Which type of flashlight do you prefer as EDC on keychain??

EDC Keychain AAA or AA

• AAA - Fits well and unobstrusive in pockets

Votes: 87 84.5%
  • AA - More runtime, more modes

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current preference is for a 1xAAA Fenix LD01 on 10440. adequately bright, run time about 40-45 min on med on 10440, Easy to carry. All of the AA lights have either worn out the bottom of my pockets (about 4-5 times now) or the clips wear out or rip the top corner of my pocket, which is unrepairable - lost a few pairs of pants that way. I use my lights a lot. I refuse to use holsters for lights. I used various previous versions of the LD01 as well. Tried a couple 1xAAA Preons. The Revo was pretty good - went to a friend.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently carrying a Maratac AA Nat with just my house keys attached by a ss gate clip. I like the bigger size so I can tell it's still in my pocket. If I had to ever drive a car I wouldn't like that setup but I don't.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
youve gone too far man, not even keys on your keychain

Thats what happens when you are on the verge of super-intelligence. The keys disappear.

Actually, I just don't like having a gigantic wad of janitor's keys slapping against the steering column or scratching up the front door to my mansion. So I carry a ring with only keys, and the one shown with only toys. I mean tools.

sassaquin

Enlightened
MY preference is a 10180 in either a Peak Eiger SS QTC or KuKu 40DD. The CR2 is also a favorite - I only wish there were more available lights using this wonderful, but overlooked, little battery. I own the stellar Muyshondt Aeon, but am always on the lookout for more quality CR2 lights.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the smallest and rechargeable

2 is one and 1 is none...so there is always a Photon II on my keys

but my EDC is a Lummi Wee or Kuku 40DD. Soon to add to the rotation, Kuku 44DD.

AAA or AA just too big for me.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....The CR2 is also a favorite - I only wish there were more available lights using this wonderful, but overlooked, little battery. I own the stellar Muyshondt Aeon, but am always on the lookout for more quality CR2 lights.

I agree .... Occasionally, a JiL Lite will appear on the MP - these are really great little torches, if you like CR2 format.

brianna

Enlightened
I believe it is important to have a really good edc key chain light. Chances are if something were to happen, this is the only light you may have if you make a quick trip from home. Say the mall, movies, grocery store, or parking garage. Most bad stuff usually happens within 10 miles of your home. Most of the population stays within this distance most of the time. Car insurance companies say most accidents occur within this distance for the 10 mile rule of thumb rule. If you were going on a trip or vacation, I am sure you would have plenty of lights. But for a short hop in the car it may be the only light you have so it should be a good one.
I carry the Fenix E15 because it is small enough to fit nice on a key chain, simple to use, and bright enough for a emergency. Seems to be reliable enough. I would rather have the same size Surefire, but they do not make anything small enough for a key chain. To me the T1A is just too large for key chain carry. I prefer to have the CR123a format because of brightness and run time. This could be your only light if you really need it, and thought oh I will just be out for 20 min.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
MY keychain light is just a few basic things:
1- A way never to leave home without a light
2- A backup to my actual EDC light
3- A key ornament for my car key
(I keep one car key with the house keys plus a separate car key that I use for the car, this way I'm never locked out of the car and my keys don't make an horrible clank sound when I hit a pothole. Now I'm thinking about the 2=1=none rule... maybe I need a third car key)

AAA lights work best for this mindset. I currently have my L0D on my keys, but I've been thinking about changing that for an E05 since it's even smaller... or should I put that one with the house keys in case I lock my car key and L0D inside the car??

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Damn...Overwhelming response and preference to AAA for pocketability as opposed to bells and whistles of an AA format...

I would have sworn flashaholics would not trump versatility for pocketability :p But then again, keychain is in another category...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Haven't been on CPF much, but AAA-Eneloop is my preference. The ITP A3 has held up remarkably well over the last 3-4 years. The type III finish is $$ well spent, as compared to the Gerber on my wifes keys.

dscn0263rw.jpg

dscn0265u.jpg

dscn0267aw.jpg

dscn0268un.jpg

tylernt

Enlightened
Overwhelming response and preference to AAA for pocketability as opposed to bells and whistles of an AA format...
What bells and whistles does AA have that AAA lacks? Plenty of multi-mode AAA lights out there with clickies and twistys and clips and such.

coltchris

Newly Enlightened
Anyone ever try a Titanium Innovations CA1? About a quarter inch shorter than LD01 with higher lumen/run time & $5 cheaper. Just wonder about overall quality & longevity.

Lite Me Up

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Fenix LD01 AAA stainless steel model on my driving key set. Although it is a lot heavier than it's aluminum cousin, the finishing has certainly held up well to the multitudes of scratches from the keys and other things. And because there is no paint to accentuate the scratches as the finish is in its natural colour.