what light is your go to light when you need a bunch of lumens from a handheld night

precisionworks

Flashaholic
what light is your go to light when you need a bunch of lumens from a handhel...

Olight LE Kit R50 Pro Seeker LE

Good level spacing (60 400 1500 3200) with instant turbo & instant strobe. The strobe is the best I've ever used & keeps cars away from me & the pup. Amazing recharging dock, fast charging. No lanyard attachment but that's easily fixed.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/056RS3tV1pg-kuXRViqB98cyA

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
IMG-20180129-220948.jpg

Well....

WOW...….

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haikelite Q30 with Samsung 30Q's. Don't think is really 12000 lumens, but it is certainly a large number, and far beyond what any single 18650 light can deliver!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with WalkIntoTheLight. From my experience, the multicell monsters don't always throw any further than some smaller lights. What they do do is provide a wider beam/hotspot, and increased run time.
I got started with the Nitecore TM11, then the TM16, then the TM16GT. All nice lights, but expensive. I then tried the P30. Really nice light. Single cell, about two thirds the output of the bigger lights, but just about the perfect split between very intense hot spot with just enough spill to light up the area around one without being so bright it cuts down on your ability to see what's at the end of the beam. It's not my normal EDC, but if I'm going into a situation where I might need more light/runtime than my EA11, it goes on my belt too. And at ~60$ MSRP, it's a lot cheaper.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened

That's better than anything I could've expected, thanks for that haha.

As another point, anyone enjoy winter for extra turbo time? I can run my S41S with 4 219b's, and I can run it minutes at a time in turbo (resetting to turbo after 40sec stepdown) and it's a lot of fun. The 30Q probably doesn't love it but it's fun nonetheless, and I wonder what it's like to be in an area where it's always hot trying to use a bright light!

timelord276

Newly Enlightened
ThruNite TN40S if weight/size is no matter, and I want both throw and spill, or ThruNite Catapult V6 if weight/size does matter and I want throw, or the ThruNite TC20 for spill. And often my smaller ZebraLights are fine for most things (SC64w MK IV HI, SC600w MK IV HI, at almost 1400 lumens on high).

- Bill

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
The astrolux s4* lights are all good models... I edc an s43 copper and love it. I swapped out the stock LEDs for 351Ds 4000k +94 CRI and love it. Will probably be my edc for years.
The Q8 with the same LEDs is my mega light but rarely need to put her in turbo.
The new sp36 is my new project, same mods as my Q8 so est 9klms on full cells and cold head.... But that onboard charging is an awesome addition.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently it's the Fireflies E07 with 4000K XPL HI

Over 7,000 lumen max output and it's small enough to fit in a pants pocket.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
The astrolux s4* lights are all good models... I edc an s43 copper and love it. I swapped out the stock LEDs for 351Ds 4000k +94 CRI and love it. Will probably be my edc for years.
The Q8 with the same LEDs is my mega light but rarely need to put her in turbo.
The new sp36 is my new project, same mods as my Q8 so est 9klms on full cells and cold head.... But that onboard charging is an awesome addition.

I just picked up an S43 and I am totally confused at why people love this light. You can't run it on turbo for very long at all. It starts stepping down in 30 seconds and ends up both dim and borderline too hot to hold. Runtime on high is a little longer, but not by much and the light ends up just as hot. I don't buy 2000 lumen flashlights to just run them at 150 lumens.

Berneck1

Enlightened
what light is your go to light when you need a bunch of lumens from a handhel...

It depends on the situation, but my go-to has been the Nitecore EA-42. It's a good thrower, and I find the 31,200 candela/1800 lumen high to be plenty of light to cut through the noise of other light. What I think many people don't realize is that lumens isn't the whole story. I have higher lumen lights that don't have the same reach. This can sometimes be problematic when the light is competing with intense street lights. The decent candela of this light can cut through the street light pretty well. The street lights where I live are pretty far apart, so some areas are lit, while other areas appear pitch black. The problem with that is that when you're closer to the street light you cannot see a thing on the other side of the lit area. It literally looks like a black hole. Sometimes even the 3800 lumens of my Thrunite TC20 weren't quite enough, so I use the more intense EA-42 at 1800 lumens. Of course the TC20 can light up a larger area, but I can see more clearly in a smaller area with the EA42. If there were no street lights, a 1000 or even 500 lumen light would likely be enough, but that's not my usual situation.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK said it never lit due to some obscure government regulation forbidding the 9 side by side HID's blinding incoming aircraft or something.

Maybe FRITZHID will buy it and light up Mount Rushmore with it?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up an S43 and I am totally confused at why people love this light. You can't run it on turbo for very long at all. It starts stepping down in 30 seconds and ends up both dim and borderline too hot to hold. Runtime on high is a little longer, but not by much and the light ends up just as hot. I don't buy 2000 lumen flashlights to just run them at 150 lumens.

It's better outside in very cold weather, but yeah, it's not a light you can expect to run at 2000 lumens for very long. That's more of a show-off mode. I think people like it for the relatively high CRI you get from the Nichia 219C emitters, even though they run hotter than Crees. It's a cheap pocket-rocket. But, yes, it's annoying that it steps down to such a low level.

IIRC, you can program it to be less aggressive about the step-downs, or even turn off the step-down completely. Though, I wouldn't recommend turning it off, for safety reasons.