on then you can simulate strobe... but it's certainly tedious for anything beyond half a minute. Strobe is a nice feature to have when you need it. As long as it's tucked away in a sub menu so it's not in the primary brightness modes, it's all good.

Lumen83

Enlightened
As long as it's tucked away in a sub menu so it's not in the primary brightness modes, it's all good.
Very much agreed. Having to cycle through it with other modes is terrible. Hopefully I will not have to simulate it very long.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light has momentary on then you can simulate strobe... but it's certainly tedious for anything beyond half a minute. Strobe is a nice feature to have when you need it. As long as it's tucked away in a sub menu so it's not in the primary brightness modes, it's all good.
The funny thing for me is that I could not find Strobe on a ZL if I tried to but whenever I hand someone a ZL they can only get to strobe somehow and never on purpose?

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
I think triple click goes straight to strobe on my ZL SC5w.

I hate lights that start in a mode I don't use much, and have to cycle through the modes to get to the mode I want whenever I use it. Or lights that turn on in the next mode when you use it the next time (they usually have strobe as one of those modes)

mightysparrow

Enlightened
You could use a clear plastic sleeve. Tons of those available, even with slots for a clip loop. I used to use one attached to a clip-on reel for easy showing.

I already keep most of my cards in sleeves - thick, hard plastic sleeves, but they will not stop a magnet from demagnetizing the card. I know that from experience.

syga

Newly Enlightened
My most disliked feature is that lenses in my high end flashlights cant be changed or cannot be changed easily when they are broken/scratched. And the plastic lenses in my cheap mini maglites are very easy to replace.

majid

Newly Enlightened
Strobe mode, easily. Given how many people have answered the same, why do manufacturers keep adding that useless misfeature in their lights?

Lumen83

Enlightened
Strobe mode, easily. Given how many people have answered the same, why do manufacturers keep adding that useless misfeature in their lights?

Manufacturers of "tactical" or duty lights have a customer base that does have a use case for strobe. It just boils down to the fact that adding the feature doesn't sway many away from a light, but it adds some sales to those who do require it.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe all you would need to do is wave it back and forth this way it's on when pointed in their direction and off when not pointed that way. Should work with many switch types.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Ah man where do I start? Well just a few of the things that I hate, and I'll hold no punches back:

1. Flashlight engineers ignoring the battery safety specs in their designs (I'm talking about you Surefire).
2. Step down in lumens, as too many companies are gaming the ANSI FL1 Standard just so they can list super high lumen values and long runtimes. (again looking at SF, Olight and many other companies too).
3. Not designing flashlights that can use environmentally sound and economical NiMH batteries (all eyes on you Streamlight, and you too LED Lenser, get with the game as it's already 2019!).
4. Side switches, as they can too easily activate in a pocket. (Olight you are guilty as charged).
5. EDC lumen monsters, I mean really, other than showing off, no one has a need for such ridiculous output levels that overheat in seconds. (Emisar put your head down in shame).
6. Strobe and SOS, especially on small keychain lights (Chinese makers all guilty at one time or another).
7. Lights with internal non-replaceable batteries, no company should be selling disposable lights with a 6 to 24 month life. (Surefire again, Nitecore (you started this stupid trend), Olight, Streamlight, prob others too).

I could go on but those are the ones I feel most strongly about.

Edit: added 7.

Last edited:
I share the dislikes many have mentioned like strobes in particular. But I think I'd say proprietary batteries that can't be removed and recharged in a standard li ion charger. Battery technology has advanced so far, just use the same battery format the rest of the world does without packaging it in a way that prevents easy replacement and recharging.

That is a good one. Building on that, any flashlight that won't work without proprietary batteries. Two different Four-Sevens I own are that way, and I would never buy a similar light. I've got a bunch of great charged up batteries that won't work in either, and both need to be charged from USB (slow).

GregP507

Newly Enlightened
I enjoy having plenty of special modes on my flashlights, but I always forget the special sequences of button pushes when it's time to use it. That's why I prefer the button on/off switch on the end cap. That way, there's never any confusion when I grab a light when I need it.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I hate SOS/Strobe in the main mode sequence. I've legitimately used a blinky mode once in my life directing parking at a volunteer event. It's nice to have, but I never use it...so just intuitively hide them.

With the popularity of blinky modes, it's baffling to me that so many companies don't include moonlight. So much more useful and practical than disco modes...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
5. EDC lumen monsters, I mean really, other than showing off, no one has a need for such ridiculous output levels that overheat in seconds. (Emisar put your head down in shame).

I suppose this depends on one's expectations of "EDC Lumen monsters".

If one looks at the advertised peak lumens and expects that output sustained then I suppose one might be disappointed that something with a mere ~150% of volume of the cell it contains can't continuously dissipate ~30 watts without the consequences of thermal stepdown, short runtimes, or both.

Conversely, if one sees the long trend of such diminutive lights being capable of a more reasonable <5 watts continuous output with the turbo mode as a "show off" mode (or as Emisar puts it - "what was that?") then the limited utility of turbo is properly framed - as as bonus feature that supplements what's otherwise a <500 sustained lumen flashlight.

The latter is how I see mine - lights that are allowed to operate within the full limits of the system's performance with the consequences of excess left to the user to manage. Fits my typical usage (dog walking) great - a few hundred lumens for most of the task, bursts of canned sunlight on tap if I want it.

OldSkol

Newly Enlightened
My least favorite feature is black.
When I need a flashlight it's dark and black is hardest color to find.
I find it disappointing that the default color is black.

Latest posts