Where did all the oldtimers go.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Please do not transition away from CPF. I started a year or so ahead of you, and it got different over time, but it was worth the stay for me. In the long haul CPF has been very worth while for me, and the people here are just great, so continue back to CPF and be one of the great ones that make it worth while to be here.

Bill

Agreed, I was heavily addicted to CPF when I first came here & then left for two years. Somehow I'm back..... :thinking: I'm sure there's many others like this. I'm sure I'll disappear again & then be back again. :shrug: Some things are just too good to leave behind.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I just wanted to post to state my appreciation for the 'old hands' who are still here & helping us noobs with timeless good advice - you didn't get this far without learning a lot about this hobby. Your time & help are always appreciated. :wave:

Thank you,
K

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For us oldtimers:

Remember the various mania periods we've gone through? Examples:

Arc Mania - all things Arc, the LS and AAA craze - regulated! hi-dome lux!

My first Arc LS was one of the "hybrids." Then came the LSL and the LSH-P. This is where I learned the tactic of selling one expensive light in order to fund the next one. :D

I still have an original design Arc AAA (from before the 2003-2004 quality problems) that I'm keeping as a shelf queen.

Minimag Mod Mania - Sammies! Bad boys! Opalec!

I had some of those, too. That was when you couldn't buy a decent production LED light that would run on AA batteries.

SF A2 Mania - get several so you can have the different led colors!

If I remember correctly, there were a lot of complaints about the A2 -- its lateness and its price. Now it's very well respected.

MicroE

Enlightened
Time was, one could keep tabs on everything happening at CPF with a bit of regular attention...

I don't even try to keep up now.
I stop by once or twice a week to read a couple of threads on new lights. With two kids, two jobs and other hobbies, it is impossible to keep current.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Bump
I like to think I'm an old timer. Not on CPF but in life. It's nice to hear people reminisce. Good memories should be treasured. Nuff said.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I recently reacquired one I'd given to my mother years ago. The tint on the LED is rotten cat urine green! :D :eek:oo:
Eew :sick2: LOL

I don't know what is more revolting. The fact that someone would keep track of cat **** to know it has a green color, or that someone would add on their disgust as if they recognized the horror of the color also.

Back when I had cats, all I ever saw was dark spots in the litter box.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a small stash of Arc LSes and never found the inner strenght to modify my First Run... of that exact tint of green you mentioned...
BTW is good to see, seven years later (for me) that love for lights never ends.

Anthony

Sharp

Enlightened
Unlike some, I was introduced to the forum through my dad, a fellow flashaholic. He introduced me in this never-ending quest for enlightenment at the inappropriate age of 16. I joined the forum a couple of years later and posted whenever I felt I could make a contribution.
I have taken a break from the forum but as others have said, you eventually look at yourself and realise you are still a flashaholic at heart. But I guess that having as an EDC three torches on myself and two in the bag with enough batteries to last me a week is a bit of a giveaway in any case.

I have to agree with many points made on here. CPF definitely used to be tighter-knit and friendlier. Back then you would log in to firstly have a laugh and an insight on the CPF world and then to share the geekdom of flashaholicism with users you would recognise all the time. When I was not on CPF I would be on Craig's review website.
I remember a time when having an ArcAAA around your neck or anywhere near your body was the Flashaholic's initiation. Old freeze tests come to mind as well, driving over Inova X5s, regarding Princeton Tec's Xenoid polymer as the best thing after Surefire's Hard Anodisation, and the mighty tradeoffs between a Krypton bulb and a Xenon bulb...

There are still elements of that friendliness today in CPF although scale has had an impact. Changes in technology are also to consider to explain this change! Back then, High Dome and Low Dome were the big things. You used Xenon incandescence for colour rendition and throw. You used High Domes if you wanted the throw and concentrated beam and a low dome for good spill. With today's variety, after a few months' hiatus, it took me a week or so to wrap my head around the R2, R4 and R5 LEDs, the Cree MC-E, and so on.
Today mods are much more labour intensive and involve a number of components that come out every month or sooner. Back then I remember feeling like an all-powerful flashmaster for helping my dad make a modified Princeton Tec Blast which used the 3LED drop-in made for the Maglite AA.

