Where did all the oldtimers go.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
So, I've never had a soda can light, but I just got a deal on a Fenix LR40R, which reminded me to check in here! Hi everyone!

daloosh

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of the changes and growth of CPF over time, I was just doing a search, and read my first post here in the Cafe.
It was October of 2002, and I was suggesting supporter icons to encourage donations to the site.
DavidW was trying to sell a bunch of SF G2s(well, gift them in exchange for $50 donations) to help swing another bandwidth upgrade. He'd already upgraded from 25 to 35GB/mo, and CPF had just exceeded 35GB.
That sounds like such a tiny number, now. I googled, and saw 50GB recommended for an active blog.
'Course we were paying for cell phone packages by minutes and browsing the internet from home on dial-up back then.

I joined that year, and was member #456.
As of this moment, there are 335,989 members...

Poppy

Flashaholic
Owen, I hadn't realized that you were here that long. I'm glad you are still active.

I remember dialup. It was terrible! Finally I got a DSL line... man that was lightning fast in comparison. I even ran my own linux based server.

akula88

Enlightened
Decade and years... on and off... been back on since 2018. Lurking and sometimes posting...

... and heavily lurking (and most of the time, late) at the WTS section -- but still looking for my a second Surefire E1e... :) back then it was 'pricey', now it's even 'pricey-ier' :(

ckeilah

Newly Enlightened
I'm still here, and still looking for the perfect flashlight. :p I've used my TM06S for years, but recently switched to an MS06W. I'm not really sure it's an improvement, as the brightness at the center point seems to be about the same. The Imalent definitely throws more light, but it's spread out more. I wish somebody would make a beer can flashlight with a FOCUS ring, so I could have a nice bright floodlight, or a piercing spotlight in one device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF had existed a little over 4 years by the time I got here, so I'm not in that category of the oldest of old timers. However, I did arrive toward the beginning of the most exciting time, and it went uphill from there.

Many things have changed, and are quite different now, but I'll always love this place. Long live CPF, and may us old timers stick around for a while longer. There is still fun to be had.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I look out on CPF,

I see a sea of people who have been out here less than a year. It is good to have those people but I only seem to see a few posters that go back further than that. We seem to be missing many active people from the first couple of years of CPF. Where did everyone go? I miss many of the oldtimers.
Hey Jon,
Crazyeddiethefirst here. After a 4-5 year hiatus, to serious health issues(emergency spinal surgery for MRSA infected spinal hardware & told I had 6 months to live), I am finally starting to recover & hope to be back soon. Still have an amazing collection but have slowed down a lot. I shall return! Or was it "I'll be back"….

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I am getting close to being one of the "old timers". I find that with many forums, they go in cycles. Fast past at the beginning then phases out. I still check in occassionally. Currently back on the hunt for 1 or 2 lights. So may be back here more often for a while. More of a lurker now. As for the lights, one would be a Minion, the other I cannot state, as the builder may or may not have told me another is coming soon to the public.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a real old-timer like others but I am still checking the forum from time to time. Nice to see some known names still around :).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ever wonder what happened to that old selfbuilt guy? ;)

I know this thread hasn't been active for a couple of years, but it seemed fitting to resurrect it to announce my (limited) return to flashlight reviewing.

My last flashlight review was almost six and a half years ago ... my how time has flown! I've lurked periodically over the years, and am glad to see so many "old-timers" from my era still present here. I had moved on to another hobby for awhile, which has been winding down for me these last couple of years (https://whiskyanalysis.com/).

Anyway, I recently dusted off my old lightbox, and have been working on some new flashlight reviews lately. I am just about ready to start posting again. Nothing too grand, as I don't have the time I used to - but hopefully you will find the new reviews to be a small but valuable contribution. I'll be posting a new thread in the reviews forum shortly, once I'm ready to provide more info.

It's great to be back everyone!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
My last flashlight review was almost six and a half years ago ... my how time has flown! I've lurked periodically over the years, and am glad to see so many "old-timers" from my era still present here. I had moved on to another hobby for awhile, which has been winding down for me these last couple of years (https://whiskyanalysis.com/).

Welcome back to the more active side of CPF selfbuilt!

I have taken a break for a while....maybe a decade or more. Life gets busy and other hobbies come up.

I will definitely spend some time on your whisky site! I have a son, he is named Hibiki (yes it is very interesting running around the Yamazaki distillery repeating a small childs name that also happens to be one of their whiskys LoL.)