where should i purchase my flashlights? can i trust online sites? advice needed

stevenn21

Newly Enlightened
hi ppl i live in the uk and am new to purchasing flash lights and have a few questions i need answering and general advice about buying online.

i am going to be buying an olight sr96 online next tuesday and have found it at[link removed by OP] for £389.
i beleive this is the official uk site for olight and am pretty sure it will be genuine coming from here.
however i must admit my head has been 'turned' by other websites offering the same item at a lower price.

for example i found the olight sr96 on ebay here [link removed by OP] for £216.39 it does come from china.

there is also one on ebay from america which is cheaper than the rrp but i want one with a uk plug so thats not an option.
this one on ebay is for £349 from here in the uk [link removed by OP]
the lowest price i found it at was for the measly price of £278.13 here [link removed by OP]
but i dont thik i trust this website

do people sell fakes/clones/copies of torches advertising them as the real thing, has anyone come across anything like this before?
which online sites can i trust and which can i not trust?

thanking you in advance kindest regards stevenn21

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Well that last website ships from Israel, if I read correctly. Simple as it is, I recommend to order at a official dealer. Contact Olight (China) and asked them, if they can give you a official dealer in the UK.
If it's too good.. it probably isn't.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to say exactly. I would caution you on Ebay. You really need to pay attention. I see many knock offs of some of the Big brands like Surefire. Also, what if you have a problem with the light? I would think that it may be worth a few extra $$ to have good service & a valid warranty. I have bought from all kinds of places over the years.
Now, I find myself not always looking for the best prices. I look for the best Value. Know what I mean? Value to me is the whole package, depending on what I buy: Product, Service, Price.
Now that I reread what I typed, it reminds me of the ol, "You get what you pay for" thing.

Yes they sell fakes ALL the time on the bay. I report the auctions every time I see them. There is one for a Surefire going right now. I reported the last listing. But he keeps resisting under different names. Same pics & descriptions. Bay didn't take it down, someone won the item and OVERPAID & likely is going to be very let down (maybe). lol
You have to do your research. I am not aware of Olight having a huge counterfeit problem. Others may know better. Usually the larger companies have issues.

Sorry that was so repetitive. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

BTW< you may want to take down the links to outside sales. Mods don't like that too much.

Ok, that all being said. I saw your other post about looking for a light. Pls, Contact this member and see what he has. His modded lights will fit what you are looking for.
Vinhnguyen54

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
which online sites can i trust and which can i not trust?

You can get your lights from reputable CPF dealers, most offer coupons to CPF members. The list is over at Market Place in Good Deals, but you have to sign up first.

stevenn21

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the advice guys ive decided to get the TrustFire CREE LED Flashlight 13000 Lumen on ebay i know its not really 13000 lumen but it looks around 4000 just dipping my toe in at first what do you guys think of it for a first buy the item number is 291044304647

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy to answer this,buy your stuff from a reputable dealer based in the UK such as Flashaholics or Heinne.If possible pay by credit card and not a debit card as a person living in the UK you get extra protection paying with a credit card.

By all means buy from abroad but watch the scam artists and yes there dozens of fakes out there.

Common sense should rule,if you are parting with just a few £quid it is worth a shot on China,substantial £coinage stick to the UK.

ColdZero

Newly Enlightened
I can totaly recomend Flashaholics or Heinnie Haynes here in the Uk...fantastic service from them both every single time.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
thanks for the advice guys ive decided to get the TrustFire CREE LED Flashlight 13000Lumen on ebay i know its not really 13000 lumen but it looks around 4000 just dipping my toe in at first what do you guys think of it for a first buy the item number is 291044304647

Looks like the brightness of that will depend what cells you are using, get decent cells (not anything ending with ****Fire) and a decent charger. Li-ion cells can misbehave if mistreated.

The light looks like it will be the typical cheaply made type, you may or may not suffer from a whole host of issues, from crappy threads to mis-centred LED's to poor soldering- then again, you might be fine and not suffer from any problems - it's pot luck what you get but those kind of lights are highly likely to have an irritating user interface (ie, comes on in next mode, have to cycle through SOS and strobe etc)

Get a cheap multi-meter so you can check the voltage of your cells and help to trouble shoot problems with the light.

Personally, if I was after a crazy amounts of lumens, at a good price I'd be picking up one of Vinh's creations.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Personally, if I was after a crazy amounts of lumens, at a good price I'd be picking up one of Vinh's creations." DITTO!!!!!!!! I should have just posted that earlier. lol

Yup, thats what I was trying to say too. I enjoy all the vn lights I have obtained. I have scored some used ones on trade and all I can say, is "Day Good fo da money"! :)

Steven, keep us posted. Follow gravelmonkey's suggestion on chargers & batteries too. I like the NiteCore I4 for the $$.

stevenn21

Newly Enlightened
thanks again guys now about batteries and chargers i have no idea what to get if you go on youtube and type "TrustFire 13000 Lumen flashlight review!" it gives a bit more info on what batteries work better but its very basic saying use the *****fire batteries so i dont want to use them which batteries should i buy?

i looked at the NiteCore I4 on amazon and the reveiws said it chargers very well should i get the same brand batteries?
what size batteries? voltage ect..ect should i buy the NiteCore I4 on ebay?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget when buying from outside of the EU to factor in that you may have to pay VAT and import duties. Sometimes those overseas prices don't look so good once you have paid up for everything.

Flashaholics and HH - Nothing more required for peace of mind buying.

mward94

Newly Enlightened
I have dealt with hkequipment on eBay on several occasions and so have several other candlepowerforum users. He is a dealer in China and is legit with great prices.

stevenn21

Newly Enlightened
which batteries what voltage miliamp? size? im not sure
i bought a zero tolerance tactical knife from HH a few years back i agree quality service

stevenn21

Newly Enlightened
can i use a 18650 to 26650 Battery Converter Case Sleeve Adapter? what type of battery make mA volt ect

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
Try these- ENERPOWER 26650 protected 3.7V 4500 mAh. Available on Amazon UK made in Germany with Tensai cells.
Not cheap but probably the best of the current crop . Also look at Foursevens 26650 protected 3900mAh available from Flashaholics in the UK with a CPF discount. HKJ has a comprehensive review of numerous batteries see lygte-info. on this forum.

stevenn21

Newly Enlightened
Try these- ENERPOWER 26650 protected 3.7V 4500 mAh. Available on Amazon UK made in Germany with Tensai cells.
Not cheap but probably the best of the current crop . Also look at Foursevens 26650 protected 3900mAh available from Flashaholics in the UK with a CPF discount. HKJ has a comprehensive review of numerous batteries see lygte-info. on this forum.
wow those ENERPOWER are more expensive than the aw 3.7v 3400mAh 18650
i intend on buying better quality torches in the future so i might as well invest in a good set of batteries which batteries would you recommend which will fit in my future torches as well? 18650 protected at least 4500mAh

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow those ENERPOWER are more expensive than the aw 3.7v 3400mAh 18650
i intend on buying better quality torches in the future so i might as well invest in a good set of batteries which batteries would you recommend which will fit in my future torches as well? 18650 protected at least 4500mAh

The highest capacity for 18650s currently are at 3600mAh. There are none that exceeds that whether protected or unprotected. Unless you meant 26650s.

Latest posts