Which adult cartoons are the best, and which are the worst?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Been a long time since I last watched Davey and Goliath, but Moral Orel is definitely satirizing it ... almost 50 years later. Unfortunately, Moral Orel is absurdly heavy-handed relative to Davey and Goliath's light touch and overall plausible settings that I just can't enjoy it very much as a result. Perhaps the creators claim that they used the style of Davey and Goliath so they could use something familiar as a springboard for satire of more modern social currents, but it just comes off as mean-spirited.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The granddaddy of 'em all:

iba8JwfvuyPdOP.jpg

Way back in high school, in the kids-who-don't-do-their-homework class, a couple of guys and I found ourselves with one of the school TV/VCR sets while the rest of the school was away at a pep rally; we were far too cool to be bothered with such things, so it was just a matter of finding something to do with the TV. There was a recordable VHS tape sitting with it that just had "Akira" handwritten on the spine, so it was "I guess we're watching this.." It starts up, and it turns out to be a cartoon - all we have to watch is a cartoon?! And then came the scene where the protester gets shot in the street, and it was stunned silence and awe for the next two hours..

your story reminds me of the first time i saw a maturely theme animated movie. i grew up on bugs bunny, tom and jerry, and later on teenage mutant ninja turtles.
(fast forward to the 90s)
i was in high school, and it was the last few days before summer vacation. so there was a lot of free time for the students.
my friend happened to have a VHS copy of "Ninja Scroll" in his bag, and popped it into the VCR. needless to say, i was blown away! the production, action, adult themes, plot made for a great movie.
that was the start of me watching more anime. most didnt impress me, but there are some really good ones, and it does get kind of hard to find with so many series out there.

avatar the last airbender, although targeted more towards older children was a very enjoyable series to watch, i sat down to watch an episode with my niece and was hooked LoL. one of the best animated series ive seen in a long time.
the last airbender movie blew chunks though, it was just flat out horrible, over dramatic, and boring.

akira is a classic! a friend and i watched it after renting it from a video store. i remember the movie being long, but it grabs your attention and doesnt let go.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have noticed that R&M has skyrocketed in popularity over the last few months.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Flintstones was possibly the original adult cartoon.

They drank cactus juice, threw wild poolside parties and at one point were sponsored by Winston, the cigarette company. It was kinda like a cartoon version of the Honeymooners. A Simpsons long before the Simpsons.

That was back at a time when Looney Tunes could get away with adult humor while entertaining the kids. Adult cartoons anymore just seek out to crush once upon a time taboos. That's fine n dandy for some, yet largely become attempts to out Simpon the Simpsons or just shock a few religious leaders in attempts to gain ratings by garnering attention to more of the same-ole-sameness.

Folks who were entertained with cartoons like Underdog or "Moose and Squirrel" as kids, then as adults realized how many things had passed over our heads as kids were the lucky ones in my view. Once the novelty of Beavis & Butthead wore off I've seen those new adult cartoons as dull and lifeless.