What replaces the Eagletac M3C4?

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
I own several of these and have given several as gifts but since I can no longer get any I'm looking for the next-closest replacement. The things I specifically like about the M3C4 are:

- The 5-level control ring. I absolutely love this for the one-handed operation. It's so simple to adjust with only my thumb & forefinger on the ring, even wearing gloves. It's also fast, unlike a lot of others for which press-and-hold or some other approach just takes too long. I value this control ring above all other features.

- 2x18650 fits well in the hand. 3 or 4 18650's is too much (particularly for the wife factor).

- Single LED for throw. So many current models with additional LEDs add brightness which is always nice, but I want a single LED that is better focused for throw.

I've looked on Eagletac's website and don't see any other "M" model which seems equivalent. Am I missing it? If not Eagletac, who else has something comparable that most importantly can be adjusted from a very low level to super high easily with one hand?

For what it's worth, I do have other Eagletac models like the G25C2 and they do not twist easily like the control ring on the M3C4. The M3C4 ring is as easy to turn as the much smaller JetBeam RRT01 which I also love and has been my EDC primarily due to the stepless control ring. So what other model or who else has such an easy control ring like the M3C4 & RRT01?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I was reading I was thinking Jetbeam, but I see you already know that! lol Welcome to the forum.

FWIW: I know this is gonna sound stupid, wacky and crazy...and you may think I have lost my mind...but...if you like how fast & easy that ring works, take a look at a Cool Fall Spy. It is super fast and easy to use, and you can program it. I highly suggest a used one at first.
If you don't know already, it is a $1K plus dollar light new. Used in the high hundreds. I know, I know. This isn't for everyone. But you would probably be blown away by the light. I showed one to a fellow who has never bought a real light. After him using it one night, he ordered one. His theory was he will never have to buy another light. Assuming it isn't stolen or lost.
I say all that cause I like the Magnetic control ring lights for the same reasons you do. I was very hesitant to invest in a Spy. In fact, I thought it was just dumb. Then I read, then I got one, I never looked back.

Ok, now back to reality.
Look at Acebeam. Like the K60 or K70. See what you think. If you like that idea, look at Skylumen and get the vn version of that light. You will be simply blown off your feet!

Have fun!

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
I laughed when you welcomed me to the forum. I actually joined in 2008 but have more than 500x fewer posts than you do. Clearly I need to contribute more.

I would LOVE a Cool Fall Spy. So far I haven't quite been able to justify it but perhaps I should give it another look as I am a huge fan of quick one-handed operation. I was also one of the first people to get the HDS Rotary but for me the HDS was just a bit too stiff for quick operation. I still have it on my nightstand (the low-light control of the rotary is great for indoor/bedroom use) but it never made it to EDC since it was just a little to stiff to operate one-handed. Anyway, I'll give the Cool Fall Spy another serious look. I promise.

I believe all the K-series lights from Acebeam use 4x18650 which is just a bit too big in the hand for my intended use of nightly walks with wife & dog. Acebeam, like everyone else, is competing for the most light/lumens so they all keep going with more batteries. I've never personally held any Acebeam model so perhaps I should just get one for fun and then see if my wife would ever use it.

I'm glad to find another fan of the magnetic control rings. I wish more manufacturers would use them in their newer lights. I understand the trade-offs, but I do think more customers would love them if given the opportunity.

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
I just saw/realized that the Acebeam K40 uses only 3x18650, so it won't be quite as big (as the K60/K70). I think I'll give one of the K40 models a try to see if my wife would be happy with that. Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't have re-considered Acebeam if you hadn't suggested it.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just going to suggest acebeam and you are there, the k40's are 3 cell. I have small hands and can recomend 3 cells !

carteriii

Newly Enlightened
I did buy the AceBeam K40M. I thought about the K40L or K40S which are more true throwers but went with the K40M since most of time I'll only be pointing at a distance of about 200m. The K40M definitely puts out a wall of light. Given the size of the head & reflector, I was actually surprised just how wide the beam is, but I assume/believe that is due primarily due to the larger emitter. For those who haven't seen the beamshots in this forum, definitely check out http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...4-NEW-Acebeam-K40M-Beamshots-Review-to-follow since that nicely shows the difference in the beam.

The ring control is a bit stiff for my liking. I can still use it one-handed with my thumb & index finger on the ring, but I cannot use only my thumb to move the ring. It's just stiff enough that my wife just uses her second hand to adjust the ring. The 3x18650 size is acceptable (4x18650 really is too big for small hands), though I would still prefer 2x18650 and less runtime if I could get the same beam. Otherwise it's a great light.

Thanks to everyone for your responses/suggestions.