With times changing however, it is good to see that the love of torches is still around. People, whatever the reasons, still join the search for enlightenment (and the financial and marriage repercussions that come with it). It is obvious how CPF has contributed to the development of torches, batteries, LEDs and circuitry worldwide. It is therefore welcome to see how the forum grows and continues to provide a basis for the continued development.
I, for one, am expanding my collection and find myself EDCing Fenix torches rather than the old trustworthy Surefires. It came as a bit of a shock when I had to move on and realise there was a whole new world of torches out there!

Regards,
Richard

Last edited:

Lord Bear

Enlightened
I don't know what is more revolting. The fact that someone would keep track of cat **** to know it has a green color, or that someone would add on their disgust as if they recognized the horror of the color also.

To eliminiate seeing dark spots, don't look into the working end of a....aww, I'll bet you know the punchline already. :nana:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOLOL! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF definitely used to be tighter-knit and friendlier. Back then you would log in to firstly have a laugh and an insight on the CPF world and then to share the geekdom of flashaholicism with users you would recognise all the time. When I was not on CPF I would be on Craig's review website.
I remember a time when having an ArcAAA around your neck or anywhere near your body was the Flashaholic's initiation. Old freeze tests come to mind as well, driving over Inova X5s, regarding Princeton Tec's Xenoid polymer as the best thing after Surefire's Hard Anodisation, and the mighty tradeoffs between a Krypton bulb and a Xenon bulb...

There are still elements of that friendliness today in CPF although scale has had an impact.

I agree as well. Even 4 years ago when I first joined there were some very nice people, but they have long since faded away, had major changes in their lives or moved on to other things. Today it just seems like every other member is hell bent on getting the best and brightest LED, and if you don't have it you "suck". Sadly it makes me feel like I'm in high school all over again... but c'est la vie.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys....

I just found this thread again, after first posting in it years ago. An enjoyable and highly nostalgic trip through times past, to say the least.

I was fortunate to first join when the CPF was still pretty young, and over the subsequent years have spent many, many enjoyable hours here. Cyberspace friendships were created that will forever withstand the tests of time. The CPF essentially became, and always will be, a part of me.

Time changes everything, though. I still frequent the CPF almost daily, but now more as an observer than an active poster. I commend Kelly in the efforts she went through in the past years to save the CPF from drifting off into oblivion...and to then make it thrive into the even bigger cyber presence that it is today. Kelly...kudos to you for a job well done!

I also am pleased to see that the passage of time has brought to the CPF legions of newer members who now are the key contributors to this great forum. I take great comfort in seeing that the proverbial baton has been passed to such a worthy group of passionate people.

I`ll still regularly visit the CPF and occaisionally speak up. And, as always, when I do the pleasure will be all mine!

Long live the CPF...and my continued best wishes to the nicest group of kind and eclectic souls to ever assemble in cyberspace!

:thumbsup: :grouphug:

Last edited:

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me, or do I see a lot less of the 'oldtimers'?

Where is everybody? Drop in and say Hi :wave:

cy

Flashaholic
hey Nekomane... long time no talk... hope things are going well

nbp

Flashaholic
I would agree. I was just thinking of this thread the other day. I don't see a lot of posts from the the members who joined in the c. '00-'04 era, which is kinda what I consider the "old-timers". Some days it seems all the members posting have joined in the last year or so and I feel like an old timer, with just four years here, although I certainly don't feel I deserve that title. :candle:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started reading this thread and was several posts in before I realized it was started before I even joined.

I cant speak for the truly "old timers" but there have been drastic changes here on CPF just since I joined.

When I arrived here just a few short years ago was on what I caught the tail end of the incan hot wire explosion. Where everyday chatter was about Mag 85 and 64623. Man am I glad I had the privilege to be here for that.

I think that the past 2 years since LED tech has finally reached the point it can compete with the 3,4, and 5000+ lumen hot wires has caused the either to wear off a bit for some.

Even more that than I think the craze of "all things production" has disenchanted some as well.

What I mean by that is one thing a member that I learned hordes from in my early days said specifically. That he was trading in his flashlights for a fishing pole because anything we could come up with here at CPF now would be in a production light weeks later.

Man this has been some ride.... I hope the next few years bring bout the many rapid changes that the past few have.. . :)