When is enough, enough?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been in a slump for the past three months, because I have a very nice collection, and nothing in the past three months has stricked my fancy.

The last ten lights that I bought:

40. Astrolux MF05 SBT90.2 8 x 18650 August 24, 2020. 5,000 lumens, 3,162 meters. 8 x 18650. Top led thrower.

41. BLF GT94 Oct 19, 2020. 4 x SBT90.2, 8 x 18650 button top. LOP. After a four year wait, the first light that has both more throw and more lumens than the X65.

42. Another BLF GT94 Nov 13, 2020. 4 x SBT90.2, 8 x 18650 button top. Smmoth. Arrived 14 days after I ordered it. This one is so I can have one in each hand, and feel the exhiliration.

43. HK90vn driver VNX2. Nov. 14, 2020. 3 x 21700 40T solder blob top, 3 x SBT 90.2. 14,000; 1732.

44. Another HK90, from FM BG. Nov. 19, 2020. A great medium-large size light.

45. Mateminco MT90 Plus vn, December 4, 2020. 5,500 lumens, 2.84 MCD, 3,371 meters throw. 8 x 18650. Upper end of led throw.

46. Another Nitewatch NSX53, Vn boosted, Dec. 24, 2020. 9,300 lumens, 444 meters throw.

47. Imalent MS06vn, Dec. 24, 2020. Small boost. 529 meters throw. 6 x 70.2, 3 x protected 21700. Handy flooder.

48. Astrolux (Mateminco) FT02S Dec. 28, 2020. Single 26650/21700/18650. 4 x XHP50.2 from a single cell. 11,000 lumens, 546 meters. Nice combination of throw and flood, at the same time.

49. Lumintop FW21aPro Vn 3 x 90.2, March 2, 2021. de lens, 8,500 lumens, 486 meters. Small multiple 90.2.

My lights.

ten5three

Newly Enlightened
Single emitter, 600lms and 6 hours on high, 3 months on a useful low, on an 18350, that looks like a Ti PDS or a Ti bitz, with a lucidrv2 or HDS UI. I'll be done then.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Maybe it`s the days getting longer or something, but I`v not bought or considered buying any more lights for the last few months, I seem to be happy where I`m at in terms of lights owned. We`ll see what next Autumn brings though. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Same here KA. Sometimes it's just fun to re-discover the light we don't use very often and go "hmmmm, that's a proper flashlight"…… (watched Luther last night so British slang is bouncing around in my head today)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Maybe it`s the days getting longer or something, but I`v not bought or considered buying any more lights for the last few months, I seem to be happy where I`m at in terms of lights owned. We`ll see what next Autumn brings though. :)

I've found that my use cases are more than adequately covered - walking dogs at night, project work around the house, patrolling my expansive ⅛-acre lot - and thus the urge is sated. It doesn't help that the few options I gave some attention to in the last 12 months - Noctigon KR4, KR1, K1, and the Lumintop FW21 Pro - are either near-duplicates (KR4 much like my D4's; KR1 much like my D1), or a bit much for my actual needs (K1 throws more than I'll ever need in the suburbs - more than I'll even need visiting the folks in the country; FW21 PRO a heck of a lot more lumens than dog-walking on fixed 6'/2m lead demands).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Over the last several years I'v purchased a bunch of lights (at great deals) for gifts.

Today, had a good think about how many & came up with 7~8 lights ready for gifts.
Combine that w/ my own light collection in use, well > you get the picture enough

Found one of my lights today I completely forgot about, a Thrunite T20 in neutral tint.
great little light

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider my collection small (by flashaholic standards), it's about 36 lights, which includes the lights in my car. I've thought about thinning them out, but I have a pretty eclectic collection and the only true duplicates I have are my HDS's (two white LED's and one Red LED). I do have a couple of AA lights coming and I'd really like a 1xAA McClicky pak.

I'd like to say that those will be my last, but you never know.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
When is enough, enough?

Also took me ~3yrs to winnow the excess and get to what worked best for me.

