Where did all the oldtimers go.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's great to see all these old names from the past. I learned so much from you guys. Back before I found this place it was Craig at the LED Museum that really sparked my interest in LED lights. If you still lurk here, I salute you for your mountain of work(which I just revisited and should be seen by those who haven't), and always entertaining posts. Quickbeam is another who's reviews guided most of us oldtimers. If he didn't like something I'd cross it off my list. And then there was Roy with his runtime reviews. I spent hours studying them. Bet he's still watching from his lofty perch. Thanks, all.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's great to see all these old names from the past. I learned so much from you guys. Back before I found this place it was Craig at the LED Museum that really sparked my interest in LED lights. If you still lurk here, I salute you for your mountain of work(which I just revisited and should be seen by those who haven't), and always entertaining posts. Quickbeam is another who's reviews guided most of us oldtimers. If he didn't like something I'd cross it off my list. And then there was Roy with his runtime reviews. I spent hours studying them. Bet he's still watching from his lofty perch. Thanks, all.

I learned from you. :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked - I am member 96175. I guess I am not a real oldtimer, but I have been here for quite a while. I started reading here in the fall of 2008 after I saw this video where the forum was mentioned. In contrast to many other people I didn't come here because I actually needed a flashlight. I just found all the information very fascinating. During that time LED lights were becoming sufficiently bright for many tasks because of the Cree XR-E. People made a big deal about having R2-binned XR-Es which were slightly brighter than the Q5-binned ones. After maybe 6-8 weeks of reading I decided to buy my first modern LED light - a Fenix TK-20. I still own it. This is interesting because it was the first officially neutral tinted led flashlight from a manufacturer. It had great influence on my preference of color temperatures and tints. I continued to read a lot during the next year, but never really felt the urge to write something myself. In the fall of 2009 I bought my second led light - a Jetbeam M1X. It was my first "really bright" light with about 450 otf lumens. In retrospect I regret buying it because it had a number of technical downsides. My technical knowledge was limited back then compared to now. I eventually replaced the led with a neutral one and sold the light around two and a half years after buying it. In these first few years I was mainly interested in led lights. After 1 1/2 years of reading I decided to join the forum and also post my thoughts. It has been five years now (over six of reading). Two years later I joined the German TLF Forum where I am much more active. There my interest in modded, fully optomized lights was sparked. My collection grew much faster after joing there. Although it is still quite small compared to those of many others (around 10 quality lights).

Two years ago I got interested in hotwires and really wanted a custom, regulated one for myself. Druing that time I read a lot of old threads on the topic and eventually aquired all the parts for my own light. A timeless classic compared to many LED lights.

Last edited:

openbolt1

Enlightened
Member since 2008. Not sure if that qualifies me. Things are more these days. More lumens, more lights, more manufacturers. I've not kept up with all the latest lights. I remember when being cool was walking around with a MilkySpit EDC. Still is.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Member No. 314 reporting in.

When I joined many moons ago, we were all just getting use to wearing shoes, so to speak. Now...that footwear issue is long gone!

Long live the CPF...one of the nicest group of kind-hearted, eclectic souls ever assembled in cyberspace!

:grouphug:

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
This "oldtimer" is looking forward to the Surefire AAA light that hits 300 lumens!!

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I can still remember when people would say " OMG!!!!! LED LIGHT.. COLD LIGHT" people really believed leds produced zero heat. now I have a few led lights that get too hot to hold in 3 minutes. lol

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can still remember when people would say " OMG!!!!! LED LIGHT.. COLD LIGHT" people really believed leds produced zero heat. now I have a few led lights that get too hot to hold in 3 minutes. lol

I use to think THAT! :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ironic when I read this thread I suddenly had a thought.... when it started I was a newbie only here for a year.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its been a while, where the old timers at?

You might be an oldtimer if.....

A 15 lumen luxeon star was the brightest LED when you joined CPF and it took 3AAs to power it.
Your first ''nice'' flashlight was a Photon Micro or Inova X5

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only do I remember those blazing 15 lumen stars, but also that cold blue white was desired because A)you got 2 extra lumens out of it and B) It was uber-cool because you were getting the same output as a 2D Maglite but it seemed so much brighter, and C) it wasn't the dreaded, "pee green".

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only do I remember those blazing 15 lumen stars, but also that cold blue white was desired because A)you got 2 extra lumens out of it and B) It was uber-cool because you were getting the same output as a 2D Maglite but it seemed so much brighter, and C) it wasn't the dreaded, "pee green".

I had a few pea/pee greens.

I still have my Streamlight Luxeon Jr clickie

Stream

Enlightened
I still have my Streamlight Luxeon Jr clickie

The Streamlight Luxeon Jr was my first LED flashlight, and I still have it. Back in 2004 it was considered one of the best 2xAA LED flashlights by many here! "What is the ultimate AA flashlight?" was probably my first thread on this forum lol. Sure brings back memories.