What to do with old unusable flashlights you are still emtionally attached to?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
That red lantern on the bottom shelf - I have one of those. I still use it. Mine is old enough it came with a krypton bulb, I upgraded it to an LED PR replacement and it works just fine. When I run out of D cells I already have the AA to D adapters ready. Haven't decided if I'm going to use 3 NiMH or a 14500 and two dummy cells. I'll have to test it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180209_172846.jpg

Any good with wood working tools?

moltenmag

Enlightened
Whenever I start feeling attached to a physical item, I watch an episode of Hoarders and the attachment fades quickly.

Haha I've done the same thing! Whenever I start to go overboard about buying things, I box up everything but the items that I like the most and go a full week using JUST those few things and then sell the rest. I liken it to clearing out a hard rice on a computer or pushing the reset button...

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I was attached to my last surefire. It survived my last tour, got blown up with me. It decided to go on strike then quit on me. After all it went through, it went in the trash after the warranty I bought didn't look like it covered real world use. So in the trash it went. Don't have time for broken tools laying around.

Imon

Enlightened
Of all my lights there are only three I use on a regular basis.
I think when it comes to old or discontinued lights it might not exactly be emotional attachment but maybe fear of not being able to get that same model of light back.

I have a 4Sevens Quark RGB that I almost never use but I can't part with it because it is an interesting light even if it is a weird floody light with clumsy controls. I just put my lights that I haven't used in a long time in a box for long term storage. I'll check on it from time to time to see if my feelings for the light has changed and if I feel like I can part with it.
I don't think it's terrible that you feel conflicted about this - this is a forum for flashlight fanatics after all.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old and obsolete, yes. Broken: No, none of my 18 real flashlight are broken. Five of my lights are on the front burner, they see near daily use. That leaves 13 flashlights on the back burner. Most of those are obsolete, superseded. They sit in the safe, and are rotated out once in a while. I use my obsolete lights to bring back happy memories of my flashlight youth. I will not part with them, especially since my family and friends are not interested in real flashlights. Just thinking about the Niwalker MM15 and the 47's MMU-X3 puts me in a very happy mood. Tons of very nice and strong new flashlight enthusiast memories.