Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
I have an Aeon on my keychain.

Use a Nitecore D10 with NiMh around the house

Have a Nitecore E10 in each car.

Alan

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I as of right now I EDC my task force which I try to keep it's rechargeables toped off, but that light isn't 100% reliable to the point I'd ever stake my life on it:shakehead, while my AAA Minimag on my key chain with xenon bulb and lithiums will give me only 1.2 hours of run time but I always have spares so I would use that light:). However at home I'll grab my 6D Mag with Nite Ize LED drop-in. about 32 lumens but with 14 full nights:faint: of runtime it would be nearly impossible to ever kill it without finding more batteries out in the field. Though I would hand the Mag to whowever is around me and just use my modded 4000+ lumen Bigbeam 1766 C Power House to really light up the surroundings:devil: and it's SLA is always toped off, with 1.6 hours of runtime. I find when I go camping my real reliable lights show them selves. Even my avatar picture light I love crapped out on me:mecry:, so did my Task Force and my LED Minimag sometimes. The above mentioned lights held strong and didn't give me any problems.

Last edited:

blue

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... seems to me that many of the posts are thinking short term emergency not something lasting days. An EDC light only isn't what I would consider a good emergency light(s), given that emergency can mean many things and usually means no access to electricity for some duration. Many people have EDCs that have short battery life, etc.

For me, having recently been without power for a number of days, I was looking to see what the latest was for 3 different types of lights that I think are important in emergency situations,..

1. Headlight (just so important when wandering around trying to do things in a dark house... don't know what the current good ones are)

2. Lantern (when stationary and wanting area light, i.e. more than one person... what are good LED lanterns now-a-days?)

3. EDC or good hand power light (important for really lighting up a focused area if need be, since there are a million threads on EDC, I really wasn't that curious about this one)

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... seems to me that many of the posts are thinking short term emergency not something lasting days. An EDC light only isn't what I would consider a good emergency light(s), given that emergency can mean many things and usually means no access to electricity for some duration. Many people have EDCs that have short battery life, etc.

For me, having recently been without power for a number of days, I was looking to see what the latest was for 3 different types of lights that I think are important in emergency situations,..

1. Headlight (just so important when wandering around trying to do things in a dark house... don't know what the current good ones are)

2. Lantern (when stationary and wanting area light, i.e. more than one person... what are good LED lanterns now-a-days?)

3. EDC or good hand power light (important for really lighting up a focused area if need be, since there are a million threads on EDC, I really wasn't that curious about this one)

Yes I to see a lot of people who don't have very long running lights. What you often see is people using EDC's with extremely low modes used for long durations. Yes at 1 lumen it will run for a 100+ hours but what's nice to see is lights that put out a good amount of power for a decent time. Also true is that a low runtime light can be used with high output as long as you have spare batteries, and a good number of people here have that combination to:thumbsup:. I didn't mention this light above but it is cool in it's own way. It's a Eveready captain with a 12 watt emergency power outage bulb and can be quickly mounted to any 12 volt power source. In this configuration I get about 175-210 lumens for a solid 18 hours. And with over 12 of these batteries sitting around you do the math for run time.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I to see a lot of people who don't have very long running lights. What you often see is people using EDC's with extremely low modes used for long durations. Yes at 1 lumen it will run for a 100+ hours but what's nice to see is lights that put out a good amount of power for a decent time. Also true is that a low runtime light can be used with high output as long as you have spare batteries, and a good number of people here have that combination to:thumbsup:. I didn't mention this light above but it is cool in it's own way. It's a Eveready captain with a 12 watt emergency power outage bulb and can be quickly mounted to any 12 volt power source. In this configuration I get about 175-210 lumens for a solid 18 hours. And with over 12 of these batteries sitting around you do the math for run time.
You... are my hero. :grin2:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast

That reminds me of Big Beam lanterns and is a great idea for long runtime bright lighting.If you haven't heard of Big Beam lanterns check them out
http://www.bigbeam.com/lanterns.html

shomie911

Enlightened

That's like 40 straight nights worth of light.

Someones ready for TEOTWAWKI! :laughing:

(The End Of The World As We Know It)

blue

Newly Enlightened
That's like 40 straight nights worth of light.

