What kind of photographer are you?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fast/Light Strike Photographer: I use whatever point-and-shoot that has capabilities/produces pictures closest to a DSLR, currently a Sony RX100 III in a camera protector body worn as a sling. No lenses, no bag, just 20 megapixels under my arm. My iPhone 6 does light editing and publishing duty (the camera sends pics via wi-fi), and there's a MacBook Pro back at base for heavier editing.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to have to update my "photographer type" to "Leica Owner"
around a year ago i bought a M240 and 50 Summarit - its not kept in a special display case though, it goes everywhere with me (16000 pics in 11 months)
I love it, its my favourite camera to use, although the work issued 1DX bodies get more use

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
Small kit photographer. I shoot micro four thirds, with a Kodak S-1 and an Olympus E-PL5.

I also use small flashlights and small two-way radios, and I repair small electronics with small chip components.

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new with photography so I'm sort of still in the "finding my style" stage, but I'm veering towards documentary photography. More specifically street photography. Most of the photographers I look up to are street shooters and I have a lot of fun doing it too. I enjoy it because I like it haha. <br>
<br>
I'm also the type who hates hipster photographers who use Instagram and think they're really good even though they know nothing about photography. Then again, who doesn't hate those guys?

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
I am not ashamed to admit some of the best pictures I have taken in the last year were with a cell phone. The HDR software and antishake enables relatively sharp images with good dynamic range and shadow detail. As well the panoramic works surprisingly well.

Last but not least the best camera is the one you have on hand.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I am not ashamed to admit some of the best pictures I have taken in the last year were with a cell phone. The HDR software and antishake enables relatively sharp images with good dynamic range and shadow detail. As well the panoramic works surprisingly well.

Last but not least the best camera is the one you have on hand.

Yeah, for about 15 years I had a lot of Canon gear. I sold it all about three/four years ago, and went with micro four-thirds. My latest camera is the Olympus E-M1. However, I almost hate to say it, but I find myself leaving it at home most of the time. Or, more to the point, I don't think about taking it with me. With post processing and other "in camera" tricks, my iPhone 6 does just about all I need. Only on special occasions do I think about it, because there are still times where the phone camera just can't get the shot.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
The girly girl. Usually female (but not always). Buys a camera based on how cute and pink it looks. Matching nail polish and lipstick is a bonus. Takes pictures of all her hot friends out clubbing and posts them on Facebook to make everyone else jealous.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Photo-journalist/nature photographer.

Each photo either tells a story or highlights natures bounty...or both.

I have lots of gear but the simpler the better is my favorite method.

At least $10k in gear, but prefer the unpredictable nature of my crappy cel-cam.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did photojournalism from the mid 60's until the late 80's my work was similar in kind to Robert Frank or Henri Cartier-Bresson. I did all my photo processing and framed and mounted all gallery work I did. My worked appeared in Jury Showings here in the U.S. and Europe.

While my work was good by pay or compensation was not; I later worked as a Union Journeyman Mechanic and I am now retired with a Union Pension.

joanne

Newly Enlightened
I don't consider myself a photographer as much as a story teller who uses pictures and words to share my adventures with people online. I use whatever camera I need to capture the pictures that I want to share. I spend a lot of time underground exploring abandoned mines and my cameras take a lot of abuse. I found that buying used cameras and knowing that they have a limited lifespan reduced my anxiety about the dirty, dusty, and rough conditions that I encounter. I'm not looking for the "artsy" pictures, rather images that capture the essence of being there.

So I'm considering delving in to the YouTube world. I know, there's already too many people generating a ton of video. In looking at "outdoor adventure" segment, there seems to be a lot of "home movie" type videos but nothing that really tells stories about interesting places or activities. I would like to do videos similar to what you see on the outdoor TV channels, but in a more personal style. Consider Les Stroud in Survivorman without the "drama". I've started accumulating some gear and practicing capturing video and audio. Will probably need an action camera (GoPro) to capture video when dangling off a rope and don't have any hands to spare to hold a camera. Video editing, voice over, and audio editing is another huge learning curve. I've watched so many poor quality videos that I don't want to simply be one more feed in the endless stream of junk. I'm not sure if I can produce the minimum level of quality I feel is necessary to make it worthwhile.

Joanne

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I like taking pictures like this.
Kinda tells a story, yet lets you use your imagination what that story is.

Or workers on a hot summer day slamming a bottle of water or wiping their brow...

Or....

Oh my! That's big.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
None of the Above: I'm a "wish I could afford photography" photographer.... i.e. cheap P&S lack features (full manual control / lens options / lens quality) to allow me to capture the images I want to capture at times. Until I can afford Photoshop, I'll just stick with the camera on my phone & suffer in silence.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
None of the Above: I'm a "wish I could afford photography" photographer.... i.e. cheap P&S lack features (full manual control / lens options / lens quality) to allow me to capture the images I want to capture at times. Until I can afford Photoshop, I'll just stick with the camera on my phone & suffer in silence.

