Where did all the oldtimers go.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first came here to mod a headlamp with a P4 ;)
Been a while and I'm still into it.
I'm generally not a forum guy but for some weird reason I love this place haha.
I looked FOREVER for Wonderlites Fivemega bodies in the new mall and just found his website thru Google.
Kinda miss CPFMP but I do REALLY like the CPF app - especially since tapatalk sucked post 2014.
Cheerz everyone.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While i dont see myself as a oldtimer,
I am still lurking and enjoy the hobby.
My primary interest is the old stuff.
The new stuff seems to lack the Soul
of the quality lights made back in the day.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who join lately don't know the thrill of building a budding technology collection. When I started, it was awesome to see the introduction of 1W, then 3W, then 5W LEDs and hope the luxeon lottery was kind to you. Led drop ins for mag became the best, combining led with mags quality build and availability. Eneloops and quality chargers changed so much, allowing hot wires to be king. Multimode led lights were innovative. Li-ion was new and pioneered by Wolf Eyes and Pila. Individual modders were forum gods. Improvements to led efficiency mushroomed into better lights. There were really only a handful of really decent lights at one time. Remember caring a lot about the exact bin your single or multiple 5mm led light used?

Now, with a plethora of 18650, internal/external charging, power port, tint choice, Multimode, small, UI choices, affordable, dependable, mission designed flashlights, headlamps and lanterns, it's a great time to be a flashaholic and CPF member.

But it's a touch bittersweet, too. You don't know the fun you've missed.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
People who join lately don't know the thrill of building a budding technology collection. When I started, it was awesome to see the introduction of 1W, then 3W, then 5W LEDs and hope the luxeon lottery was kind to you. Led drop ins for mag became the best, combining led with mags quality build and availability. Eneloops and quality chargers changed so much, allowing hot wires to be king. Multimode led lights were an innovative. Li-ion was new and pioneered by Wolf Eyes and Pila. Individual modders were forum gods. Improvements to led efficiency mushroomed into better lights. There were really only a handful of really decent lights at one time. Remember caring a lot about the exact bin your single or multiple 5mm led light used?

Now, with a plethora of 18650, internal/external charging, power port, tint choice, Multimode, small, UI choices, affordable, dependable, mission designed flashlights, headlamps and lanterns, it's a great time to be a flashaholic and CPF member.

But it's a touch bittersweet, too. You don't know the fun you've missed.

+1.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
While i dont see myself as a oldtimer,
I am still lurking and enjoy the hobby.
My primary interest is the old stuff.
The new stuff seems to lack the Soul
of the quality lights made back in the day.

My thoughts exactly!

scout24

Flashaholic
Jeffb- Your avatar photo was probably more than a little influental in my 005 quest back when I got here. #0013 still in the collection, and it does have seoul! P4, that is. (With the STFU board.)

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scout! I remember (fortunately) you and many others that have contributed to this thread and I enjoyed interacting with.. I now have #08 005 with STFU and P4, a great LED. I remember helping with the posts and upgrade threads for the 005, still my favorite light. (had Ti 007, but prefer the 005) I have had most of the McGizmo creations at one time or another and many of Enriques' (Muyshondt) and had many enjoyable conversations with both. CPF was about modding and Customs (Surefire and Arc, too!). Spent a lot of time here from 2004 -2009 and was away for many years. I still enjoy seeing the lights and reading about the LED's and technology. Like all things, CPF has changed, as things always do!! Mr Bulk sure garnered a lot of attention, in those days and I have a Lionheart from the original thread.........
good to reminisce occasionally, too. Scout, Thanks for your post.

gunga

Flashaholic
I remember back in the day, when I joined, I got my awesome Fenix L1T, but like a week later the new models came out with a new cutting edge LED. It was twice as bright as anything else. It was the immortal Cree XRE. (2006).

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
5v9emb.jpg

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Lol!! Someone that's been on here almost as long as me. :) (Funny, I have many of the same lights you do...can't bring myself to sell them...)
You know, I have that same problem... I just can't bring myself to sell them. Heck, I still have the Dorcy copy of the TurtleLite I that I fill from time to time, just to compare it to my Nitecore EA41. You know, to see the difference 15 years can make in the output of one LED powered by 4 AA batteries. :)

fyrstormer

Banned
Dunno if I count as an old-timer yet, but I've been busy throwing my money at my RC collection for the past 3 years. I seemed to hit a critical-mass of knowledge, expertise, and spare parts in 2015, because my collection absolutely exploded last year. I have 27 vehicles now, one of which is an airplane with a 5-foot wingspan. It uses a discontinued rotary engine, the only one ever made for RC use, which I have three spares for. In the past month I've been selling spare parts that I'd been accumulating since last summer, all of which were sold at a loss, and still recouped over a thousand dollars. All of that has been spent on new parts, some upgrades and some spares. I've had to make a no-new-vehicles rule, but that's not too hard to enforce because 1) I bought all the vehicles I wanted just before implementing that rule, and 2) I'm out of shelf space. I'm going to be paying-off all that stuff for a long time. It sounds financially unwise, but after a series of severe panic attacks in 2013-2015, I realized that if I die tomorrow I'd rather die having had the opportunity to own the toys I've wanted since I was a kid instead of dying debt-free.

Last edited: