What light is in your Car?

pbs357

Enlightened
I'm a bit nervous storing nice lights in the car as well. I keep a stock 3D MagLED between the driver's seat and the center console, and a cheap Energizer 3AAA headlamp in the center glovebox. Together, no more than $30+ but more than enough light to light and last any roadside breakdown.

The "nice" lights ride with me in my pocket and/or on the belt.

allburger

Enlightened
I have a 4D Maglite in my Ford F-150. I built tubular holder that I mounted under the center seat so half the light is exposed right in the center of the floorboard.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L1 Cree - small enough to fit in the center console, reasonable throw when I need it, good flood (short distance) with an F04 filter, decent runtime, and Lithium primary cells.

Coast Auto LED - good map light

Pak-light - tiny and LONG runtime

DM51

Flashaholic
There have been quite a few threads on this topic. It is a while since the last one, and many new lights have come on to the market since then, so it is perfectly OK to have a new thread now. Some of the older threads nevertheless still contain some good and valid advice. Marduke gives some links to them above.

This is an important topic. For safety reasons, everyone should keep a good light in their car, and it should NEVER be taken out to be used for other purposes. I keep a yellow G2 and a stock PT Eos headlamp in my own car. That works fine for me, but everyone will have their own preference.

If lights are kept in a center console or glove box, they will stay quite well insulated from serious daily fluctuations in temperature, but prolonged periods of extreme heat or cold will mean extra care will need to be taken with batteries.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now actually nothing. Rag top with plastic windows that unzip from outside doesn't mix with valuble items.

warx23

Enlightened
Sure fire 6p led in the side pocket. Mini mag with a led kit and a nite ize "freind" so I can point it at the project.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep several lights in my cars but nothing expensive.The one that comes to mind though is the 2D Mag w/Magled module.Alkalines have a tendency to leak so I use AA to D battery adapters and lithium AAs.I do have some standard D cells but I store them seperately from the light.The Mag is a solid light that offers good runtime(with the Magled)even with the lithium AAs.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two Underwater Kinetics 2L flashlights: one incan, the other LED.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+1 on the yellow G2. The plastic exterior seems to be a good choice for wear & tear if/when it bumps around. It's an incan though, I'd like to upgrade the emitter but that's not high priority (I'm not Enlightened yet, as you can see:duck:), also I've lost all contents (including a 2D M_g, LOL) from a past car theft / recover.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
One mini-mag with a Nite-Ize 1W drop-in, and one Streamlight Twin Task, both loaded with AA lithiums. I used to swap out alkalines a couple of times a year, but the lithiums seem to hold up well.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightwave 3000. Have to keep an eye on the batteries but so far OK. Bright enough for repairs etc and long runtime. Pretty tough too.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, sorry to hear that Glock =( Did insurance pay out for everything?

For me, in my '04 FX4 F-150, I have a black Mag3D with Elektrolumens MT-3 (tri-SSC dropin), and in the center console several 'buckalites' with SMJLED, and a headlamp - as well as Motorola Talkabout, batteries, and red GloToob.

Right now I also have my MillerMods Quad Q5 in the console, but it's supposed to be in my backpack that I take with me to work.

In the bed, in my 'emergency stuff' bin (thick gauge jumper cables, extra jacket, hat, MRE's, ext. cords, etc.) I also have a Power On Board HID - ~4000 lumens for 1+ hour. However, when I get delivery on my Elektrolumens Quad-P7, that HID may be a bit defunct =) It'll still have greater throw but as far as portability and ease of use (not have to let run for > 1 min each hit of the switch), it may be beat. Still the Power On Board can be set up on the ground and used to illuminate a work area, and is cheap, so, will probably still keep it in the truck.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nightstar CS Shake light in my car. I always have brighter lights on me were ever I go. Heat and cold are bad for batteries. The capacitor in the light has no problem with extreme heat or cold. I don't have to change the batteries ever, and there is no maintenance. I just shake it when I need it, and I have reliable light for however long I want it. I tried using a Inova XO2 as a car light, but found that in summer, the light got too hot to hold and took minutes of spraying it with a hose to cool it off. That can't be good for the l.e.d. or the lithium batteries (that I don't want to explode or vent hydroflouric acid in my airtight car). To avoid dead batteries, leaks, venting, and explosions, I decided to use a light that didn't run on batteries.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
maglite 6d and a cheapo led flashlight also a cored spot light

Last edited:

Latest posts