What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I bought another Sofirn SP40 (4000k) for my Handbag/Purse, I`v decided that it will be my "going out" EDC. I use my Manker E02II as my indoor EDC.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Baton Pro II in copper, to match. Prefer polished to patina
fdf11c756d3b2027c2cc8b546321a8c6.jpg

ef89a83cf29575b64ed1eba1df2f1a4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OgreZA

Newly Enlightened
I bought a pair of Lume Cube 2.0 based on their CRI of 95 and color temperature of 5600K.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a couple lights this week. Surefire M640DF and a second Streamlight Stinger DS HPL.

The Surefire was because I wanted something to illuminate a decent size area to defend. The Streamlight is a housewarming gift for the daughter's new home in the country. The wall hanging charger makes the light very convenient.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Fenix e12 v2.0.

It is tiny for a 1xAA light and works very well. I love the 5L/30L/160L mode spacing and the fact that it always starts low.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Vinh Nguyen mod of Noctigon K1vn with SBT90 de-lens emitter, for its spectacular power and throw in a medium sized package.
5150 lumen, 545,000 cd, 1476 m throw
A lot of performance in a sub 3" bezel at less than 14 oz. loaded. Thank you Vinh, as usual from Skylumen.com

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nitebrite

Enlightened
Imalent RT70. I wanted to know if it was as good as the UDR Dominator. Amazingly it is sort of close and it is much smaller. Plus it has in body magnetic charging. You lose the dial UI. It cannot really compete with the Dominator but for $190 it is pretty impressive. The one above sounds interesting.

Oh, the K1vn is larger. Well, I mean it is longer. The RT70 is much more stout. The RT70 has 5500 lumens. The RT70 actually has more spill than the Dominator. The Dominator had a much better emitter but it is several years old. The 70.2 may have surpassed it. I am not sure.

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
jon, that is a modified flashlight? Why is it your grail? Is it really rare? I have no clue.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
TCR-1 is a Cult Classic (its a secret cult, which is why youve never heard of it.. lol)

grail because of the simplicity of the UI,

analog not digital..
no clicking,
I just turn a dial, like a dimmer switch at home

total gamechanger for me

totally intuitive,
bypasses all mental considerations that are common with a clicky UI

this video shows the operation of the dial:

more info here

they are from a production run of 1000 units in 2012,
each has an individual serial number.
The LED is nothing special (to a High CRI snob),
some sort of XM-L that was popular at the time for high lumens, but with Low CRI

I will upgrade with favorite High CRI Nichia, new reflector, and sapphire lens. Plus maybe some form of "find me on the nightstand in the dark" marker..

which would you choose:
tritium:
13-Trit_Lighting_M.jpg~original

or GITD:
UNyQZPQ.jpg

Its a city light, I seldom need more than 200 lumens, it does double that and fits 18350.
Where it excells, for me, is at the very lowest end.

It can produce a dimmer low than any other light I know of, and I find that thrilling (for reasons I cant explain).. lol

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
I like trits. For that I would go with the glow ring. More old school and understated. I see why you like that now. It does not have super specs but is a collectors item.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My most recent purchase is the Olight Warrior Mini. I'm finding it's basically a longer/heavier S2R2 with a tailswitch. This particular unit is greener on the lower settings than my S2R2 and it pisses me off. I absolutely despise green tint in an led beam. These SST-40 emitters are notorious for this, although, I got pretty lucky with my S2R2.

It's the same reason I don't care for my s2+ lights that sport the same led.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Vemice

Enlightened
Recently got a Tool Vn Ti AAA clicky with a Nichia 219b.
I love titanium, clickies and Vinh's work.
Fully programmable and runs 10440s.I have it set to a 6-mode setting and it is just about perfect for my needs. I rarely go above the 2nd click but it has the output if I ever need it.
Just a fun light (for me).
4ZYNkAPl.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently got a Tool Vn Ti AAA clicky with a Nichia 219b.

Outstanding little gem of a light, congratulations!
10440 w H17f similar driver VN
mechanical clicky to handle the power
and a unique tiTool head that can Lego to a Maratac and Thrunite

thanks for sharing

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
I wish I had that. I would put it on a Maratac. I can see why my light was overlooked. You guy's have some cool stuff.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
II can see why my light was overlooked. You guy's have some cool stuff.

I mostly ignore posts with no photos.. but Im sure you have some nice lights too
also your interest seems to be in big throwers, that I have no experience with..

nitebrite

Enlightened
I hope you read this jon.
No jon, actually I just got into big throwers. You don't need pics. They are just stock stuff. I have collected the pocket lights we discussed in that Hanko thread. I have many of them. As you said they are all the same. They just look different. My favorite one is one Rey made for me. Honestly a pic is a hassle right now. It is the same thing too. h17, XPL-HI. He just made the shape and colors I wanted out of Timascus. The only "special" thing about it is I think it was pricey for a Chinese light. When I say pocket lights I mean 3x smd LED. Not so small. Not like an AAA.

What you guy's have though blows away my collection however. I have a bunch of "custom" lights but nothing very cool like what is posted here. As you pointed out jon, mine are really all the same thing. It is okay though. I got what I wanted.

obscure

Newly Enlightened
In an attempt to replace a DQG Tiny AAA from four years ago (tiny, titanium body, but unreliable), recently got the Thrunite Ti3 (Neutral) and Lumintop Tool AAA.

- Nice lights but wish they were smaller, enjoyed the tiny part of the DQG
- Liked the tritium on the DQG (it actually fell off), missing that on those lights
- Intrigued by the idea of a side click, might go that way with the next one