Which multi-tool in your BOB.

Moka

Enlightened
My BOB Multi-tool is a Leatherman Core and the Bitdriver extension set as well. Does pretty much all I need and the core is heavy enough to take most of what I throw at it...

markr6

Flashaholic
Leatherman Wingman. For about $22, I don't mind if it doesn't get used much (and it doesn't). Nice for a pack or BOB, too heavy for EDC. For EDC I use my Squirt PS4.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a like new old Leatherman first generation Super Tool from the MarketPlace and it immediately went into my BOB stash.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Leatherman in the big bob, and a Gerber in the small.

...... No idea the models :D
They are by far the best multi tools I've owned with my favorite being the Leatherman.
The slide up pliers aren't my preference.

Edit: Leatherman supertool 300
Gerber =? Still don't know lol.

2ejuneja.jpg

Last edited:

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
The Gerber is very like My BOB tool - a Paul Chen Multitasker, it certainly shares the same slide to deploy feature only mine deploys a pair of shears not a pair of pliers, choice is a good thing. Same Chinese manufacturer probably. Great value at £9.95 Still available.

chenlarge.jpg

G.Brooks

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman Charge TTi , by far best multy tool I ever used. Sv-30 blade sharpen on 30 degrees,now is scary sharp :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Must admit, bit surprised at the number of higher-quality multi-tools some of you guys have just sitting in a BOB.

amichljr1

Newly Enlightened
20+ year Leatherman from Cabelas going strong. Great tool! Just got a SOG B61N-CP PowerLock EOD 2.0. Sweet. That, my Fenix PD22UE, pen, & inspection mirror are my only Bombardier subway car inspection tools In the BOB. Oh, can't forget the clipboard. The collection of SOG weapons and such is another money pit. Lots of companies putting out exceptional gear! Many pricy hobbies these days. Fun fun...

iShaman

Newly Enlightened
Since I didn't know where else to put it this "retirement" gift went into my "BBOB" ... my backup bug out bag. I have a secondary bag with the gear that didn't make the cut for the first. I figure during the zombie apocalypse this backup BOB will give me items to barter with. Psst Buddy, wanna trade a giant Swiss Army Knife for that composite bow? Anyway, I give you the most um ... opulent and diverse multi tool ever made. My former employees gave this generous gift when I left my last job job (with a promise I'd never work for anyone but myself ever again!) and one of them pointed out that it had a "reamer" which may say something about my management style. Truth is they were a great crew with a well0developed sense of humor and they knew how much I loved knives, flashlights and newfangled tech ... and I miss them. The problem with family run businesses is that when the founder retires and "the family" takes over and DNA trumps performance then all hell breaks lose. By the time I left the lunatics were running the asylum ... into the ground. But I'll always have this... all 17 ounces of it.[h=1]Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp XAVT

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sU872ZR5L.jpg

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

The SwissChamp XAVT includes the following tools:[/h]

• Large blade
  • Small blade
  • Corkscrew
  • Can opener with
  • -small screwdriver 3 mm
  • Bottle opener with
  • -large screwdriver 6 mm
  • -wire stripper
  • Reamer
  • Key ring
  • Tweezers
  • Toothpick
  • Scissors
  • Multi-purpose hook (also parcel carrier)
  • Wood saw
  • Fishscaler with
  • -hook disgorger
  • -ruler (cm & inches)
  • Nail file with
  • -metal file
  • -nail cleaner
  • -metal saw
  • Fine screwdriver 2 mm
  • Chisel
  • Pliers with
  • -wire cutters
  • -wire crimping tool
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Magnifying Glass
  • Ball point pen
  • -also to set DIP-Switches
  • Pin
  • Mini-screwdriver
  • Sewing eye

• Wrench with
  • -5mm female Hex drive for D-SUB connectors
  • -4mm female Hex drive for the bits
  • -Bit Phillips 0 (Pozidrive)
  • -Bit Phillips 1 (Pozidrive)
  • -Bit Slotted 4 mm
  • -Bit Phillips 2
  • -Bit Hex 4 mm
  • -Bit Torx 8
  • -Bit Torx 10
  • -Bit Torx 15
  • Large blade
  • LED light, white
  • Multi-purpose hook with nailfile
  • Reamer
  • Pruning blade
  • Electrician's blade with wire scraper
  • -wire scraper
  • Pharmaceutical spatula
  • Combination tool with cap lifter
  • -can opener
  • -screwdriver
  • -wire stripper
  • Watch opener
  • Fine screwdriver 2 mm
  • Digital clock
  • Altimeter
  • Barometer
  • Alarm
  • Countdown
  • Timer
  • Thermometer

Last edited by a moderator:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Gerber multitool to keep in the boat dry compartment. I can generally fix or rig an issue till I get back to the launch point or any shore in a pinch.