Malkoff drop-in M61 w/ a generic P60 host, crenelated ring, 18650 Li-Ion battery. Bright enough, reliable enough, and turns out it lasts long enough for me. For longer trips, I simply bring a 4-pack of recharged 18650 spares. Have several of these. They haven't failed me yet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Enough is enough.... when you get sick of this hobby to the point you can walk away with zero anxiety. Sick, or bored. With no 2nd thoughts at all. Also, don't let certain individuals ruin this hobby for you. I don't mean getting sick of them. I mean the hobby itself. A few months back, I disagreed with an individual on CPF whom I used to respect. I believed the feeling was mutual. Then I got a PM from him.

It was filled with 4-letter expletives, delusional ranting about a third CPF member, and a bizarre scheme to make me look bad in front of a certain Admin's eyes. And his delusional genuine belief that he had pulled off that scheme. Okay.... And, this is a member who goes out of his way to make himself look respectable, educated, and more than a bit high-brow on CPF. He then demanded that I not reply to him. Found out that several other members are also toxic. Funny how a planetary pandemic can bring out everyones' true colors.

Yet, I'm still here on CPF because thankfully the vast majority of its members are decent human-beings with a shared interest. So, enjoy the hobby. Don't waste your time with delusional members who are probably mentally unstable. CPF has an Ignore Button for a reason.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's some wisdom there in what you say, Mono. It's not like the 'bad apple' thing - they don't seem to spoil the whole barrel here. Like you, I try pretty hard to avoid letting them do that. Lotsa good apples around here!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I typically, but not always go through that cycle. When it's daylight out for up to 16 hours they aren't on my mind nearly as much.

Towards the late summer I start thinking about my light situation again.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I typically, but not always go through that cycle. When it's daylight out for up to 16 hours they aren't on my mind nearly as much.

Towards the late summer I start thinking about my light situation again.

Darkness is indeed a powerful influence...So much so that I just ordered another new light last night before the daylight hours get any longer and I can no longer use that justification. Perfectly reasonable logic. I don't have a problem:)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here !

lovecpf

I still love flashlights as much as EVER,
and have been a Flashaholic for well over 60 years now.

But I have come to the Realization that I now own
enough flashlights to last me a Lifetime,
plus several reincarnations.

Gonna' just enjoy the ones I've got.

One basic point which makes this process MUCH
easier for Me, is that I've never been captivated
by the idea of Maximum Lumens.

Truly 99% of my needs are nicely met
by a range of 0 to 99 Lumens.

So I've never been driven by BRIGHTER BRIGHTER BRIGHTER.

< not that there's anything Wrong with that . . . . >

:grouphug:
_

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought a metal shed since my wooden shed has seen better days. First thoughts were not where to put the work bench or the lawn mower but where to put the flashlights. Since it has a steel frame my brain started pondering magnetized work multi LED work lights. Oh I had a couple in stock but I'm pretty sure that next time I'm at sprawl mart or the auto parts store I'll be spying the magnetized work lights.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One basic point which makes this process MUCH
easier for Me, is that I've never been captivated
by the idea of Maximum Lumens./QUOTE]

Same. My D4's can produce more light than is useful to me, albeit for only a few seconds at a time. I could get more lumens for longer from the 'beer can' formfactor, but I can't really use that much in my daily life.

Ce Vre

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nicron N9, the 18650 1000 lumen brother of the N7. I've used an integrated micro USB rechargeable EBL battery off of Amazon 3,400mah 3.7v and unknown amps, but I'm assuming 10. I've recently purchased 4 Sony US18650VTC6 15amp 3000mah 4.2v peak battery. There's definitely a difference as I have a second N9 (first one acquired and annoying defect to the swivel) to compare and swap batteries too. Not a big difference, but immediately noticeable. Cleaner and larger center point and a little brighter. Concern is am I causing any damage to it? Gets much hotter and after roughly 20 seconds a high pitched ringing comes from it. Is this all overkill?