Someones ready for TEOTWAWKI! :laughing:

(The End Of The World As We Know It)

.... and the sad part, I had already translated TEOTWAWKI in my head before I saw you spell it out in the next line. Too much useless info sitting in my head. :popcorn:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... and the sad part, I had already translated TEOTWAWKI in my head before I saw you spell it out in the next line. Too much useless info sitting in my head. :popcorn:
Not useless when TEOTWAWKI HAPPENS!!:naughty:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a put a 250 lumen cree R2 in that lamp and those 40 days of light can be extended to like 160 days seeing as leds are at least 4 times as efficient as incans. :twothumbs

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Put a put a 250 lumen cree R2 in that lamp and those 40 days of light can be extended to like 160 days seeing as leds are at least 4 times as efficient as incans. :twothumbs

OK, now insert the usual "Malkoff M60LL" line here and you'll really start to need the calculator.:party:
(I guess there would be a voltage issue but a person can just give the big M a call, right?)

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
EDC light combo;
SureFire A2 Aviator with red/white Aviatrix ring
Novatac 120-P

these are my general use lights, the 120-P runs on RCR-123's and is fed a fresh cell every morning

Emergency lights;
Arc AAA-P DS on keyring
Fenix E01 tucked in the fold of my wallet

the Arc sees occasional use, the Fenix has seen none, it's there if I ever need an ultra-long-life light

In my laptop bag, I have;
SureFire E1L-SR running a primary cell
Fenix L1T 2.0 R80

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
That reminds me of Big Beam lanterns and is a great idea for long runtime bright lighting.If you haven't heard of Big Beam lanterns check them out
http://www.bigbeam.com/lanterns.html

Do I know about Big Beam? You bet I do! My entire collection of lights mostly focuses on their style. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/185416&page=8 I rarely buy expensive new lights, but instead I spend time making these dinosaurs as powerful and reliable as newer production ones. Though if you want the absolute ultimate runtime monster then I may have came up with it already. I have yet to build it "like many other lights do to combined coast of all of them:shakehead" but I would take My Big Beam 1766 C with it's original double size alkaline battery and attach a Mag head on it "won't be pretty, but who cares" and run my Nite Ize LED drop in. I would get a mathematically calculated runtime of….. Drum roll please…. 867 hours:eek::faint:!! That's about 32 lumens to! Well ya thanks for the complements on my other stuff:thumbsup:.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
i've carried a 7060 in a scabbard attached to my belt when i've hunted in the evening or have been out and about during really bad weather; however, that's definitely an exception to the rule. for bump in the night, 7060 without a doubt.

generally only edc a 120p.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Either the Novatac 120P or Surefire L1, but I usually have an LOD in the bottom of a pocket also.

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
I now have an Inova T2 with fresh batteries in it and beside it. I figure I am good to go for 10 years! :)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am EDCing a LP F1 with an e2 lithium in it. My around the house emergency lights are...a Fenix TK20 in a waterproof Pelican type case with 30 AA lithiums...and believe it or not, my Raidfire Spear with a few 18650's. The Spear on low should have 160-180 hours of burn time on 1 18650....it can tailstand and is pretty britght when turned on high.

Hans

Enlightened
It depends on where I am. My EDC is (still) the HDS B42 (because it has a very low low and has proven itself to be totally reliable) with two spare CR123 and a red LOD Q4 with a couple of Eneloops. I also carry an E01 with two lithiums as a backup. Talk about long runtime ... :D

When I'm travelling I add one more light, depending on what I'm doing, usually a small thrower running on CR123's. I'm looking at the TK20 though because in some places AA's are a definite advantage.

At home the question doesn't really arise, there are enough lights (and batteries, and rechargeables ...) for the whole neighbourhood. *grin*

Gator762

Enlightened
Fenix L1D R2 with a LiFePO4 - high output for EDC use with the LiFePO4 cell, but I can throw regular AAs in it for runtime. I have a spare LiFe and NiMH cell in my laptop bag. This one has been one of my most reliable and durable lights, and I upgraded it to an R2 emitter.
Fenix L0D Q4 - size of course, with the pocket clip.

Both lights use standard cells with good runtimes. AA and AAA cells are the most popular, and I can hawk outta about anything if need be. Standard cells was actually one of the reasons I decided to go LiFePO4 in the L1D. I wanted Lithium high output, but in a battery format I might have a hope of finding spare cells if needed.

And a crapload of spare LSD NiMH at home of course, with some Lithium AAs for good measure. :D