Check out Pentax's APS-C lineup; lens selection isn't great, but a full kit with top shelf image quality and features is ~$600. The Photoshop/Lightroom suite is now $10/mo.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I am more like an opportunistic photographer - I use what I could borrow or have, meaning any cameras I could use and it also give me a bit of hands-on experience which is actually useful ($600 - 900 Nikon D3400 two lenses DSLR camera kit suits me just fine for now as I use Linux version of Photoshop, Darktable to clean up RAW image files a bit, now that I am also into astrophotography and that camera's not too bad for that low light photography). Also, I have a rare Canon 35mm A-1 SLR camera, gifted to me - I will need to find a few compatible parts to repair the film speed selector, fairly chewed up. :( However, ancient Nikon and Canon SLR cameras were built like tanks.

However, IMO, you don't have to be so rich to be a photographer, although it kind of help. Camera don't have to be greatest and latest, if you know of a few tricks, both analog (films) and digital (semiconductor) cameras can be your best friend in photography.

EDITED: Forgot to add the astrophotography picture, I know I got off on a wrong footing, however I learn quickly. I may get best result when I get to the campground (ie. away from light pollution), so I don't get overzealous with the shutter timing. Oh yeah, and better tripod is also important. I intend to figure that out.

PXy5PK7uVpGehfy9qkz4WXFJF1MMLuiI9-evwPbpB8OqeaYlq9g-Dp39KA5VAMNwXGmto-VwuIp5toSCg1nrPqxvFCh_1Vd7oAIGaxu4MMx6NfWJds1ZcCq0O_4FQfhKIoqn-YEVdzrtnyUVf8LoZjz9ecZR4s81Fdj3v0VU1Em8aLUiKJUrb9gu_FW8Q3ow-Ob0k3llsxas-rZ_odnxME9V9fS1wKnkXG1j946Kpjop2ugUq8ZsvCmNPoZPQMcnXLmGIcJSatpPJf25s7l5Dpb9-sODfGqjGjiQYMdNYYgc6OgTGA6d7DunS98HU1M4WtVQhhY0v_8dWCTzZKvQnGEC-jvCv2IKBfExRRZk6_8JsXdZNC6ufS_UePo65x6VnxjadS1JgBTLH8ng6n88_dS0evlTxCgE3gcadlqjSkbxDGs8wNPVGX5WIaGl7qAjaKKBwo57kvCxE8VrnvzOdm95xuMMOJVHNksnqZoiNSBDNs3hzozm8cD5EkaxQRk5CtXX0rqGt4a2tjKLX1n9Jh_dVMMzieY9fpXanaYCLRfMy7yyBFaRC70L3RRoxqEJ9hpwmzmck1TDfMTv_CdVWgSbPfn0meP3qy6WX9eMvVe2plhbEhzZZTLl=w921-h615-no

YET ANOTHER EDIT: And here's some newer bonus.

yRRb3mT_5msrUmABhHseGGyMmp-zH1NTi-IiE1JmldSVSznDEZ6IzzPSWlvvhdYt2HzDjHvJ1SP2sOSAkzMdkQLod7qJKdDlXfBDoqBpH8dGYkVhMOIY5XeiWj5uQYiOxkjJqwkDJ8PG3Z0jMPt9NNvELrju7pqRkZKEGtLd6JzF1ISPfTKtfgHJ5gtgrZ9OAGfrg0E3Abo4_mL3Ry_05l0j7NXqZH-P2GR7w26RI-TWPXihgAfjC5--JUg7jAuiVy0WB9h272Y7ZEEOivpSJR3NT3TnbOjCY103vHJ5an7Z_c1IdCboLyImHwZglj44Jr8Nzf3yPbRm18Ny892DiUu1_SH2N245b2NZxn2hzOBlvqClYwcrRykBBpZN5128CkcYwiTWeMbI9TdpRRJLRawpi2gqezQ1sMqKiwqK7QFjZCX-_D50zmhGVq_6Ax2VJohk9ztJRHUzWlsHL7W7Ei2sfs-C4deXaMazGF1h8TVOQm8GWWfwA6hwJiMJOCSZsVx00j1lbacUvJL4XV-ocNoBbv_cUNux9aLKvjaY-Uyj9okM8N_vmWLJWjib36ZKyFqSnJPtVTnrTb5kUc8NojzxETATdv01Ud-lQQbLuUCHSTU4alpBWiNo=w921-h615-no

Last edited: