What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fenix E03R

Love the excellent Nitecore Tube V2.0 but wanted to try out a slightly bigger keychain light, with a double barrel design. Unfortunately I found too many design aspects of Nitecore's TIP SE, TIP2, and TINI2 that just turned me off. (Different issues on each light.)

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
Technically it's a headlamp, but my latest led light is the Biolite 330. I wanted a lighter headlamp with blink/flash, and this was really my only option. I think it's funny that for the longest time manufacturers kept putting blinky modes in for no good reason, and now it's very hard to find good lights for being seen.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, not entirely sure why though; but literally just ordered a Maglite Mag-Tac CR123 LED Flashlight w/ Crowned Bezel.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, not entirely sure why though; but literally just ordered a Maglite Mag-Tac CR123 LED Flashlight w/ Crowned Bezel.

That's a good enough reason in my book:). I'll be interested in your thoughts / impressions after you get it in hand and test drive it. I've considered the LFP rechargeable version but haven't made the move (yet), but the 123 primary version is likely similar enough that many of your impressions may apply. For that matter, the 123 version would probably be happy with an LFP123, so there's that. It's probably shorter, although I didn't find the dimensions to check that.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Logan 16350 -- was curious what the heck is this Quantum Tunneling Composite technology. And it is looking nice, of course. The CRI version features a perfect flood beam.

But there is a drawback as well: this QTC insert does compress and expand, but it turned out that it retains some deformation -- if you unscrew a head just till a light goes off several minutes later you may discover your light on again with the lowest setting -- the QTC insert has expanded and made contact again.

So I have to unscrew a head and shake the light to be sure a battery has a sufficient gap inside.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
5mm 1900K high CRI
1645181317700.png

I want to try them in the Petzl Tikka, and compare with 5mm 3300K, or can be combined - 2 pcs 1900K and 2 pcs 3300K

SixCats!

Enlightened
I bought a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. I removed the pocket clip and added O-rings to improve grip.

View attachment 18625
Great light! Not only will this light take CR123's, AA's, re-chargeable AA's, this light will work using AAA batteries and no doubt re-chargeable AAA's. ! However, I'm not sure about using 14500's.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light! Not only will this light take CR123's, AA's, re-chargeable AA's, this light will work using AAA batteries and no doubt re-chargeable AAA's. ! However, I'm not sure about using 14500's.

This light has withstood the test of time and remains a good / popular choice for / with many today, despite having been around over 5 years. What I find just as amazing is that with all the no-name, Johnny come lately, jackleg, flash in the pan, fly-by-night (did I miss any?:), flashlight manufacturers around today, I'm not aware of any of those who have seized on that and done a real form / functional knockoff / copycat of this design. I know of only one other light that essentially checks all the same boxes as this one (excepting AAA [which is not an advertised feature of the 1L-1AA], but adding 16340), and it's not from any of the above referenced companies, and costs twice as much. I can't understand why none (apparently) have considered that they need a light to compete with the 1L-1AA, because clearly that space in the market still exists. I admit that I'm not up to date on all the product offerings from all the above manufacturers so I could be missing one (let me know please), but I don't recall seeing it if it's out there. It's not as if those companies don't do 'knockoffs / copycats', so I wonder why not this one?

Edit: After posting this, just for fun I pulled up this doc and it does appear there's a patent or two on that light; although I didn't get to finding out what it covers. I suppose it's possible there's something patentable about that 'dual fuel' arrangement and maybe that's inhibiting knockoffs. I wouldn't have thought so, but it might be a possible answer to my question.....?

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Stinger 2020. It was an impulse buy. But the ease of changing brightness levels and the solid beam of light it puts out is nice. I wish it had a fourth, extra low, setting though. But this is simple enough I might get a second one for my wife when we walk the dogs or go to the beach at night.

3_gun

Enlightened
Xtar UL1-120 USB Powered Goose Neck LED

"While the 60 and 120 lumen dual-brightness modes are more than enough for any day-to-day task, additional red, green, and blue color outputs offer a selection of low-light illumination to help preserve your night vision."

Runs off any USB power source, useful light levels, small (compact EDC, only 1.8" long and ½ oz) & cheap (<$15,shop around)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Stinger 2020. It was an impulse buy. But the ease of changing brightness levels and the solid beam of light it puts out is nice. I wish it had a fourth, extra low, setting though. But this is simple enough I might get a second one for my wife when we walk the dogs or go to the beach at night.

I've had mine for about a year. I bought it mostly out of curiosity and had doubts that I'd like it, but the more I use it the more I like it. It's an innovative design that works very well.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar UL1-120 USB Powered Goose Neck LED

"While the 60 and 120 lumen dual-brightness modes are more than enough for any day-to-day task, additional red, green, and blue color outputs offer a selection of low-light illumination to help preserve your night vision."

Runs off any USB power source, useful light levels, small (compact EDC, only 1.8" long and ½ oz) & cheap (<$15,shop around)

Looks very useful. Glad you mentioned it because I was looking for one some time ago, but as I recall for some reason they were unavailable at that time. I see BJ has 'em for $9. Next time I do an order with them I can see one ending up in my cart.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think the last flashlight I bought was a 2nd gen Alpha hi/lo because they were on clearance and I liked it enough to buy a repeat while still available.

Or perhaps it was the time I orderred 3 G-Line AA's as Christmas gifts. It's been a few months so I'm not real sure.

SixCats!

Enlightened
This light has withstood the test of time and remains a good / popular choice for / with many today, despite having been around over 5 years. What I find just as amazing is that with all the no-name, Johnny come lately, jackleg, flash in the pan, fly-by-night (did I miss any?:), flashlight manufacturers around today, I'm not aware of any of those who have seized on that and done a real form / functional knockoff / copycat of this design. I know of only one other light that essentially checks all the same boxes as this one (excepting AAA [which is not an advertised feature of the 1L-1AA], but adding 16340), and it's not from any of the above referenced companies, and costs twice as much. I can't understand why none (apparently) have considered that they need a light to compete with the 1L-1AA, because clearly that space in the market still exists. I admit that I'm not up to date on all the product offerings from all the above manufacturers so I could be missing one (let me know please), but I don't recall seeing it if it's out there. It's not as if those companies don't do 'knockoffs / copycats', so I wonder why not this one?

Edit: After posting this, just for fun I pulled up this doc and it does appear there's a patent or two on that light; although I didn't get to finding out what it covers. I suppose it's possible there's something patentable about that 'dual fuel' arrangement and maybe that's inhibiting knockoffs. I wouldn't have thought so, but it might be a possible answer to my question.....?

Hi aznsx. Firstly Sir, I have to ask, do you own/drive a "NSX" ? If so, waaay cool! I must say, great minds think alike, that is to say, I too have thought about all the points you made regarding the 1L-1AA (multi cell type) light. It's hard to believe that (to the best of my knowledge) there isn't another light like this in the Market. At this point, I truly believe this Streamlight is the best light for the "Zombie apocalypse!" Now, if I could only find a 18650 Flashlight that (aside from using CR123's) could use AA's as well.

SixCats!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi aznsx. Firstly Sir, I have to ask, do you own/drive a "NSX" ? If so, waaay cool!

Yes Sir, I do - a '93 Blk. For one with a significant interest in cars to get to drive their favorite of all time is pretty special thing, and I consider myself VERY fortunate to have it. It's almost as special as my two kitties, and if you do / have lived with 6, I would call that "way cool" as well!:)

It's ridiculous that I don't yet have a 1L-1AA as it's been the 'next light' I planned to buy for a long time, but other things kept cutting in line. It'll almost certainly be next. It's a general type / format of light that I carry / use a lot, and with everything else it offers, including a Borofloat lens and FL1 2-meter impact rating, it's practically designed for me. It's also similar to and training-compatible with my 2L-X to boot and a perfect 'backup' to that light. Soon. I'm curious, so I'll try to chase that patent down some time to see if it might explain the lack of lights with that DF setup in the market. It is odd.

Oh, and thanx for that clip. That's a smile from way back!

AZNSX

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wait a second AZ, you don't have a 1L-1aa?

The 1L-1aa magic to go from rattle free CR123 to AA is stupid simple. I do hope they patened it though. Because it's such a marvelous idea.

When I first saw that one had arrived at Bright Guy I bought it. I had wanted some microstream clips for a while but at the time the S&H was more than a clip, so when the dual fuel Streamlight showed up their I tossed it in the cart with a few hat clips. The microstream clip fits all kinds of 1aaa lights.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Yes Sir, I do - a '93 Blk. For one with a significant interest in cars to get to drive their favorite of all time is pretty special thing, and I consider myself VERY fortunate to have it. It's almost as special as my two kitties, and if you do / have lived with 6, I would call that "way cool" as well!:)

It's ridiculous that I don't yet have a 1L-1AA as it's been the 'next light' I planned to buy for a long time, but other things kept cutting in line. It'll almost certainly be next. It's a general type / format of light that I carry / use a lot, and with everything else it offers, including a Borofloat lens and FL1 2-meter impact rating, it's practically designed for me. It's also similar to and training-compatible with my 2L-X to boot and a perfect 'backup' to that light. Soon. I'm curious, so I'll try to chase that patent down some time to see if it might explain the lack of lights with that DF setup in the market. It is odd.

Oh, and thanx for that clip. That's a smile from way back!

AZNSX

Oooh Man AZNSX, that is just too cool! How wonderful that you are able to enjoy such an awesome Car! I am truly happy for you! Ah yes, you must purchase the VERY utilitarian Streamlight 1L-1AA soon. Oooh, thanks for the comment regarding my Kitties! The Mrs. and I actually did have SIX Cats (at the same time) and then we adopted number seven. How we managed this (looking back) I'll never know lol. This was some time ago. The Mrs. and I have owned/cared for a total of thirteen/fourteen Kitties over the last forty years. I love Dogs as well but, as of now, it's just too much work/responsibility having a Dog. Cats for the most part are easy(ier) lol. This is "Zoe-Bear". ZB is a Chocolate Cornish Rex and a sweet lil' Girl (most of the time lol). Presently, I have three Cornish Rex and one Orange Tabby Tiger! Love em all.
1645404014896.jpeg
SixCats!