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
20+ years of Gerber MPXXX

Got my first as 14-15th B-day present. Finally lost it fixing an airline on a roll-off truck on the side of the road when I was 20-21. Fiance got me a new one 2 days later, she knew how much I use them.
It now resides in the top of BOB.

Replaced with MP600, wore the wire cutters out over the next 10+ years. Kept for spare parts in a drawer.

Next was a MP600 w/carbide cutter inserts, thinking I can replace them when they get worn out. Only Gerber I dont care for. If you get the carbide on something and slip or twist, crunch, too hard and brittle. They will cut a 16P nail though, if you can squeeze hard enough.

Currently EDC MP600 scout.

For lifeissomething

I wonder if the pliers will ever break if I actually had to start using it all the time. If I remember correctly, they just sort of float inside the handle, lots of play, but possibly nothing really to make the pliers unusable? I hope we never have to find out? Anybody know about the long-term usability of these things?

The only way I have ever seen the jaws broke was when someone I worked with used them as a spanner wrench. Jaws open wide, inserted the tips of them in the holes ment for a spanner, them grabbed the handle one side in each hand and twisted............SNAP!!!
Broke the jaws where the deepest part of the "teeth" are.
Sent them to Gerber, and got them back w/new jaws, no questions asked.

Other than that, just dont use the knife blade(s) to pry. They will snap...... but to me that falls as abuse, so shouldn't happen anyway.

While I have your attention..........
I replaced the "remgrit" blade with a tungsten carbide jigsaw blade.
Got a brand/type/part #??? I have been looking, but cant find the right connecting end.

Tmack

No slots in the side, full size flick open style,
........that is a Gerber MP600.
I dont see the black of a Remgrit blade inside the handle, so I'll risk a guess its the #07530.
Should have full smooth blade, 3 straight screwdriver, and a file on one side.
Serrated blade, cross screwdriver, can opener, and lanyard thing on the other.

If it has scissors and a Remgrit blade in there its probably the Scout......#47563.

As mentioned I have/currently owned both.

Jim

qiqi

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Leatherman Super Tool in the past years.It's a little heavy for pocket,buy really a tough guy.

gsr

Enlightened
I currently have a Leatherman Blast in the BOB. I can't afford to deal with a crappy tool in an emergency situation.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
Unfortunately, I have seen Leatherman models with broken pliers. Also, my original Leatherman tool from back in the day is nearly rusted shut. I actually keep it in my junk drawer with the can-opener feature out. Sad to say, but Leatherman multi-tools rust far too easily.
thats hard to believe i have an original leatherman and i also have 2 micras and they have all been through hell. actually one of the micras is no more because it was confiscated at the airport by the wonderful security people who took it out of my carryon opened it up with that official scoffing look and said "what about this knife!!!" so i said "what are you afraid ill peel grapes during the flight?" but they didnt see the obvious humor in the 3/4 inch grape peeling blade or whatever so i am minus one micra. anyway they hold up great and my sample of one original leatherman and leather sheath has been through everything and has not broken or rusted. for over 10 years i have been living on the mediterranean and if it doesnt rust here it doesnt rust. so i dont know what happened to yours but you ought to take pics and send them into the company and see what they have to say. i also had a gerber i used in the desert for years and it was ok and smoother on the hands the leatherman does bite you but it didnt have the character. bottom line definitely leatherman. definitely.

scout24

Flashaholic
Original Wave stays in my vehicle bag, an older Sideclip is my edc multitool.
I can't stand losing bits out of the newer ones.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I carry the Skeletool CX everywhere I go. However, in my car, to-go bag, tool box, etc I have a Wave. Best bang for the buck. Although, the price has run up now that it has become the "recommended survival multi-tool" by so many bloggers.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums