Where did all the oldtimers go.

axolotls

Enlightened
JonSidneyB said:
When I look out on CPF,

I see a sea of people who have been out here less than a year. It is good to have those people but I only seem to see a few posters that go back further than that. We seem to be missing many active people from the first couple of years of CPF. Where did everyone go? I miss many of the oldtimers.

who ya callin old? i ought'a ..i ought'a..

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wylie

Enlightened
Almost warm enough here to break another fishing rod with the sturgeon. I got a new R and D model I'll be breaking in this year. You should see this thing, one rod builder that seen the blank in North Carolina said it was Magic.
Screem drags and no snags!

Darell

Flashaholic
Icebreak said:
The white bass, stripers and hybrids are running. It's hard to stay at work today.
Hey! I just caught one of them hybrids last week! I had no idea they were running this time of year.

060215_rear.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Graham said:
Hmm, looks like Darell broke his image links too. Of course, his Freelight mod casts mine into shadow..

So this week, this old timer[/] who barely gets on any more, has read like one thread. This one. And look, I'm featured! And Graham's back!

Just for you, I stayed up late to dig up that picture from long, long ago.
clamp.jpg

InfidelCastro

Banned
Total noob here though my registration date is deceiving.

I only started becoming a 'regular' poster here about 6 months ago or so after the forum software upgrade.

I hated the old forum software. Had other interests at the time as well which consumed me much more. Electronics has been a consuming interest as of late.

Been into computers and things of that nature for about 8 years now, but never really got much deeper into actual electrical devices until recently.

Last edited:

rscanady

Enlightened
:bow: :bow: :bow: :thanks: to all the "old timers", I cant imagine what this place would be like without your pathfinding!

Ryan

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear from the old timers, back when duct tape was a mod :thumbsup:

As a "mid-timer" in CPF speak, it is fun to look back when anything with a Luxeon was hot... Arc AAA's ruled the world and McGizmo started playing around with a lathe. Harrassed Wayne into building sandwiches and the blinding feeling when the minimag was first fired up.

Years later, I still like the modded lights and customs. MillerMods, Andrew Wynn and DSpeck are getting my money this year. Still don't have a Surefire but behold the power of a modded mag! My lighting needs have almost reached saturation but there is always a mod out there to make it a little brighter, a little longer runtime and a little more interesting.

In ten years, my friends will look at my original minimag mod and laugh... then I can sip my mint julep, lean back in my rocker for one of those "back in the day" stories of a 5D Mag punching the amps to a weird creation called the Cyan luxeonV and minimags that did not heat up tungsten.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't the first sandwiches have fruit names green apple or somethin' or was it just different colors for different drive levels.I remember supplying my coworkers with sandwiches when there was only the arc ls out there.:whistle:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Christoph said:
Didn't the first sandwiches have fruit names green apple or somethin' or was it just different colors for different drive levels.I remember supplying my coworkers with sandwiches when there was only the arc ls out there.:whistle:

Christoph,
Yes, I recall they were named yellow (400mA), green (500mA) and violet (666mA) or something like that. I was always partial to the green 500mA BBs... The first time I cranked up a BB500 minimag... I knew this new hobby would cost me a lot of money before I was done!
Just checked the sandwich shoppe thread and those posts go back to August 2002! Wonder what happened to Tater Rocket?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Christoph,
Been reading the Sandwich Shoppe thread about everything you wanted to know about Madmax, Badboy etc and came about my first post concerning my BB500 minimag! Here is a flashback from the past!

Hey Wayne,
I am back from my travels and my BB500 Mag with Kroll switch has blinded quite a few folks!
smile.gif
Some guy asked me were to get one (he hunts and loves the BB500) I told him they are not exactly production and how many does he need. He told me he wanted a thousand of them .... I told him who you were and about CPF so.... hmmmmm, why would a hunter want a thousand of them? He offered me some serious $$$ for the BB500 but, no dice!
smile.gif
Gotta love your first LS, sorta like your first love (after 5-10 minutes it is warm like your first love) Now for a Wizard with a 5W SE....

That was posted in December, 2002... and luxeons still get warm like your first love. :)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, my last old thread resurrection. It is just great to see the names of who was around oh so long ago.

Now that is some serious thread necromancy! Skimming through this did bring back a few memories. This place has grown quite a bit. From a few hobbyist geeks, to kinda even being almost mainstream. I've seen reviews posted here referenced in brocures and ads.

fasteddie

Enlightened
Member #669 here. I'd say that makes me an old timer. Kind of a second wave old timer. There's at least 11K members now.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was member #33...KenB. Later I upgraded myself to the way cool Badbeams. I also found this place through Brock`s site...THANKS BROCK :broke:

I lose interest every so often...come back again...cycle. I learned to type here. Along with acheiving my now perfect spelling.

Nothing much to add...still a fun place. Still broke.

Regarding DavidW...last I knew he was in Tampa Florida working as a salesman at a Ford dealership on Dale Mabry hwy.

I would love to remenise but need to go wash my face...take my wrinkle cream off :wave: